U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 02:11 PM

51,887 posts, read 41,774,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
And if he was handled by the proper authorities, I'm fine with that. I'm not talking about the police officers, I'm talking about the arm-chair, wannabe cops with seemingly itchy trigger fingers.
I'm talking about all of the people saying it's only a rock and that goes directly to the appropriateness of using deadly force.

There is certainly some hyperbole on both sides of the discussion.

What can we expect when (like the St. Louis case) after a guy shoots 3 times at a cop and is then gunned down we still get protests and threads about cops "murdering" people. Then they claimed the gun was planted. Oh wait, he was on an ankle bracelet for gun possession, was in a gang....and had social media pics of him holding the gun that "was planted" along with other guns while flashing gang signs.

People are getting fed up with others trying to embellish legitimate police shootings in order to fluff up how often the bad shootings happen. Comments like the other posters are a backlash to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 02:17 PM

172 posts, read 179,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm talking about all of the people saying it's only a rock and that goes directly to the appropriateness of using deadly force.

There is certainly some hyperbole on both sides of the discussion.

What can we expect when (like the St. Louis case) after a guy shoots 3 times at a cop and is then gunned down we still get protests and threads about cops "murdering" people. Then they claimed the gun was planted. Oh wait, he was on an ankle bracelet for gun possession, was in a gang....and had social media pics of him holding the gun that "was planted" along with other guns while flashing gang signs.

People are getting fed up with others trying to embellish legitimate police shootings in order to fluff up how often the bad shootings happen. Comments like the other posters are a backlash to this.
We agree that there is hyperbole and mindlessness on both sides.

"YEAH WELL HE SHOULDA THOUGHT ABOUT THAT BEFORE HE DISRESPECTED AND DISOBEYED THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!" make some of the most pathetic rationales in the face of undeniably unjustified police shootings.

The flip side of that coin is that yes, when cops do engage in a legitimate use of deadly force, a few people try to characterize it as something else.

What we have here, in this case, is a mentally ill man throwing a rock.
Does it come as any surprise that the THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!! mouth-breathers are quick to justify a rock as a deadly weapon "...AND IF YOU DONT BELIEVE ME JUST ASK GOLIATH THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!!" No. It comes as no surprise to hear it coming from them. Its not credible, they are dumb, but its no surprise to hear them say that.

Conversely, is it any surprise that people who tend to hate all cops, always, are against this? Again, no. No surprise there.

So based on what we know, does this incline towards a good shoot or a bad shoot, mustering up as much objectivity as we can?

I don't want to live in a society where cops are empowered to shoot mentally ill people throwing rocks. Authoritarians and law-and-order fetishists are cool living in a society where cops shoot anyone for any reason, but nobody else is.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:37 PM

2,004 posts, read 1,204,174 times
Lest anyone really believe that a rock isn't a weapon that can easily cause death, go volunteer to be on the receiving end. After the rock hits you in the head, do come back and relate the experience. No, wait, after getting hit once, perhaps wait around for the second one so you can compare.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:41 PM

2,004 posts, read 1,204,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAugustine View Post
SNIP

If you are in Law Enforcement and cannot deal with a mentally ill individual throwing rocks WITHOUT shooting them, you have no business being in law enforcement.
If you are going to throw rocks at people then you have no business being a human being. There was a way to deal with the rock thrower, he was shot. BTW, just how do you determine which person you encounter is mentally ill, by the rocks they throw at you? Think

Old 02-13-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Lest anyone really believe that a rock isn't a weapon that can easily cause death, go volunteer to be on the receiving end. After the rock hits you in the head, do come back and relate the experience. No, wait, after getting hit once, perhaps wait around for the second one so you can compare.
I think a more interesting test would be to round up all the people who insist that throwing a rock warrants a deadly force response ... CUZ A ROCK GUNNA KILL YE! ... and give them a basic physical fitness test.

Half are either going to be morbidly obese, comically uncoordinated or a paraplegic.
The other half are just hysterical self-defense fetishists who believe that all circumstances, always, everywhere, for every reason, warrant a deadly response because (insert perversion of reason here)

Old 02-13-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
If you are going to throw rocks at people then you have no business being a human being.
AND I BET YOU, MILITARY AND LAW ENFORCEMENT COULD SORT OUT WHO DESERVES TO BE A HUMAN BEING IN SHORT ORDER WITH A FEW ROUNDS FROM YOUR TRUSTY (insert gun model here) CHAMBERED IN (insert caliber here) WITH (insert gun accessories here) AND (insert even more gun accessories here)!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!

Imbeciles.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:00 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,794,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAugustine View Post
I think a more interesting test would be to round up all the people who insist that throwing a rock warrants a deadly force response ... CUZ A ROCK GUNNA KILL YE! ... and give them a basic physical fitness test.

Half are either going to be morbidly obese, comically uncoordinated or a paraplegic.
The other half are just hysterical self-defense fetishists who believe that all circumstances, always, everywhere, for every reason, warrant a deadly response because (insert perversion of reason here)
Being in shape has no bearing on being hit in the head with a rock. You could be an MMA fighter and get knocked out or worse with a rock to the head. Your post makes no sense.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:00 PM

106 posts, read 134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
I just want people to see this post and (especially given recent events) let it soak in a bit.
Well, it's true. If you are stupid enough to throw rocks at a cop, then u deserve to be shot.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
If you are going to throw rocks at people then you have no business being a human being. There was a way to deal with the rock thrower, he was shot. BTW, just how do you determine which person you encounter is mentally ill, by the rocks they throw at you? Think
Thank you. If i were a cop, and someone threw rocks at me, I'm unloading several clips in his head. And I'd be PERFECTLY justified in doing so, legally.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Being in shape has no bearing on being hit in the head with a rock. You could be an MMA fighter and get knocked out or worse with a rock to the head. Your post makes no sense.
This. You are absolutely 100% correct!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or