Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2015, 02:06 PM

920 posts, read 633,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
You want me to live by one verse in a book. It's kind of hypocritical if you don't live by the same books rules.

Dang, jjrose, you are the most narcissistic poster I have ever run across. Why is everything about forcing YOU to live by something or forcing YOU to think a certain way.

Everything in this life is NOT ABOUT YOU. I know you think you are special and entitled, but guess what? There are millions of people in this world that don't give a "rat's rectum" about what you think or how you think or what you do.

You are of no consequence to me...isn't that what you have been telling me all along, so why do you keep trying to insinuate yourself into my life by falsely claiming that my opinions and my values are in anyway directed towards you???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
And slavery is quite nicely backed by that very same Leviticus, so now we have a bit of a conundrum.

Perhaps Leviticus or Biblical tradition or "it's been done that way for centuries" is just not a very good guide in ethical manners?

At least the New Testament has no such nonsense in it...

Dammit, Paul!

I'm not going to get into a biblical debate with you. I do not have a working knowledge of the New Testament and so I will defer any response.

I have no problem with slavery as discussed in Leviticus, but it has nothing to do with this discussion.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:10 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,633,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
Yes.

The Torah states:

Leviticus 18:22

Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind; it is abomination.

That is a pretty straightforward statement. And those who believe that the Torah, or the Old Testament (for Christians) was divinely inspired and reflects the actual words of God, do not believe in current reinterpretations by individuals with personal reasons to find a different meaning within them.
Agreed. This is one of the verses that first caused me to question whether a Divine Being had really written "the book", or if a bunch of people had.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:11 PM

672 posts, read 789,154 times
Quote:
You are right, and I apologize for that. I did just cut and paste those statistics from that site. I actually do have researched information that substantiates the underlying argument, but I was lazy in my response and you are clearly right to disregard it.
I have come to the conclusion that loriinwa is probably a sock puppet for Felix C, or the other way around and that GreenGreen is yet another sock puppet created as a front to start these "controversial topics", really just anti-gay (or, more specifically, anti male gay, because male on male sodomy seems to be a repeated theme) and anti-Obama, and this allows other sock puppets to jump in and steer the thread dynamics. It's been an incredibly successful tactic, based on 3 of the 4 threads started by GreenGreen.

If you're not, as I suspect, a poser, you are at best an admitted plagarizer who lazily lifted verbiage verbatim from a poorly substantiated website, and I will bet that if I run some of your other posts through the google-fu, I will find more instances of this. Regurgitation is never good.

323 posts, read 376,728 times
loriinwa, consider it from their perspective though. If they don't believe what you believe, then the only reason they can see for being restricted from marrying is a law that is subject to change. If you then oppose that law on religious grounds, they see it as religion standing in the way of their happiness, and religion forming laws.

10,864 posts, read 16,988,924 times
Quote:
Dang, jjrose, you are the most narcissistic poster I have ever run across. Why is everything about forcing YOU to live by something or forcing YOU to think a certain way.
Because one person in this conversation is advocating abridging the rights of the others.

Find a mirror should you want to discuss being "self-centered and narcissistic."

4,439 posts, read 5,518,593 times
Quote:
Marriage is not about "love." The basis of marriage is creating a stable society in which a man and a woman enter into marriage with the expectation they will have children and raise them to be contributors to society. Rinse, repeat, rinse repeat...

Yes, many people marry for love. But the right to marry has NOTHING to do with love or sexual attraction. So your need to change the purpose of marriage so you can have societies "stamp of approval" is absolutely seeking special rights.

No one is dictating morality, except for those seeking special treatment.

Does SS marriage affect me? Why does it matter whether it affects me? I am not that selfish. I do see how it is affecting private business owners whose religious freedoms are being trampled. I see how it creates obligations on society based solely on the special rights of a select group of people who demand rights from others (free religious expression). So whether or not your SS marriage affects me personally is not the issue, it is whether your demands for special rights affects society as a whole.

I love "end of discussion!" LOL - it is right up their with "the science is settled." Since you proclaim "end of discussion!" doesn't mean anything more than you are frustrated because I am not bullied by your name calling and ridicule. I am strong in my personal value system and not ashamed of it. I know I am none of those names you have called me, because I disagree with you.

I have compassion for your desire to get governmental approval for your relationship, and I do not think you should be denied any protections under the law based on your sexual orientation, but that doesn't mean that I have to agree with your demand for special treatment under the law.
I gotta call you out on this one, since this is a bald-faced lie. It is NOT demanding special treatment under the law - it's demanding the same treatment under the law. If there's on thing I cannot tolerate, it's people spreading lies, and this is a clear example of such a lie. And in case you don't know this, we have the right to be free from religious influence in this country, not be subjected to it. You keep away from my right to be married to my partner, and I'll be more than happy to respect your right to worship as you like.

And I refuse to be bullied by your desire to impose your religious beliefs upon me and the Constitution of the United States. If you're saying this doesn't affect you personally, then why are you wasting time trying to stop the inevitable tide of progress? Face it, you're just not going to win this battle. It's over. Give it up already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Oh for gods sake. Seriously? Yes, slavery was legal & it was banned because it is harmful behavior towards others. Homosexuality is not a harmful behavior towards others so there is no need for laws to be based on it. How can you not even understand something so implicitly basic?
No one has argued that homosexuality is a harmful behavior towards others. Why are you jumping into the middle of a discussion, parsing words and trying to argue something unrelated?

Old 02-13-2015, 02:13 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,633,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bee View Post
I went to Red Lobster with my husband while I had my period and ordered a BLT with a side of shellfish, AND I wore clothes made of mixed fibers. Then my husband heard a voice commanding him to sacrifice our firstborn son, which we willfully declined to do.

Livin' on the edge!
You wore mixed fibers? You sinner! I don't care for your kind and will not sell you a wedding cake.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:14 PM

323 posts, read 376,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Agreed. This is one of the verses that first caused me to question whether a Divine Being had really written "the book", or if a bunch of people had.
I don't think there are many who believe that God literally wrote the Bible. It's divinely inspired, not directly divinely authored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events