U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 09:19 PM

7 posts, read 4,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I got hit by a thrown rock one time as a kid. Knocked me completely out. The kid thought he killed me. When I came to he was crying and saying I am sorry, over and over. LOL. If I had a gun I could of shot the rock out of his hand. Why didn't the cop shoot the rock out of his hand? I was waiting for a poster to ask that.
Because police officers are trained to shoot to kill. The old days of shooting to injure or disable are long gone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 09:47 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,692,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Rocks are weapons. We shoot illegals all the time for throwing rocks on the border. Moral of the story is don't throw rocks at LE and you live.
I agree with you. It just goes to show how restrained the NYPD was in December when all the rioters....I meant protesters were getting millimeters from their faces shouting obesity's and throwing rocks, bottles and trash at them.

I'm sure the excuse police will come to the defense of the dead perp and condemn the cops for their actions.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:52 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,692,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
We used to "take care of our mentally ill" before misguided people thought it was unfair to commit them against their will. Hence, you end up with this sad case and more than a few instances of released mental patients pushing people to their deaths on the NYC subway.

Those cases, and that of the rock-thrower, prove that the rest of us need to be protected, too.
Those misguided people decided they did not want to spend the money on the mentally ill, but decided it was ok to give illegal aliens the money for services that we as tax payers will never see because these misguided POLITICIANS believe they will get more votes to stay in office.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:49 PM

7,022 posts, read 5,771,723 times
Okay, first of all we don't have a national mental healthcare system anymore so crazies acting crazy and then getting killed for it will be a likely end result.

Two, cops are too trigger-happy nowadays, they are paranoid and act like everybody is a potential dangerous criminal. The Opie days are over. But instead of aiming to kill why don't they aim for the leg or something? The goal is to stop a suspect, not kill them, or at least that used to be the rule.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:05 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 2,945,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
I wish our society would take care of our mentally ill.
The cops took care of him.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:27 AM

22,219 posts, read 5,499,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

The United Kingdom is a country with more than 64 million people. To put it another way, the United Kingdom has over 1000x as many people as Pasco.

In the last six months, the Pasco Police Department has shot and killed four people - more than the collective police departments of the entire United Kingdom has in the last three years.
This is exactly what I was thinking as I have read through this thread, and other similar ones. I have seen videos filmed by bystanders of people shot dead by American police without good reason. Sometimes, it appears the police just want to bring the situation to an end quickly.

The police in my country have a difficult job, like police everywhere. I have no doubt they come across rock throwers, big guys resisting arrest, unstable folks raving, and all the rest. The difference is, they don't shoot these people. They find a way to disable, and arrest them. Most police here don't have guns. Some have tasers, others disabling sprays.

I do accept American police come across armed criminals, and are edgy, and no doubt frightened they may be shot. But, some situations I have seen on you-tube, seem to show some folks killed without good reason. They aren't difficult to find, and some are very disturbing. I have no doubt if British police were all armed with guns, we would see many people die at the hands of the police. It is a very good way of ending a situation quickly.

What I have seen on visits to America, to places like NYC, is the police seem much more intimidating figures of authority. They seem ready to take on all comers. Anyone who has visited Britain, and some comment on this, is how approachable, and friendly our police are. I have seen British police dealing with awkward situations, and people. They remain calm, and do their job efficiently.

Many Americans seem disturbed by the attitude, and quick to use deadly force of your police. Some on threads like this seem to blame folks for getting shot. In some cases, no doubt, this is correct. But many situations where people end up shot dead, seem unnecessary, and could have been brought to an end without deadly force.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:19 AM

726 posts, read 487,971 times
I just have some questions.

1. What kind of a fool throws rocks at anyone, especially law enforcement?

2. Couldn't the cops have used TASERS or something less fatal instead of bullets?

3. Since he had an aunt & she mentioned "all of us" implicating the rock thrower had some amount of family & since apparently he was well enough to hold a job, why didn't his aunt or other family members offer him a place to live & help him out?

It does seem to me there are numerous incidents where people are shot & killed who don't seem to pose the threat the cops say are there. Some cops take it a step further & start shouting out things like, "Stop resisting" when no resisting is taking place. Having said that, someone who repeatedly throws rocks at a bunch of cops, gets warned, gets shot at but keeps running & throwing rocks, then stops & turns to hurl more rocks at the officers, IS a threat to those officers. We can't make excuses for bad behavior like this to be tolerated. If he was on drugs, that's his fault for taking those drugs. If he couldn't understand English, that's his fault for not following our immigration laws. If he is mentally impaired, which does not seem to be the case here, his family should have been taking care of his needs. I don't know what his problem was, but we cannot allow mayhem on our streets. I do not want to live as some third world countries do!!

Old 02-15-2015, 10:57 AM

440 posts, read 328,814 times
The initial link given does NOT work for me,
but here is a list of links that DO bring up articles on the situation, and some have the video:

http://www.dogpile.com/dogpl.bko.n/search/web?fcoid=417&fcop=topnav&fpid=27&q=Homeless+man+t hrowing+rocks+-+shot+and+killed+by+police+&ql=

Old 02-15-2015, 12:09 PM

4,859 posts, read 3,711,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Okay, first of all we don't have a national mental healthcare system anymore so crazies acting crazy and then getting killed for it will be a likely end result.

Two, cops are too trigger-happy nowadays, they are paranoid and act like everybody is a potential dangerous criminal. The Opie days are over. But instead of aiming to kill why don't they aim for the leg or something? The goal is to stop a suspect, not kill them, or at least that used to be the rule.
People throwing rocks ARE potential dangerous criminals.

I take it you have never fired a gun.

The goal of police is to stop a suspect, yes. When they shoot, it is to stop. Sometimes lethally.

Go fire a gun. Tell me how easy it is to hit a specific arm or leg on a moving paper target.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:39 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 2,945,131 times
The causes of the "IBC cop" problem (IBC = idiot, bully, coward) aren't necessarily what they seem. A cop doesn't become IBC by being a cop. He was always IBC. Being IBC motivated him to apply for a cop job. The real problem is that he should have been screened out in the hiring process. That problem is caused by incompetent hiring managers. Those managers are hired by incompetent higher level managers. The incompetence goes all the way to the top. The highest level bosses who hire bureaucrats are politicians. And their bosses are the voters. So the real cause of the IBC cop problem is stupid voters. And stupid voters are the real reason why democracy doesn't work very well in a country that has so many millions of stupid people. For that reason I think we would be better off amending the constitution to require voters to prove they aren't stupid before being allowed to vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or