U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 06:18 AM

15,037 posts, read 8,390,770 times

Advertisements

http://http://my.chicagotribune.com/.../p2p-82792503/

Just how much force is needed before police can shoot to kill? Apparently very little. I guess tasers "didn't work" - the guy turned and ran instead of submitting so they shot and killed him. I'm sure we'll learn that he wasn't actually running or shot in the back...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 07:50 AM

34,915 posts, read 31,952,177 times
Rocks are weapons. We shoot illegals all the time for throwing rocks on the border. Moral of the story is don't throw rocks at LE and you live.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:54 AM

12,114 posts, read 10,240,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Rocks are weapons. We shoot illegals all the time for throwing rocks on the border. Moral of the story is don't throw rocks at LE and you live.
Have to agree with this.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:34 AM

5,659 posts, read 2,698,715 times
Most or many homeless people have a mental illness.

Could be the case here, this person did.

I wish our society would take care of our mentally ill.
It is still a hidden secret society and legislaters do not want to face

Our self absorbed society is more concerned with gays being able to marry and people can light up their joint where ever they want. And illegal immigration rights.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:34 AM

35,096 posts, read 10,364,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Most or many homeless people have a mental illness.

Could be the case here, this person did.

I wish our society would take care of our mentally ill.
It is still a hidden secret society and legislaters do not want to face

Our self absorbed society is more concerned with gays being able to marry and people can light up their joint where ever they want. And illegal immigration rights.

We used to "take care of our mentally ill" before misguided people thought it was unfair to commit them against their will. Hence, you end up with this sad case and more than a few instances of released mental patients pushing people to their deaths on the NYC subway.

Those cases, and that of the rock-thrower, prove that the rest of us need to be protected, too.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:51 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,007,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
http://http://my.chicagotribune.com/.../p2p-82792503/

Just how much force is needed before police can shoot to kill? Apparently very little. I guess tasers "didn't work" - the guy turned and ran instead of submitting so they shot and killed him. I'm sure we'll learn that he wasn't actually running or shot in the back...
He was actually turned around, I guess to hurl another deadly rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-0uqFTBclo

Old 02-12-2015, 03:47 PM

29,035 posts, read 15,300,370 times
The video clearly shows him drop his hands and quickly turn at the police. It's immediately after he makes this move that the police shoot him.

If he had a gun on him in his waste ban and grabbed it to turn and shoot the police, the move he made would have looked practically the same.

At any time he, could have dropped to his knees with his hands up.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:49 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,007,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The video clearly shows him drop his hands and quickly turn at the police. It's immediately after he makes this move that the police shoot him.

If he had a gun on him in his waste ban and grabbed it to turn and shoot the police, the move he made would have looked practically the same.

At any time he, could have dropped to his knees with his hands up.
Actually, the police started shooting at him earlier in the video as the guy is throwing rocks at them. At that point he runs across the intersection and the police give chase. It seems like the police had already made up their mind that they were going to shoot him and it made no difference what gesture he would have made. So I'm not sure him dropping to his knees would have made a difference. What is there to stop the police officers from continuing to shoot him even if he says he gives up?

Old 02-12-2015, 04:53 PM

7,281 posts, read 8,832,318 times
OP, ever been hit in the head by a rock? Would it make any difference if someone lost an eye or been killed by a rock thrown by a homeless person vs someone with a lot of wealth?

It sure seems like very few lives matter except the lives of those who do something wrong.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:58 PM

15,037 posts, read 8,390,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
OP, ever been hit in the head by a rock? Would it make any difference if someone lost an eye or been killed by a rock thrown by a homeless person vs someone with a lot of wealth?

It sure seems like very few lives matter except the lives of those who do something wrong.
Ha - you sound like somebody's mama - what's the next thing - someone wielding a stick...oh my! Poor police officer has a 0.1% chance of having an eye put out...versus let's estimate a 75% chance of killing or critically injuring someone. That's right, it's a homeless guy, a crazy freak, a person of color, a likely felon or a felon-in-the-making.

Oh - here's a better one - someone with a straw in their mouth pointing it at a cop. Might be a poison dart! Even if the cop is 75 yards away, there's still a miniscule chance of the guy being able to blow hard enough and aim well enough...well, if he actually HAS a poison dart. Best not take a chance, kill 'em and let G0d sort it out later...cuz we know the cop won't get even a slap on the wrist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or