U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2015, 10:37 AM

28,411 posts, read 14,158,219 times

Advertisements

Does Kansas have protection for people who stutter? No.

Do they need to add it? No.

Why not? Because harassment of any kind is already handled by the EEOC.

Harassment

Case closed.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 11:30 AM

5,664 posts, read 2,514,041 times
Gawd I am so tired of all this gay, lesibian, race, religion, transgender, and pot rights! etc!!

Some people are so self absorbed.

Quit taking up time with legislation and laws for more important issues.

And quit wasting tax payers money.

All for the sake of yourself or your group.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:31 AM

7,951 posts, read 3,742,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
I guess next up they will eradicate the rights of left handed people, or people with a certain eye/skin/hair colour?

What a red herring and absurd attempt at a comparative analogy.

It can be argued that homosexuals have a choice, with some clearly making a choice rather than it being inherent.
Regardless, their behavior is quite different than peoples race or ethnic background. When you start affording special rights/protection to people based on behavior that society objects to, where does it stop?

For that matter, when does it begin?
Why should homosexuals and the others mentioned like cross dressers be afforded special class status compared to other people with deviant behavior?
Must those people start advocacy groups and become activists in an effort to win such a classification? Lets not forget it was not all that long ago that even the mere act of homosexuality was against the law. Yet in a very short period of time, unelected judges, most of which are uber liberals went against the vote of the people to start a crack in the dam. Now the next thing you know, we have some states issuing special status for aberrant behavior. So if in the future NAMBLA gets a few favorable rulings, and their advocacy causes liberals to say, "what the heck, why is 17 years old any different than 18, it is only a one day difference", a new crack in another dam will open.

Before you know it, our society will be irreparably changed to where the Founding Fathers would not only disapprove, they would have no clue how we got so far off the path they set us upon.

`

Old 02-12-2015, 11:32 AM

10,577 posts, read 6,838,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Who tells their boss what their sexual orientation is? Are employers asking employees what their sexual orientation is? How can you protect or discriminate against someone unless they are being obnoxiously promiscuous about their sexual orientation, in which case maybe they should be fired (homo- or heterosexual).
Anyone who puts a photo of their family on their desk at work. Anyone who has any sort of social connection with their boss.

My boss knows that I'm a man and that I'm married to a woman. That's a pretty big tip-off as to my sexual orientation, don't you think? Last week we had a talk about restaurants, and I mentioned that my wife and I had gone out to a certain local establishment. Again, that sort of outs me as straight, don't you think? Now, why on Earth should someone who is gay cover up the fact that they have a spouse or significant other of the same gender? And what planet do you live on where you can only figure out if someone is straight or gay if they're obnoxiously promiscuous?

I know the sexual orientation of all six of the people with whom I immediately work, and a lot more of the people in other departments that I work with on an occasional basis, because we make small talk about our lives and what we do. I also know where a lot of them live (the city, which suburb, out in the country, etc.) and what they enjoy (the motorheads, the technology geeks, the horse afficionado, the medieval re-enactor, etc.) - if I happen to know these aspects of their lives, why should it be shocking that I happen to know the gender of their partner?

Of course, it is not shocking. It is not surprising. People are under no expectation to conceal the fact that they're gay just because you don't like it. And your underlying insinuation that people who get fired from their job because they're gay have only themselves to blame because they're not closeted at work says volumes.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:41 AM

29,879 posts, read 15,241,387 times
Quote:
Who tells their boss what their sexual orientation is? Are employers asking employees what their sexual orientation is? How can you protect or discriminate against someone unless they are being obnoxiously promiscuous about their sexual orientation, in which case maybe they should be fired (homo- or heterosexual).
"obnoxiously promiscuous"? If someone at your workplace asks what you did over the week-end, and you say "Went to the park with my boyfriend/girlfriend", does that count as "obnoxiously promiscuous"?

Old 02-12-2015, 11:43 AM

14,174 posts, read 22,522,283 times
Quote:
Every heterosexual most certainly does tell their boss and coworkers what their sexual orientation is. When people discuss what they did with their wives, husbands and children over the weekend, that lets everyone know they're heterosexual.

As a gay, married man with children, when I mention at work that I have children, people of course ask about my "wife". So I correct them and let them know I have a male partner/husband. What would you have me do? Pretend to have a wife? Where I live and work, it's not an issue. But I don't live in some backwater gay-hating state like Kansas.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:48 AM

19,428 posts, read 9,758,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

It can be argued that homosexuals have a choice, with some clearly making a choice rather than it being inherent.
Regardless, their behavior is quite different than peoples race or ethnic background. When you start affording special rights/protection to people based on behavior that society objects to, where does it stop?

Why should homosexuals and the others mentioned like cross dressers be afforded special class status compared to other people with deviant behavior?
Must those people start advocacy groups and become activists in an effort to win such a classification? Lets not forget it was not all that long ago that even the mere act of homosexuality was against the law. Yet in a very short period of time, unelected judges, most of which are uber liberals went against the vote of the people to start a crack in the dam. Now the next thing you know, we have some states issuing special status for aberrant behavior. So if in the future NAMBLA gets a few favorable rulings, and their advocacy causes liberals to say, "what the heck, why is 17 years old any different than 18, it is only a one day difference", a new crack in another dam will open.

Before you know it, our society will be irreparably changed to where the Founding Fathers would not only disapprove, they would have no clue how we got so far off the path they set us upon.

`
You mean like the special protections for religion, which unlike sexual orientation is 100% a chosen behavior?

If you believe that people can choose who they are attracted to, go an and choose to be attracted to someone of the same sex. I mean full on romantic and sexual attraction. Show us how easy it is to choose your sexual orientation.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:49 AM

322 posts, read 215,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Every heterosexual most certainly does tell their boss and coworkers what their sexual orientation is. When people discuss what they did with their wives, husbands and children over the weekend, that lets everyone know they're heterosexual.

As a gay, married man with children, when I mention at work that I have children, people of course ask about my "wife". So I correct them and let them know I have a male partner/husband. What would you have me do? Pretend to have a wife? Where I live and work, it's not an issue. But I don't live in some backwater gay-hating state like Kansas.
And there's no reason it should be an issue. People want to legislate morality. It's the same movement as the prohibition movement.

This applies to both sides, however. The idea that if a state government or judge institutes same-sex marriage as legal, all discussions of the morality of it must cease, and everyone who isn't an enthusiastic supporter is a bigot and should be silenced/fired/ostracized is prevalent.

Both sides suffer from the same disease.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:51 AM

14,174 posts, read 22,522,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

`
It must suck to be a bigot on the losing side. I can see it angers you that gay people are no longer a punching bag of society. And your reference to NAMBLA is ridiculous

Old 02-12-2015, 11:52 AM

30,520 posts, read 9,123,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
That's a good point.

So, I'll ask you: should people be fired over behavior like, oh, marrying the person s/he loves?

Lol, people are still spouting this crud? We've all seen that the agenda has nothing to do with "being able to love who we love" and everything to do with controlling everyone else's behavior--and speech.

Chuck all "special protections." Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or