Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 08:44 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,962,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Sadly, some actually do. I recently saw videos of a case of neighbor bullying and harassing a neighbors child who eventually dies of the incurable disease she had been born with. The neighbor used the disease and her impending death as part of her public taunts of the child which even included some sick artwork in FB posts.

There are a lot of 'sick puppies' out there.

I agree with the closeness being an issue. I adopted a hound from a local Rescue operation. Sometimes she barks for no reason at all. Like out of sheer unadulterated happiness alone, she will randomly hop around and bark for a bit. She will also growl rather loudly while playing with something. There are at least 9 families wall-to-wall around us and none have complained. I still worry about it though, and try to calm her down when she gets going too long.

We dont complain about them either. We dont complain about their kids being noisy, how loud their music is, or the loudness of any family arguements or parties. We accept these things as a part of life.

Dogs are allowed to bark during normal waking hours - even if it seems non-stop. Just like loud traffic and construction noise is allowed during normal waking hours, which too can seem non-stop for many hours. If someone works nights and sleeps during the day, protecting their own sleep is for them to work out. You have to adjust your entire life to the inconvenience of working nights, and protecting the hours you need to sleep is just one more adjustment.

Unless she was never really served a summons (or possibly was worried about any existing warrants for herself, or maybe was admitted to a hospital, or a close relative suddenly died), I have no idea why she would skip court - for any reason.
Sorry, but no. If your dog is barking non stop you need to stop it. Most places have dog noise ordinances that state that 15 minutes is your max before it becomes a fine. I lived on a corner and was surrounded by people with dogs. The only dogs that bothered me were the nonstop barking dogs. The golden lab across one street? No problem, friendly, quiet, and an all around big baby when it came to getting attention. The pitbull breed across the other street? Still no problem, heck if you didn't see it, you wouldn't know they had it because it never barked. Couple houses up had 4 dogs, still no issue. But the incessant bark bark bark bark bark for hours on end coming from one person had me ready to either spray mace out the window or go get one of those devices that constantly make that high pitched noise that only dogs can hear and just shove that out my window into his yard. There is a line where it's no longer "part of life" but a big problem that needs to be dealt with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 09:46 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,508,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
The questions is, why is someone speaking of doing that to your dog? If they're speaking of that out of pure sadistic evil in their heart, then your outrage is merited. HOWEVER, if it's a case of that your dog barks and barks and barks and you do nothing about it even after being informed that it's irritating, then your responsibility is to stop the barking--and yes, it can be stopped--and not expect this person to tolerate a lot of yapping.

The difference is that children are more important than dogs, and it's a different matter to tell a child they have to be quiet all the time and never be able to play and "be kids" vs expecting a dog to be calm. A key problem, to me, is this humanization and attaching of human being level importance to dogs which they don't deserve. I would have no problem, if I were a landlord or such, telling someone that if their dog is noisy and they seriously can't control it, then they can just get another dog altogether. When people throw a fit and act as if that's an awful thing to suggest no different than if you were to tell a parent to just get another child, that's silly. You don't DARE put a dog on the same level as a human being in importance.

Now, in extreme cases, I think some parents may need to be told that their child is too noisy--and no, being "autistic" and "special needs" isn't going to change my mind on that. I was once at a support group of people with autistic children and they would speak of how, when someone told them their child needed to calm down somewhere like a store, which is a totally reasonable expectation, that people would suddenly change their tone of voice when the parent told them their child was autistic. I wouldn't have, I'd been like "yeah, so what?" In a public place, a disruption is a disruption, and "special needs" does not mean "special treatment." Moreover, I have heard other parents with autistic children speak of how they won't tolerate their autistic child making a scene in a store and how they are in factg able to suppress it, and to me they are right. I was ashamed of these parents in that, in telling these stories, they seemed happy to the point of arrogance and of getting special treatment etc in these situations, and I think that's disgusting.

