U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 11:54 AM

920 posts, read 476,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Sorry you don't like some states anti-discrimination laws, but they exist, and all businesses have to follow the same laws.

No one cares if you "embrace" anything. You can love me, hate me, call me a big doo doo head, I don't care, but as an American citizen I am entitled to the same constitutional rights you enjoy including the right to equal protection of the laws.

The "will of the people" doesn't matter when it comes to constitutional protections. We are not a direct democracy, you do not get to vote on other peoples rights.
Really? So why are florist, baker and photographer's rights to religious freedom and rights to earn a living being determined as a result of special treatment for homosexuals?

We have a republican form of government, but when voting on issues at the polls, the majority wins. Isn't that direct democracy? We don't use the electoral college to elect town counsel or mayors do we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 11:55 AM

886 posts, read 440,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
What "special treatment" is it to ask that at work, you be judged on your WORK, not your relationships/orientation? It doesn't mean you can't fire a gay person, only that you can't fire a gay person BECAUSE they are gay. Just like you can't fire a black person BECAUSE they are Black, but you can still fire them, ditto with religion, disabled, etc.

Orientation was written into the specific list of people you can't (in some places) discriminate against, specifically because it was happening. You don't hear of anybody firing someone for, say, having red hair, thus there is no need for "hair color protection". However, some people still don't want a "damned *****" working for them even if said person is their top employee.

how do you know people aren't fired for having red hair? How do you know people are fired because of their orientation? What do we do about the people who are terrible employees then scream discrimination?

Old 02-12-2015, 11:55 AM

19,036 posts, read 10,056,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
To me, denverian, your statement I bolded is such a double standard.

Like me and accept me for being gay, but if you dare not agree with it, you are a bigot.
One has the right to not agree or like it.

That behavior and attitude their is what makes people sick of all this.
Not so much being gay or lesbian, which I could give a rats you know what.

It is this behavior that is shoved onto society THEN a double standard!!
So in other words, the one protected class you think should be allowed is bigots?

GLBT people exist. Many are happily married, gainfully employed parents and spouses. You don't get to agree or disagree whether they have a right to be. No one said you had to like them, just that you don't get a vote on whether to "accept" them, because they are already here.

And no one should get a right to discriminate and say a GLBT does not get to have a job or buy a house or marry the person they love because you don't like it. Their doing those things in no way affects your ability to live your life, and just not liking it doesn't qualify.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:57 AM

7,841 posts, read 6,923,609 times
Quote:

Like me and accept me for being gay, but if you dare not agree with it, you are a bigot.

What "attitude"? The refusal of gays to kowtow to bigots who wrap themselves in self-righteous indignation when they're confronted about their bigotry?

Gays didn't start this debate. They didn't do anything. The bigot who sits in the Topeka statehouse and his Right Wing cronies and supporters did, and dollars to donuts, they did it to take Kansans' minds off the fact that their state is going down the toilet because of the govie and his cronies' "economic" policies.

Undoubtedly you blame other groups that get dumped on by the majority when they dare complaim about being dumped on, too, right?

Old 02-12-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The constitution has to do with government laws and treatment, not how businesses operate.
If a business says I won't hire Christians then they would be breaking anti-discrimination laws that protect religion.

Funny how you guys always think about who I'm "bumping uglies" with when it is not even a topic of this discussion. And you people say all we think about is sex.
Ever been to a Pride Parade? I lived through the joys of the "We're Here, We're *****" movement, (where homosexuals would converge on bars and restaurants and engage in exaggerated displays of sexual expression to get reactions from other customers). It seems that we get that idea from your community.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:01 PM

14,174 posts, read 22,509,046 times
Quote:

Yes, I tend not to tolerate people who want me to shut up and pretend to be heterosexual.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Don't act as a bigot, don't get called a bigot.
Who determines what actions are deemed bigoted? Those who seek special treatment? Yeah, that makes sense.

How about you stop asking for special treatment and stop crying bigot when others don't accept your reality as truth.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
What to do when say these supposed love-based marriages hinders the employer from operating an efficient and profitable business, and then these supposed loved-based marriages fail and end in divorce?
"supposed"... my, my, showing our bigotry here?

How would a gay person doing their job "hinder" their employer? I suppose it could in the same way a black man would hinder a business run by all KKK members.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Yes, I tend not to tolerate people who want me to shut up and pretend to be heterosexual.

I tend not to tolerate people who want me to shut up and pretend that New Speak is reality. And that my rights should be superceded to make a minority of society feel good about themselves.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Well said, and worthy of a rep.
So many now days are conditioned to use PC as a means of shouting down opposing points of view, that they become self righteous and against free speech/thought, without even realizing it.

`
Were those in favor of slavery just stating an "opposing point of view"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or