U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2015, 05:02 PM

920 posts, read 481,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Virginia Racial Integrity Act of 1924

(Code Ann. A7 20-57) Virginia law from 1750.
That doesn't really define marriage, it states that people of different racial backgrounds cannot marry. It has nothing to do with defining or redefining marriage, but everything to do with denying skin color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 05:02 PM

30,129 posts, read 15,421,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
When people compare homosexuality to bestiality or pedophilia, THAT is a comparison. An analogy uses an example to explain a concept.
Mirriam-Webster disagree, but what do they know?

Analogy - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Quote:
Yes, asking for left handed scissors is special treatment. I am left handed, and while using right handed scissors in not as easy as lefties, I would not demand that someone run out and buy scissors just for me.
Really? If the government announced that every American had the right to a pair of scissors, would you consider it special treatment that lefties got scissors they could actually use? (Actually, the scissor comparison is pretty bad, in that we're not even talking about no free scissors - we're talking on a ban on leftie scissors. And yes, I know I brought up scissors. My bad.)

Quote:
Should Jewish store owners in the US that observe the Sabbath on Saturdays, require the law to change so that ALL BUSINESSES must be closed on Saturday, so they won't lose business. Is that religious discrimination?
Not sure I understand. Are you referring to the loss of business as discrimination, or is it the forced closure of gentile businesses on the sabbath?

Quote:
No, but to demand the government change the law to accommodate them would be seeking special treatment.
You mean to imply that enforcing even the most heartfelt religious preferences with the force of law is wrong? By George, you've got it!

Quote:
How is gay marriage going over in Saudi Arabia?
Did you just call me obtuse? I'm amused.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:03 PM

19,463 posts, read 9,850,041 times
Quote:
It's scary that people refuse to see that hate and scariness play no role in this discussion. You use those terms in order to dismiss any logical discussion out of your own fear and bigotry.

It's okay, sometimes it's hard to understand that people with valid opposing opinions from you are neither scared nor hate you, they merely have different values and positions on certain issues. If you hate me and are scared of me because of my values or opinions, that must by why you assume I hate you or am scared of you for yours.

But, you are wrong.
I don't care about your values or opinions. I care when you try to enforce laws that violate the constitutional protections afforded all citizens against me. Keep your values and opinions on how to live your life in your life and let me live mine with the same legal protections that you have.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:04 PM

19,463 posts, read 9,850,041 times
Quote:
That doesn't really define marriage, it states that people of different racial backgrounds cannot marry. It has nothing to do with defining or redefining marriage, but everything to do with denying skin color.
It defines what is a legal marriage in the state of Virginia, which included the race of the people getting married.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:05 PM

30,129 posts, read 15,421,228 times
Quote:
That doesn't really define marriage, it states that people of different racial backgrounds cannot marry.
And how does one arrive at the legal definition of marriage? By taking into account all laws governing marriage in the local jurisdiction.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:06 PM

21,199 posts, read 20,241,193 times
Quote:
It's scary that people refuse to see that hate and scariness play no role in this discussion. You use those terms in order to dismiss any logical discussion out of your own fear and bigotry.

It's okay, sometimes it's hard to understand that people with valid opposing opinions from you are neither scared nor hate you, they merely have different values and positions on certain issues. If you hate me and are scared of me because of my values or opinions, that must by why you assume I hate you or am scared of you for yours.

But, you are wrong.
There is no logical reason to deny equal rights to people. It's hard for me to understand your opinion because I do not see it as a valid opinion. I do not think that you hate me or are scared of me. I think that you are afraid that there is nothing wrong with homosexuality and you are afraid of treating homosexuals equal under the law. I also do not believe that you are able to recognize your own fear but I hope for the sake of your son that you are able to overcome it.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:07 PM

920 posts, read 481,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
So heterosexuality is a behavior, if you're going to say homosexuality is. Then why, based on heterosexual behavior, would they get special rights of marriage?
Heterosexuality is a behavior. The act of sex, hetero or homo is a behavior, right? Marriage is not conferred on people on the basis of their sexual behavior, it is based on their sex/gender.

That's the point. Homosexuals seek special treatment in that they want to redefine marriage and base it on the sexual behavior of the participants and not the sex/gender of the participants as has been defined since the Western civilization was created.

Do you think that a hetero couple must copulate in the clerk's office in order to get a license? It has nothing to do with behavior...and that what homosexuals want changed.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:07 PM

3,502 posts, read 1,723,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I feel confused about what behavior this LGBT rights law would have protected gay people from or allowed? To be honest while I have no prejudice against gays I would feel uncomfortable if for instance a male with full male parts who says his gender identity is a female wanted to use the ladies room, or if a cross dressing guy wants to show up for work dressed in a skirt and lipstick.
It would protect gay people from being fired demoted, or otherwise discriminated against in employment for being gay, just like other employment discrimination protections.

Quote:
No one forced them to open a family business 40 years ago, but one gay couple (who had been customers for over 9 years) can destroy a legacy because they had to walk across the street to get a cake.

If you think that endears the gay community and their "fight for equality" to the community at large, you are crazy. It's not about homophobia, it is about the militant attitude that gays require more than tolerance or even acceptance. There is no middle ground with gays, either embrace and celebrate homosexuality willingly or WE WILL TAKE YOU DOWN.

It is not about being treated "equally" it is about being treated specially and by trampling on the rights of others to prove their "equality."

Gays have become the bullies they detest, they just refuse to deal with it.
Being treated equally means being accommodated, as customers, by businesses that are open to the public. The same arguments you make were made by the owners of segregated restaurants, buses, and hotels. They were on the wrong side, and so are you.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:08 PM

11,428 posts, read 16,103,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Who tells their boss what their sexual orientation is? Are employers asking employees what their sexual orientation is? How can you protect or discriminate against someone unless they are being obnoxiously promiscuous about their sexual orientation, in which case maybe they should be fired (homo- or heterosexual).
I know every single one of my coworkers' spouses names. If a ring appears on a finger, we typically take a few moments to talk engagement. I don't have to say I'm straight for my coworkers to know that's true - they just have to look at the photos on my desk.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:09 PM

21,199 posts, read 20,241,193 times
As for these analogies - they would only be accurate analogies if they represented the actual situation. So - if the ice cream was not just ice cream but it had special healing powers - and it was free - but only to couples with red hair - while all other couples were denied the healing powers of the ice cream - that would be a better analogy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or