U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-13-2015, 03:17 PM
 
920 posts, read 478,496 times
Reputation: 638

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I gotta call you out on this one, since this is a bald-faced lie. It is NOT demanding special treatment under the law - it's demanding the same treatment under the law. If there's on thing I cannot tolerate, it's people spreading lies, and this is a clear example of such a lie. And in case you don't know this, we have the right to be free from religious influence in this country, not be subjected to it. You keep away from my right to be married to my partner, and I'll be more than happy to respect your right to worship as you like.

And I refuse to be bullied by your desire to impose your religious beliefs upon me and the Constitution of the United States. If you're saying this doesn't affect you personally, then why are you wasting time trying to stop the inevitable tide of progress? Face it, you're just not going to win this battle. It's over. Give it up already.

Waaah, waah, waah. I refuse to bully you. This has nothing to do with "winning or losing" some battle that the gay community seems to be waging.

You can call me on anything you want, but that doesn't make your argument valid. You can walk down to the local courthouse or church and get married today to anyone of the opposite sex, just like every other citizen in this country (of legal age). You are not denied the right to get married more than any other person in this country. The fact is, you don't want the SAME right to get married, you want SPECIAL TREATMENT to marry the person you are sexually attracted to and that has nothing to do with religion or morality or anything other than the fact that you want marriage to mean what you want it mean, and that is seeking special treatment under the law.

I don't need your respect to worship how I want. My faith or lack thereof is none of your business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-13-2015, 03:17 PM
 
672 posts, read 584,920 times
Reputation: 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
You wore mixed fibers? You sinner! I don't care for your kind and will not sell you a wedding cake.
Good thing that I am already married, then, and my wedding cake was fabulous, by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2015, 03:17 PM
 
29,976 posts, read 15,292,348 times
Reputation: 15697
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
I'm not going to get into a biblical debate with you.
You throw out Leviticus to support your position but refuses to "get into a biblical debate"?

Quote:
I have no problem with slavery as discussed in Leviticus...
Mmmkay, then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2015, 03:21 PM
 
12,089 posts, read 5,635,486 times
Reputation: 13606
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
No one has argued that homosexuality is a harmful behavior towards others. Why are you jumping into the middle of a discussion, parsing words and trying to argue something unrelated?
I'm jumping on your post because it made no sense. It seems you still don't understand that since you didn't respond to it. How can you not understand something so implicitly basic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2015, 03:21 PM
 
107 posts, read 95,954 times
Reputation: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
Waaah, waah, waah. I refuse to bully you. This has nothing to do with "winning or losing" some battle that the gay community seems to be waging.

You can call me on anything you want, but that doesn't make your argument valid. You can walk down to the local courthouse or church and get married today to anyone of the opposite sex, just like every other citizen in this country (of legal age). You are not denied the right to get married more than any other person in this country. The fact is, you don't want the SAME right to get married, you want SPECIAL TREATMENT to marry the person you are sexually attracted to and that has nothing to do with religion or morality or anything other than the fact that you want marriage to mean what you want it mean, and that is seeking special treatment under the law.

I don't need your respect to worship how I want. My faith or lack thereof is none of your business.
wtf are you even on about lol

I am legitimately confused by this.

"they just want to get married like everyone else".

"but that's SPECIAL TREATMENT but I'm not even describing whatever extra thing it is that they want".

lmao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2015, 03:21 PM
 
920 posts, read 478,496 times
Reputation: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlcockatoo View Post
I am not using history to support a position on LGBT marriage. I am simply refuting the claim that heterosexual marriage is the norm of human culture for the purposes of procreation. It was you who originally made that statement, and if you really want to get wrapped up in this ego debate I will dig up that post and show it to you.

Here's another point to consider: heterosexuality in history was predominately a component of pedastry, and that that those same cultures engaged in other debauchery (like rape of children and women) which was sanctioned by the state. Yes the same is true for heterosexuality. It was previously the norm for young girls to be married off to older men in an arranged marriage, where they were often forced into sex by entitled husbands, with little to no protection offered by society. This was true in Europe, the Middle East, etc. and is still true for some people. It was common in many societies for heterosexuals to engage in the same behaviour (such as in many Tibetan monasteries, which was systematic prior to the 1959 occupation- not that I am justifying the occupation either). What about the entire concept of war rape being 'okay' (especially in WWII as a recent example)? Attempting to limit 'immoral' behaviour only to homosexual 'partnerships' is completely absurd. This isn't cherry picking either. These were the established norms across vast societies.

If you really want me to go into NAMBLA, no, I do not support that because of issues relating to consent. Homosexuality must still be practised between consenting adults. That is a consistent position. History does not condemn or support a position, it simply gives another perspective on an issue.

let me just say this to tie this back to modern times: heterosexuality does not imply rape. homosexuality does not imply rape. end of. neither need to have some weird purpose attached to them like procreation either.

No one is trying to limit homosexual behavior. At least, I am not.

As far as not supporting NAMBLA, you argue consent, but there are psychiatrist that hold positions that pedophilia is an innate orientation and that laws that criminalize that type of relationship are forcing moral viewpoints onto individuals who are different, because of fear and lack of education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2015, 03:22 PM
 
920 posts, read 478,496 times
Reputation: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Agreed. This is one of the verses that first caused me to question whether a Divine Being had really written "the book", or if a bunch of people had.

Really, just that one verse? Questioning is a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2015, 03:23 PM
 
12,089 posts, read 5,635,486 times
Reputation: 13606
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
The fact is, you don't want the SAME right to get married, you want SPECIAL TREATMENT to marry the person you are sexually attracted to and that has nothing to do with religion or morality or anything other than the fact that you want marriage to mean what you want it mean, and that is seeking special treatment under the law.
Why are you demanding special treatment to marry the person you are sexually attracted to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2015, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Sunrise
10,869 posts, read 13,685,374 times
Reputation: 8987
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2015, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Turlock, CA
322 posts, read 216,086 times
Reputation: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
No one is trying to limit homosexual behavior. At least, I am not.

As far as not supporting NAMBLA, you argue consent, but there are psychiatrist that hold positions that pedophilia is an innate orientation and that laws that criminalize that type of relationship are forcing moral viewpoints onto individuals who are different, because of fear and lack of education.
The consent issue is with the minor, not the adult.

The mental status of the adult isn't the concern, it's the minor that isn't capable of giving consent and so must be protected by law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top