U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2015, 09:45 PM

920 posts, read 477,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Washington passed same sex marriage by voter referendum. Did the Governor make the voters vote to approve SSM?

It passed with 53.7% approval.
No, the governor unilaterally enacted the legislation. That vote was to repeal it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Yes, because the only word that matter in regards to the laws and legal protections is marriage.

You are only obsessed with the word because you seem to think you have some special right to tell others what words they can use.
You think you have some special right to tell people what they can think.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
So you do not support bans on same sex marriage.

Good to hear.
If that's what you need to infer to make you feel better. Then enjoy you

Old 02-12-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
I'm not gay so I couldn't say whether it would be satisfactory. FYI, not everyone who supports marriage equality is gay.
And not everyone who doesn't believe in the government conferring special privileges on gay people are straight.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:56 PM

7,951 posts, read 3,742,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
So heterosexuality is a behavior, if you're going to say homosexuality is. Then why, based on heterosexual behavior, would they get special rights of marriage?

Oh brother, you cannot really be that obtuse.
For starters, hetro's engage in normal sexual behavior where as homo's do not(despite PC redefining shenanigans to the contrary)
Marriage as it has traditionally been defined throughout history by Christians (and before also, but I will stick to modern times) as between 1 man & 1 woman. So there are no special rights as you put it.

As to society as a whole, special incentives are being granted for married couples (i.e. tax breaks) to encourage couples to get married, as it is good for a healthy society. The main reason for this is twofold. For starters it promotes procreation, as any society needs a constant supply of citizens to sustain itself. The USA is currently below the needed rate of children to properly sustain itself. Furthermore, a two parent household is more likely to produce educated, healthy and productive members of society.
So while one could argue that those special benefits seem unfair, society has many rules/laws which favor some people/behavior, and discourages other behavior like crime for it's citizens well being.
I am not really sure how those basics have eluded you. You do not have to have to be a futurist, sociologist, or have a degree in city/societal planning to know these things.

`

Old 02-12-2015, 10:02 PM

19,428 posts, read 9,758,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
No, the governor unilaterally enacted the legislation. That vote was to repeal it.
Quote:
Voters in Maryland, Maine and Washington state approved same-sex marriage on Tuesday, marking the first time marriage rights have been extended to same-sex couples by popular vote.

In Maryland, the measure passed 52 percent to 48 percent. In Maine, voters supported the proposal 53 percent to 47 percent, with 75 percent of precincts reporting. And in Washington, a gay marriage measure was approved 52 percent to 48 percent.
Maryland, Maine, Washington approve gay marriage | Reuters

Referendum Measure No. 74 Concerns marriage for same-sex couples

Quote:
If approved, this measure would allow same-sex couples to marry. Other prohibitions on marriage, such as those based on age, being closely related, and already being married to somebody else would continue to apply. Marriage laws would apply without regard to gender. This measure specifies that gender-specific terms like husband and wife will be construed to be gender-neutral and will apply to spouses of the same sex.
https://weiapplets.sos.wa.gov/MyVote...&electionId=46

You were saying?

Old 02-12-2015, 10:03 PM

19,428 posts, read 9,758,489 times
Quote:
You think you have some special right to tell people what they can think.
Nope, I don't care what you think. You can be all ticked off that I get to have a legal marriage, that is your problem.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:06 PM

3,196 posts, read 2,357,372 times
Quote:
And not everyone who doesn't believe in the government conferring special privileges on gay people are straight.
Special privileges? You mean equality? And find me one openly gay American who doesn't support marriage equality. I'll wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

For starters, hetro's engage in normal sexual behavior where as homo's do not(despite PC redefining shenanigans to the contrary)
Homosexuality is as natural as photosynthesis. Homosexuality exists within just about every vertebrate species.

Quote:
Marriage as it has traditionally been defined throughout history by Christians (and before also, but I will stick to modern times) as between 1 man & 1 woman. So there are no special rights as you put it.
Who cares how Christians or history define marriage? America is all about cutting your own path, shaking up the system.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:55 PM

6,128 posts, read 3,331,721 times
Quote:

As to society as a whole, special incentives are being granted for married couples (i.e. tax breaks) to encourage couples to get married, as it is good for a healthy society. The main reason for this is twofold. For starters it promotes procreation, as any society needs a constant supply of citizens to sustain itself. The USA is currently below the needed rate of children to properly sustain itself. Furthermore, a two parent household is more likely to produce educated, healthy and productive members of society.
So while one could argue that those special benefits seem unfair, society has many rules/laws which favor some people/behavior, and discourages other behavior like crime for it's citizens well being.
I am not really sure how those basics have eluded you. You do not have to have to be a futurist, sociologist, or have a degree in city/societal planning to know these things.

`
Any definition derived from any religion is totally irrelevant in the law. Why do you insist on repeating things with no bearing on the conversation? And why do you insist on believing your personal definition of what may or not be normal has any bearing on the law? Can you not see the disconnect between the two?

Further, while there may have been some historic basis for government recognizing marriages, there is absolutely no reason for such discriminatory policies to continue and no legitimate benefit to the public in seeing it endure.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:48 PM

237 posts, read 177,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
My mother doesn't think I should be married. She told me that it was a "sign of the end times" that my partner and I were having children via surrogacy. She's told me that I probably have demons in me and that I'm going to hell. Needless to say, we don't have much of a relationship. I won't be crying at her funeral, that's for sure. But she probably thinks she's a "good mother"

My family is my husband and children.
I am so very sorry, I don't understand this at all. I know it exists, but I don't understand it. I am glad you have made a "real" family for yourself and wish you all the best in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or