U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-13-2015, 02:26 PM
 
Location: Middle of nowhere
19,428 posts, read 9,754,029 times
Reputation: 7535

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
Dang, jjrose, you are the most narcissistic poster I have ever run across. Why is everything about forcing YOU to live by something or forcing YOU to think a certain way.

Everything in this life is NOT ABOUT YOU. I know you think you are special and entitled, but guess what? There are millions of people in this world that don't give a "rat's rectum" about what you think or how you think or what you do.

You are of no consequence to me...isn't that what you have been telling me all along, so why do you keep trying to insinuate yourself into my life by falsely claiming that my opinions and my values are in anyway directed towards you???
Because people like YOU are pushing to deny ME equal rights.

This IS personal to me. This causes real issues in my life.

Thanks for the personal attack BTW. I have noticed when posters can not actually debate a topic they tend to resort to personal attacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-13-2015, 02:28 PM
 
7,405 posts, read 4,442,210 times
Reputation: 8376
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
jjrose, if I thought this argument came from an adult with an average IQ, I would still shake my head.

You keep equating your own made up concepts to the reality that exists today when it comes to Judeo-Christian principles. You are not making anyone look ridiculous, except yourself.

You really cannot grasp the concept of religious freedom, because you do not believe that people are entitled to that constitutionally guaranteed freedom if it impacts whatever you want.

I have children. I get it.
I guess "ridiculous" is in the eye of the beholder.

Religious freedom does not mean one freedom to infringe upon the rights of others. This is a very basic concept, and very simple to grasp. It has been upheld time and again in various landmark Supreme Court cases.

Pretending otherwise, over and over and over, does not really advance your argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2015, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Middle of nowhere
19,428 posts, read 9,754,029 times
Reputation: 7535
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
Waaah, waah, waah. I refuse to bully you. This has nothing to do with "winning or losing" some battle that the gay community seems to be waging.

You can call me on anything you want, but that doesn't make your argument valid. You can walk down to the local courthouse or church and get married today to anyone of the opposite sex, just like every other citizen in this country (of legal age). You are not denied the right to get married more than any other person in this country. The fact is, you don't want the SAME right to get married, you want SPECIAL TREATMENT to marry the person you are sexually attracted to and that has nothing to do with religion or morality or anything other than the fact that you want marriage to mean what you want it mean, and that is seeking special treatment under the law.

I don't need your respect to worship how I want. My faith or lack thereof is none of your business.
So heterosexuals do not have a special right since only they can marry someone they are sexually attracted to? How does that work? Are heterosexuals not sexually attracted to people of the opposite sex?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2015, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Type 0.7 Kardashev
10,577 posts, read 6,836,206 times
Reputation: 37337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You throw out Leviticus to support your position but refuses to "get into a biblical debate"?

Mmmkay, then.
And then, of course, there's this Old Testament 'logic':

Person who dislikes gays: "We can't allow gays to marry because of Leviticus!"
Person who has no problem with the Equal Protection Clause: "Then why don't we stone adulterers?"
Person who dislikes gays: [dramatic eye-roll] "Because of Jesus. The New Covenent replaced the Mosaic Law of the Old Testament."
Person who has no problem with the Equal Protection Clause: "Okay... so why can't gays marry?"
Person who dislikes gays: "Leviticus!"



Not only does their real-world logic fail to make a lick of sense, even their own internal logic doesn't follow any sort of coherent logic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2015, 02:32 PM
 
920 posts, read 477,171 times
Reputation: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I'm jumping on your post because it made no sense. It seems you still don't understand that since you didn't respond to it. How can you not understand something so implicitly basic?

Because I don't understand what you are talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2015, 02:34 PM
 
7,405 posts, read 4,442,210 times
Reputation: 8376
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post

As for the prohibition on murder, we can trace farther back than Moses--the Code of Hammurabi, a Babylonian legal text.
Or we can read our own Declaration of Independence, and see that we all have the unalienable rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2015, 02:34 PM
 
Location: FROM Dixie, but IN SoCal
3,491 posts, read 5,298,953 times
Reputation: 3737
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Why are you demanding special treatment to marry the person you are sexually attracted to?
Oh-dear-merciful-heavens! No one -- repeat, NO ONE -- is demanding "special treatment." Get that out of your head, and out of your narrow minds, right-danged-now!

