Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2015, 08:57 AM

920 posts, read 633,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Everything but marriage is not equal to marriage. PERIOD.

It doesn't matter how many times something fails, it did in fact pass this time. So there was a law, that they voters voted to approve. No unilateral decision.

I'm sorry you have the sads because you have to have the same word on your legal document that I will have on mine, but it really isn't my problem that the fact I will have equal rights makes you sad.
Most of us learn to share in kindergarten.
Grow up, I don't "have the sads." Most of us learn a lot of things in kindergarten, then we grow up and learn how to be civil and discuss differing opinions without vitriol and condescension. Perhaps you missed that part of life lessons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 09:09 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
Grow up, I don't "have the sads." Most of us learn a lot of things in kindergarten, then we grow up and learn how to be civil and discuss differing opinions without vitriol and condescension. Perhaps you missed that part of life lessons?
Differing opinion is "I like this but you like that". Not "You shouldn't be allowed to have what I have and I will try to make sure you never get it".

I don't care what you like or don't like. But I would NEVER try to prohibit you from having something that I can have. I would NEVER try to use force of law to prohibit you from having all of the same legal protections I have. I would NEVER try to use force of law over something so silly as banning others the use of a legal term that I want for myself.

"Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right you claim for yourself"
Robert Green Ingersoll.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:22 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
I am not rabidly against it. I voted in support of the everything but marriage laws in WA State. I think that gay couples should be afforded every protection under the laws that are afforded to anyone else.

My issue is with forcing a redefinition of marriage and seeking special treatment based on personal behaviors/preferences. And those terms are not meant to indicate that homosexuality is a "lifestyle choice."
What's the special treatment again?

Old 02-13-2015, 09:35 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,546,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Men and women can have their genders legally changed. If a man legally becomes a woman after transitioning physically then how would her using the ladies' room impact anyone? Transgender people are less likely to commit sexual assault than straight people and transgender women(as in male-to-female) are almost all straight(as in attracted to men). If sexual encounters/assaults are what you're worried about then giving transgender women access to ladies' rooms is the best solution. If what you're worried about is people being uncomfortable over a transgender person using their bathroom, that's not a valid argument. For decades blacks weren't allowed to use whites' bathrooms and we put an end to that because equality takes precedent over your feeling icky.

When you say " transitioning physically" are you referring to a full sex change operation? Or just some temporary female hormone injections? The former I agree if they have had a full operation they are now women in my mind , but temporary injections not so much.

Yes I do feel worried about sexual assault. What is to stop a straight man who is a sexual predator from pretending to be transgender in order to have access to the ladies room ? There are creepy guys that use their cell phones to look up women's skirts imagine what they could do in a bathroom? And that is the tip of the iceberg of what they could do . Personally if I was in a public bathroom by myself and a man walked in I would be a little worried.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:35 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And the voters approved it, so the governor forced nothing. If the legislators that were voted in approved it, and the voters approved it, nothing was forced. Part of the job of legislators to to introduce new bills and pass laws. They were doing their job. And then the voters had the ability to vote on the law and approved of the law that the legislators passed. So the final decision was not "unilaterally" passed since it was voted on and passed with a 53.7% approval.

Now, even if it had not passed the voters, banning SSM would have to pass constitutional muster, which we have seen it does not according to over 25 individual judges rulings.

So yes, the voters DID approve SSM in Washington state.
Back to the EO.

Neither the Legislature nor the voters approved of extending anti-discrimination laws to sexual orientation in either private or state gov't. employment. By scrapping the EO, Brownback rejected some, not all of the executive's usurpation of legislative authority. imo, he should have scrapped the whole EO, not just the part about LGBT.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:42 AM

672 posts, read 788,968 times
The OP is an instigator and an agitator, and, I strongly suspect, someone's sock puppet. Has started 4 threads, one of which has already been deleted in its entirety, the other 3, S/He has failed to come back to participate in. 2 are anti-gay, the other two are anti-Obama administration.

Unfortunately, some of us are taking the click bait.

It is also unfortunate that there are still citizens, full citizens, of the US of A, who still are not afforded equal rights, or equal protections under the law, and this is the 21st Century. We like to think of ourselves as a first world country, yet we still treat segments of our population as less than full members of society, ostracize them, disallow them from enjoying benefits that others have without question.

I am thankful that no one dared to try to keep me from marrying the person that I fell in love with, that no one would think of firing me because of my partner, that in the event that either of us were to fall ill, that no one would bar the other from visiting in the hospital, or making medical choices, or any of an entire myriad of other rights that we were granted upon marriage to each other.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:43 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
When you say " transitioning physically" are you referring to a full sex change operation? Or just some temporary female hormone injections? The former I agree if they have had a full operation they are now women in my mind , but temporary injections not so much.

Yes I do feel worried about sexual assault. What is to stop a straight man who is a sexual predator from pretending to be transgender in order to have access to the ladies room ? There are creepy guys that use their cell phones to look up women's skirts imagine what they could do in a bathroom? And that is the tip of the iceberg of what they could do . Personally if I was in a public bathroom by myself and a man walked in I would be a little worried.
It is the y chromosome that makes a male a male.

I can have hair planted all over me, my arms and legs shortened and that still wouldn't make me a monkey. Neither does having one b***s cut off make a man a woman. Although it does make him a very confused man.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Back to the EO.

Neither the Legislature nor the voters approved of extending anti-discrimination laws to sexual orientation in either private or state gov't. employment. By scrapping the EO, Brownback rejected some, not all of the executive's usurpation of legislative authority. imo, he should have scrapped the whole EO, not just the part about LGBT.
Then he should scrap ALL EOs since they are not voted on by legislature or the voters.
Why pick and choose which ones should be scrapped and which one should be kept?

Why should his EO on employment of veterans and actually has a system for the preferential treatment for veterans be allowed?

Quote:
NOW, THEREFORE, pursuant to the authority vested in me as Governor of the State of
Kansas, I hereby declare that all state entities under my jurisdiction shall make certain that
each agency have employment management practices which include outreach recruitment
and hiring, support, mentoring, development, rewards, and recognition for achievement.
Recognizing the skills and perspective of veterans and individuals with physical, cognitive
and mental disabilities, the employment management practices should include a system
which incorporates and acknowledges a preference in hiring, retention and promotion for
veterans and individuals with physical, cognitive and mental disabilities in accordance with
any guidelines issued by the Secretary of Administration.
http://ks-kansaslibrary.civicplus.co...nter/View/4172

Or is it only ok to remove EO protections for gays?

Old 02-13-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
It is the y chromosome that makes a male a male.

I can have hair planted all over me, my arms and legs shortened and that still wouldn't make me a monkey. Neither does having one b***s cut off make a man a woman. Although it does make him a very confused man.
So we should institute chromosomal testing before anyone can go to the bathroom. Great idea.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:05 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I see, so you think our Framers/Founding Fathers would approve of how we are perverting not only the Constitution, but that we should "cut our own path" away from what they believed was best for the country?

Your half baked ideas about what our history means, and the goal of our nation needs more time in the oven.

`
The "founding fathers" lived in a different century. I couldn't care less what they might think about 21st century America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events