U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 12:41 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,249,741 times

Advertisements

Pasco, in southeastern Washington, is a city of fewer than 60,000 people.

The United Kingdom is a country with more than 64 million people. To put it another way, the United Kingdom has over 1000x as many people as Pasco.

In the last six months, the Pasco Police Department has shot and killed four people - more than the collective police departments of the entire United Kingdom has in the last three years.

Germany? They have over 80 million people - over 1300x as many people as Pasco. And yet the collective law enforcement personnel of that entire country have killed fewer people in the last year than has Pasco PD.

And now, back to the usual suspects making excuses, dissembling, and/or claiming this represents wise and effective police procedure...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 12:46 PM

981 posts, read 1,972,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAugustine View Post
Because THAT = deserves to die?

To some people, yes. Society is coming around to the point where its ready to tell you people to sit down and shut the **** up in this conversation, since your sense of morality is disgusting.
Stick and stones CAN break bones. Fists can kill, also. There's a very narrow definition of "unarmed" going around these days. People seem to think only guns, knives, swords, bows, bombs and cars are weapons the police should fear. That huge black martyr in Ferguson was a walking weapon in his own right, but the word "unarmed" was used over and over.

I find that most people who disparage the police are criminals or trashy types whom I wouldn't want as neighbors. They act like the police should be equally kind to everyone, no matter how they behave. Pure tunnelvision without context.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:49 PM

9,668 posts, read 15,811,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Most or many homeless people have a mental illness.

Could be the case here, this person did.

I wish our society would take care of our mentally ill.
It is still a hidden secret society and legislaters do not want to face

Our self absorbed society is more concerned with gays being able to marry and people can light up their joint where ever they want. And illegal immigration rights.

Many homeless are, indeed, mentally ill. I wonder, did they become MI before or after becoming homeless? Just my opinion, but I do believe being homeless can create mental illness, due to the constant stress of daily survival. Also, sleep deprivation can be a contributing factor. Just think about it---in shelters they must be up and out by 6am, and can't get in until fairly late at night, like, 10pm. then, there's no real privacy or quiet, you hear others all night and probably can't drift off into a deep, restorative sleep. what about those with children? I couldn't sleep at all if I had small children with me in such a situation, I would be so afraid they would wander off.

Next time you take a long, restorative sleep think what a true luxury it really is!

Old 02-14-2015, 01:22 PM

2,004 posts, read 1,201,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Pasco, in southeastern Washington, is a city of fewer than 60,000 people.

The United Kingdom is a country with more than 64 million people. To put it another way, the United Kingdom has over 1000x as many people as Pasco.

In the last six months, the Pasco Police Department has shot and killed four people - more than the collective police departments of the entire United Kingdom has in the last three years.

Germany? They have over 80 million people - over 1300x as many people as Pasco. And yet the collective law enforcement personnel of that entire country have killed fewer people in the last year than has Pasco PD.

And now, back to the usual suspects making excuses, dissembling, and/or claiming this represents wise and effective police procedure...
While you were compiling statistics, did you happen to notice the number of times the people in those countries presented their police with the same types of crimes as in the USA is is this more apples and oranges mixing time?

Old 02-14-2015, 01:44 PM

2,004 posts, read 1,201,551 times
Since we're now using Great Britain and Germany as comparisons, why not include Somalia in the mix too? Since Germany came up, 80% of German citizens have no immigrant background. Maybe we should look at how many blacks and mexicans live there? Surely that is as relevant since that country is now being used as an example.

Last edited by Year2525; 02-14-2015 at 02:21 PM..

Old 02-14-2015, 02:47 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,968,557 times
The police chief said he was "threatening" so they were justified in shooting him. You've got like 7 officers and you meant to tell me you can't find a way to subdue a single man holding a couple of small rocks that doesn't include taking his life?

Old 02-14-2015, 03:25 PM

16 posts, read 25,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
The police chief said he was "threatening" so they were justified in shooting him. You've got like 7 officers and you meant to tell me you can't find a way to subdue a single man holding a couple of small rocks that doesn't include taking his life?
I think mrmondaymorning would've been an appropriate handle

Old 02-14-2015, 03:56 PM

107 posts, read 101,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
This.

Someone earlier defended the police saying 'stoning kills people in the Middle East!!!'. Yeah, with big ass stones in a formal execution in which the victim is tied down, thrown in a hole, and pelted repeatedly by multiple people. Not even remotely comparable.

Multiple officers with firearms are going to be far more lethal than a person throwing rocks and doing a bad job of it, and therefore it is (or should be) the police's responsibility to not be reckless.

People keep saying 'the police need to protect themselves!!!' but here's the thing. There are good cops who have shown that you don't need to be a gun trigger prick with no regard for human life to do your job. There are cops who have proven this even when faced by legitimate danger (such as someone with another gun). It's not even about being anti-cop or whatever, it's just that there is a culture in America that allows for police misconduct, and people are ****ing dying because of it. And all you entitled people who have never been in this position are saying 'who gives a **** it's their fault for breaking the law', backed by their ignorant 'Riff raff!! thugs!! get them away' attitude. Straight up babylon. You're okay with people being murdered because of your own entitlement to 'safety' (which is often just code name for a lot of awful discriminatory practices).

We know in some states that is not legal for police to shoot people for fleeing, since in the Michael Brown (RIP) case it was proven that the law to let the officer off was archaic and not even an active law. I don't know what the law is in Washington but that should not be legal. The punishment for failing to cooperate with a police officer should not be extrajudicial capital punishment, especially in this instance when it's obvious that there were several alternatives to 'shoot shoot SHOOT!!!'. The fact that some of you support that for the 'principle of it' (and because you feel comfortable that you won't be in that position via privilege) is sickening.

Cases like this are appearing almost daily. Just look at another thread in this forum about a man (who was very obviously being racially profiled by paranoid racists) was paralysed due to police misconduct. People are getting shot by the police in frightening numbers. Instead of saying '**** it they're just criminals' (even though they're often not), maybe acknowledge that there is an issue. If we can get all police officers (not just those who are already 'good') to be accountable and to do their jobs in a responsible manner, this can hopefully become a thing of the past. But if you're going to have fragile egos and not even acknowledge the problem is there, nothing will ever change. It's this 'shoot now, let the lawyers deal with it later' attitude that is responsible for it.

And to the person saying that crime in a country is proportional to the number of black people and Mexican immigrants, GTFO.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:13 PM

7,281 posts, read 8,845,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Ha - you sound like somebody's mama - what's the next thing - someone wielding a stick...oh my! Poor police officer has a 0.1% chance of having an eye put out...versus let's estimate a 75% chance of killing or critically injuring someone. That's right, it's a homeless guy, a crazy freak, a person of color, a likely felon or a felon-in-the-making.

Oh - here's a better one - someone with a straw in their mouth pointing it at a cop. Might be a poison dart! Even if the cop is 75 yards away, there's still a miniscule chance of the guy being able to blow hard enough and aim well enough...well, if he actually HAS a poison dart. Best not take a chance, kill 'em and let G0d sort it out later...cuz we know the cop won't get even a slap on the wrist.
Gee, I only asked you if you had ever been hit in the head with a rock.

Considering your answer, I take it you have.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:58 PM

1,431 posts, read 708,212 times
So all the people defending the homeless man, would you throw rocks at police? Where do we draw the line on what is ok to do to cops before they shoot you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or