The issue on the table is one of "equal treatment". In the specific words of the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America, no government may "deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws." (Look it up.)

Here's the deal, folks. If such a Constitutionally-guaranteed thing is so repugnant to you, perhaps a change-of-venue is your best bet. I'm sure there are a lot of countries in the world where your viewpoint would be welcomed. In particular, I understand that ISIS is actively recruiting...

According to the terms of the Constitution, such a viewpoint won't be tolerated here -- at least, not in the body of laws under which we must all live and cooperate. You have the right to such an opinion; you DO NOT have the right to impose your personal views on the lives of others.

Regards,

-- Nighteyes (who is Straight but by no means Narrow)

Last edited by Nighteyes; 02-13-2015 at 03:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2015, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Turlock, CA
322 posts, read 214,795 times
Reputation: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
And then, of course, there's this Old Testament 'logic':

Person who dislikes gays: "We can't allow gays to marry because of Leviticus!"
Person who has no problem with the Equal Protection Clause: "Then why don't we stone adulterers?"
Person who dislikes gays: [dramatic eye-roll] "Because of Jesus. The New Covenent replaced the Mosaic Law of the Old Testament."
Person who has no problem with the Equal Protection Clause: "Okay... so why can't gays marry?"
Person who dislikes gays: "Leviticus!"



Not only does their real-world logic fail to make a lick of sense, even their own internal logic doesn't follow any sort of coherent logic...
The new testament also makes reference to homosexuality being a sin. In addition, abolishment of the punishment (stoning) for adultery doesn't make that any less of a sin today.

That said, the Bible doesn't say "homosexuals can't get married, so don't even try to pass a law about it!". It just says that it's a sin to do so. Lots of people sin, and if you don't believe the Bible, they don't care about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2015, 02:36 PM
 
7,405 posts, read 4,442,210 times
Reputation: 8376
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
Dang, jjrose, you are the most narcissistic poster I have ever run across. Why is everything about forcing YOU to live by something or forcing YOU to think a certain way.

Everything in this life is NOT ABOUT YOU. I know you think you are special and entitled, but guess what? There are millions of people in this world that don't give a "rat's rectum" about what you think or how you think or what you do.

You are of no consequence to me...isn't that what you have been telling me all along, so why do you keep trying to insinuate yourself into my life by falsely claiming that my opinions and my values are in anyway directed towards you???
Probably because, unlike you, she is being prevented from legally marrying the person she has chosen to spend her life with.

If you were not allowed to be legally married to your husband, you would most likely feel it was about you in a very personal way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2015, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
4,444 posts, read 4,358,509 times
Reputation: 3324
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
Waaah, waah, waah. I refuse to bully you. This has nothing to do with "winning or losing" some battle that the gay community seems to be waging.

You can call me on anything you want, but that doesn't make your argument valid. You can walk down to the local courthouse or church and get married today to anyone of the opposite sex, just like every other citizen in this country (of legal age). You are not denied the right to get married more than any other person in this country. The fact is, you don't want the SAME right to get married, you want SPECIAL TREATMENT to marry the person you are sexually attracted to and that has nothing to do with religion or morality or anything other than the fact that you want marriage to mean what you want it mean, and that is seeking special treatment under the law.

I don't need your respect to worship how I want. My faith or lack thereof is none of your business.

Don't you realize how ludicrous you sound? You have the right to marry a man. Why don't *I* have the same right to marry a man? Tell me why I shouldn't have that right? How is this remotely "special treatment"? There is no possible way for you to answer that in the affirmative. There. Just. Isn't.

I don't think you realize how much of a fool you're making yourself out to be - there's gotta be a least a dozen posters tag-teaming against your position on this thread. I tell you what, you sure must be bored outta your mind to keep on like this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top