U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2015, 03:08 PM

14,174 posts, read 22,544,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
Great, then we agree that the issue of sexual attraction is no where in the Constitution, thus does not have any role in governing who we want to get with.
Well... since the government offers the benefits of marriage to heterosexuals, then it must to the same for homosexuals. NOW it's equal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 03:09 PM

19,116 posts, read 10,137,245 times
Quote:
See, you don't understand analogies. You are being obtuse. I was not "comparing" frozen treats to sexual orientation, I was using frozen treats as an example to make the concept easier to understand. But apparently, not easy enough for some.

The analogy I provided clearly shows that the demand for a different item that is offered to everyone else, based solely on the particular tastes of a particular group is by its very nature, special treatment.

Nothing in my analogy indicated that the government was refusing to serve everyone equally, and there is no "ICE CREAM" faction...the free ice cream was offered to everyone equally...it is the free frozen yogurt faction that demands the special rights.
No, it's special treatment for the people who like and can eat ice cream, and unequal treatment for the people who don't like or can't eat ice cream. You mistake being in the majority for the right to have everything your way all the time and assume that other people also wanting things their way are seeking "special treatment." But from their point of view, you are the one getting special treatment. Just because you happen to like ice cream doesn't mean you are more entitled to a tax-payer funded special treat than someone who doesn't.

See, I understand analogies just fine. The problem is that yours lack logic.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Stop pulling out the old canard that sexual attraction is equal to ethnicity or race. It isn't. Your attempt to equate victims of the Holocaust and victims of fire hoses and police dogs is demeaning to both those groups and our intelligence.
And gay people haven't suffered due to ignorance and bigotry?

Old 02-12-2015, 03:11 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,732,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Which has nothing to do with why a purely 100% chosen behavior is given special protections in employment, and public accommodations.

Do you think that being fired for who I am married to is not a deeply emotional issue?
Do you think that being refused service because of who I am married to is not a deeply emotional issue?
Do you think that being denied the same rights as my neighbors because of who I am married to is not a deeply emotional issue?

I personally have no problems with gay marriage. I will say this about firing though. Florida where I live is a right to work state which means they can fire you for any reason. They can fire you if they do not like your shirt color and they do not really even have to tell you why you were fired and yes they do lie about the reason. No gay rights law will change anything here in Florida .

I also have a question .When you see how divorce in the hetersexual community can devastate lives why would you want to give someone else the power to do that to you? When relationships fail and turn nasty and partners start to hate each other, do you really want to give that person the legal right to financially destroy you, maybe even try to take you child custody rights away? When currently they do not have that right?

Old 02-12-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Blacks were not seeking to be treated differently because of who they were sexually attracted to. A black man wanted to be treated like any other man.

I don't even know what you mean about Mexicans being exploited and harvesting...

Women were seeking equal say in the election of office holders who would have a direct effect on their lives. They were asking for the same right to cast a single vote, just like men. They were not seeking a special privilege to vote twice because they are women. Gay men and straight men are both free to marry the opposite sex. Gay men want the special privilege to marry the same sex because that is who they are attracted to. SPECIAL TREATMENT.

Women lost the ERA if you recall...why, cause it was stupid and sought special treatment based on genitalia.
It's not "special treatment" for me to be married to the man I've been in love with for 18 years and am raising our children with. It's just ignorant to say it's "special treatment"

Old 02-12-2015, 03:14 PM

21,199 posts, read 20,162,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I personally have no problems with gay marriage. I will say this about firing though. Florida where I live is a right to work state which means they can fire you for any reason. They can fire you if they do not like your shirt color and they do not really even have to tell you why you were fired and yes they do lie about the reason. No gay rights law will change anything here in Florida .

I also have a question .When you see how divorce in the hetersexual community can devastate lives why would you want to give someone else the power to do that to you? When relationships fail and turn nasty and partners start to hate each other, do you really want to give that person the legal right to financially destroy you, maybe even try to take you child custody rights away? When currently they do not have that right?
Do you understand that without marriage, gays might not have any child custody rights in the first place? Most marriages do not end in divorce and everyone should have the right to make the choice to marry or not marry. YOU don't get to decide that it's "better" if gays can't get married.

14,253 posts, read 14,772,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post

That sounds like an argument for banning all marriage.

19,462 posts, read 9,774,745 times
Quote:
See, you don't understand analogies. You are being obtuse. I was not "comparing" frozen treats to sexual orientation, I was using frozen treats as an example to make the concept easier to understand. But apparently, not easy enough for some.

The analogy I provided clearly shows that the demand for a different item that is offered to everyone else, based solely on the particular tastes of a particular group is by its very nature, special treatment.

Nothing in my analogy indicated that the government was refusing to serve everyone equally, and there is no "ICE CREAM" faction...the free ice cream was offered to everyone equally...it is the free frozen yogurt faction that demands the special rights.
No I don't. I want marriage and all of the 1100+ legal privileges and protections. Why should the sex of the person I am marrying change that? Not one of those legal privileges or protections is sex specific. Both a man and a woman are impacted the same way.

Quote:
You are obtuse. And you also contradict your earlier claim that your marriage in no way is meant to control others' behavior. You just said that your marriage requires bakers not to bake cakes unless they cater to your sexual attraction!

You keep conflating the act of buying "a cake" with the connotation of the cake itself. I know for a fact that the florist that is being persecuted by the gay bullies in this state, sold flowers to them for more than 9 years, but did not want to create floral arrangements for their wedding based on her religious beliefs.

Why does the gay couple have to use the force of the state to strip this woman of her livelihood because they have to walk across the street to get wedding flowers? Why, because they have to bully society into embracing their desires no matter what rights or values they trample upon.

You think you have a right to be "in your face" about your sexual preferences, then complain that what you do in the privacy is not one else's business. You call everyone bigots and haters, when you think nothing of destroying businesses and people because of cakes and flowers.

When I look at all things considered, I don't see the business owners as the bigots and haters at all.
Sorry, but if they choose to discriminate against certain elements of the general public, then they have no business serving the general public.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I do hope that you don't make the same mistakes that others in your position have made. Some mistakes are not fixable. I do feel for your son and hope that he has people in his life that love him and want the best for him.
My mother doesn't think I should be married. She told me that it was a "sign of the end times" that my partner and I were having children via surrogacy. She's told me that I probably have demons in me and that I'm going to hell. Needless to say, we don't have much of a relationship. I won't be crying at her funeral, that's for sure. But she probably thinks she's a "good mother"

My family is my husband and children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or