U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 09:46 AM

172 posts, read 168,209 times

Advertisements

"... tried to grab an officers gun" is quite literally a running joke in defense attorney circles.

Its become the "obstruction of justice" of altercation related charges- that is to say, it almost never has any credibility.

In related THANK U 4 YER SERVICE!! news...

Cops Have 'Wish Lists' For When They Seize Your Fancy Car
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 10:04 AM

23,952 posts, read 31,164,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAugustine View Post
"... tried to grab an officers gun" is quite literally a running joke in defense attorney circles.

Its become the "obstruction of justice" of altercation related charges- that is to say, it almost never has any credibility.
Um....no.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:12 AM

172 posts, read 168,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Um....no.
I'm sure you have a deep reservoir of practical, real world experience with the daily goings-on in real world court rooms to so confidently assert that!

"Tried to grab my gun" is their fallback whenever they want to juice a charge against someone who resists, or whenever they take an up-close use of force incident too far. Part of the reason it raised such hackles in the Michael Brown case is because its such a well known bull**** accusation used by cops who take force too far. Its just shy of putting a knife in the corpses hand...

Old 02-14-2015, 10:19 AM

23,952 posts, read 31,164,080 times
Quote:
I'm sure you have a deep reservoir of practical, real world experience with the daily goings-on in real world court rooms to so confidently assert that!

"Tried to grab my gun" is their fallback whenever they want to juice a charge against someone who resists, or whenever they take an up-close use of force incident too far. Part of the reason it raised such hackles in the Michael Brown case is because its such a well known bull**** accusation used by cops who take force too far. Its just shy of putting a knife in the corpses hand...
I have read enough of your posts to know where your perspective is skewed. That's all I need here.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:29 AM

5,664 posts, read 2,512,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Once again...stop breaking the law. Put your hands up when you are asked...and none of this happens. Simple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM2500YO View Post
Thank you. Enough Said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlcockatoo View Post
"don't put your hands up= deserve to die."

WOW

No one here has a remote clue about this man. If he was mentally ill, or under any sort of duress, or wigging out on drugs.

But the hatred here portrayed by you guys is very disturbing.

I hope you are never on any jury of any kind!

Old 02-14-2015, 10:33 AM

5,664 posts, read 2,512,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Delahanty supposes:
"We used to "take care of our mentally ill" before misguided people thought it was unfair to commit them against their will."

I disagree. I think the primary motive of dumping these unfortunate people on the street was to save money.
I think it is both.
You are both right, Delahanty and Nothern Maine Land Man

Old 02-14-2015, 10:42 AM

4,903 posts, read 2,773,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Moral of the story:

Don't bring rocks to a gunfight.
How about don't throw rocks?

Old 02-14-2015, 11:05 AM

103 posts, read 73,122 times
Quote:
Any bootlicker who keeps on with this 'hero' narrative is naive. You may 'work with cops wives' but you've never seen behind the curtain.
Well first let me say I like you. I get a sense of the mind behind the words and I have a level of respect for it. So take whatever else I might say at a "higher level" as I'm holding you to a higher standard.

I don't think it's fully correct to denigrate the "boot lickers" one because they ARE naive, but two in our newly-formed Statist society anything with a uniform and a badge is a "hero". My strongest parallel and metaphor is North Korea. Of, for and by the State, and the people that exist within the State only due so by the sufferance of the State, and their purpose is only to serve the State, and not the other way around.

Americans exist only to serve the needs of the people in government. That's what I call "Statism", and that's what all this wide-spread "bootlicking" is all about.

It didn't used to be like this. We used to have an American where the government served the people, but the larger the parasitic and depending (upon government) class became, the more power the people that work for government acquired, and now the roles have been reversed. We believe that we need them. And, to a great extent, the parasites DO need government. Otherwise where would they be if the checks didn't come on the 1st and the 15th? My point is that the problem is more global than an interpersonal online flare-up, and the solution will not involve setting any one single person straight. As long as Americans truly believe that some itinerant Muslim nut-job on the other side of the planet is a direct threat to American Freedom, the bootlickers will always have a legitimate place in American discourse as their existence serves to support and reinforce the idea that we cannot survive without our class of uniformed protectors.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:27 PM

16 posts, read 24,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Ha - you sound like somebody's mama - what's the next thing - someone wielding a stick...oh my! Poor police officer has a 0.1% chance of having an eye put out...versus let's estimate a 75% chance of killing or critically injuring someone. That's right, it's a homeless guy, a crazy freak, a person of color, a likely felon or a felon-in-the-making.

Oh - here's a better one - someone with a straw in their mouth pointing it at a cop. Might be a poison dart! Even if the cop is 75 yards away, there's still a miniscule chance of the guy being able to blow hard enough and aim well enough...well, if he actually HAS a poison dart. Best not take a chance, kill 'em and let G0d sort it out later...cuz we know the cop won't get even a slap on the wrist.

I guess my problem with your snap judgment is that you have virtually no knowledge of what type of person the officer is, and absolutely zero knowledge of being in that situation.

Many people have been killed with sticks. I'd hazard 1000s more than have been killed with guns by the police.

That 0.1% chance? Do I have to let the odds play out before I am allowed to defend myself? I know someone that got hit in the eye with an EMPTY beer can and lost an eye.

I had someone hit me in the knee with an iPhone from over 50 feet away. I arrested him for aggravated assault, and when the DA laughed at me and said I was just mad that I got hit, I showed him a mathematical calculation that showed at the distance thrown, the phone dropping in height from where it was thrown to the height of my knee proved it was traveling at approx. 50mph. So yes, aggravated assault is the correct charge, cause had it hit me in the face, or eye, it could have caused serious bodily injury.

Not all cops are dumb, and not all of us want to hurt people. But if you rear your arm back with anything in it that could keep me from going home, or punch me while I'm sitting in my car (and you're 200 lbs bigger than me), or reach for you waistband even with your back turned, I might shoot you. Not to kill you, not because I am mad or scared or racist, but to disable the threat of violence you pose to me and the innocent public.

P.S. - Because it would probably matter to you, I am black. And I have a psychology degree. And I think that deinstitutionalization is one of the biggest mistakes our government has ever made.

Last edited by HurricaneJ213; 02-14-2015 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: changed "will" to "might"

Old 02-14-2015, 12:32 PM

981 posts, read 1,848,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
http://http://my.chicagotribune.com/.../p2p-82792503/

Just how much force is needed before police can shoot to kill? Apparently very little. I guess tasers "didn't work" - the guy turned and ran instead of submitting so they shot and killed him. I'm sure we'll learn that he wasn't actually running or shot in the back...
Your link was broken. Below is the video (taker didn't have presence of mind to turn down their stereo). He wasn't shot while still running, he turned and did something that from a distance didn't look overly threatening but was hard to see. Then he was shot.

Protesters plan more rallies over fatal Pasco police shooting

Rocks can be deadly, you know. These people who get shot aren't just minding their own business, sitting on park benches. If you were a cop for a day you might get a feel for what it's like to go to work knowing you could die at any moment. Until we get robot policemen, normal human reactions to threats will keep happening. Most civilians in those situations might shoot far sooner out of panic. I think most (NOT all) police show remarkable restraint when facing criminals and wild men. I am tired of the tattooed pit-bull crowd whining about "police brutality" every time a fellow thug faces the music.

Last edited by ca_north; 02-14-2015 at 12:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or