The thing is, though, unless it's EXTREME, a child shouldn't have to be "shushed" or whatever AT HOME when they're, say, playing outside or the like. To me that's "ambient" or "incidental" noise, as long as it isn't really extreme. On the other hand, a dog is, well, just a dog. Its needs matter almost nothing compared to the needs of a child. The owners can take them to a dog park or the like, but I have no interest in hearing a lot of constant yapping and having someone dare to think it's the same thing as a child playing. No, no, no.
I can't stand loud kids either & yes, they should be shut up.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:53 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,323,190 times
As an animal lover (cats specifically)... I really don't see the problem with loving your animals as much as you would a kid. I want your dog to shutup just as much as I want your screaming, trampling brat to shutup as well.

I'm an equal opportunity hater :-)

Old 02-16-2015, 11:01 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,258,649 times
I don't know about suing over a barking dog, but this owner apparently doesn't give a rip about being a good neighbor, and her no-show to court proved that. If the neighbors tried repeatedly to get her attention about the problem, making the lawsuit the last straw, then I have no sympathy for her.

I would not want to deal with listening to barking dogs all day, either. And if the barking is during the night, it's even worse. One of my friends ended up feuding with their neighbors behind them over her dog, which she admitted barked a lot.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:21 PM

50,129 posts, read 46,744,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1022 View Post
Our town has NOISE ordinance and they kept giving the guy tickets. If a dog constantly barks that means that the owner is NOT taking care of the dog, properly. Dogs are social animals and always need to be interacting either with humans or other dogs. THEY HATE TO BE ALONE. I own dogs and none of them are nuisance barkers because their needs are met, physically and mentally so they are not "nuisance."
The person who is losing her home she kept ignoring court summonses. Just like she was ignoring the dog. Dogs bark to GET attention, so if you take care of what ever they are barking for, they stop.
Taking her house is over the top but, she was over the top with her arrogance and disrespect towards the community. She deserve the screws I hope the dog finds a better owner.
Here in SD you get a warning, next trip out a ticket, next trip out they remove the animal.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:32 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,298,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
As an animal lover (cats specifically)... I really don't see the problem with loving your animals as much as you would a kid. I want your dog to shutup just as much as I want your screaming, trampling brat to shutup as well.

I'm an equal opportunity hater :-)
If you don't see a problem loving an animal the same as a child, then you may very well not even get this thread at all, because that to me is a major part of why we have this--because of people standing up for their pets the same as they would their children, and enabling or even encouraging their bratty and unacceptable behavior. They can't see that their dog is, frankly, JUST A DUMB DOG, and the same goes for ANY animal which imposes distressing behavior on the human beings of the planet, the ones who actually matter for something.

That is really, to me, the heart of this problem--people with a perverted sense of love (and I consider it absolutely perverted) equating an animal as the same as a human being, thus thinking we have to tolerate their behaviors the same as we tolerate a humans' quirks. Nonsense. Where I come from, human life and human priorities take precedence over animals. That means your dog or cat which you love is outranked in importance and priorities by your neighbor you don't give 2 rips about--because your neighbor is a human being and your dog is just a freaking dog. Excessive love of pets is a person's own business and no one else's--until it leads to this sort of thing, in which you're going to hear loudly and clearly from me how perverted it indeed is.

People who love their animals too much just can't BARE being told that their yapping yorkie is behaving like an insufferable little brat and either needs to have its cords clipped, to be trained by a certified professional, kept inside always, have an e-collar attached, or--yes indeed--replaced with another dog altogether. Yes--if your dog is that much of a brat, they need to go altogether. To suggest that for a dog or cat is not even remotely the same as telling a parent that maybe they should replace their child. Please.

I have 2 dogs, and 2 children, and I would NEVER suggest that my 2 dogs are even 1 trillionth as important as my children. I don't suffer from that perverted sense of thinking. No, I would be far more receptive to someone complaining about my dogs barking, or my cats getting their paw-prints all over their $40,000 car, than I would someone griping that they hate hearing my kids sing "ring around the rosies" from playing outside.

If my dogs are too loud and can't be corralled, then I'd totally entertain the idea of rehoming them, in a New York minute, whereas I'd never dream of doing that with my children. You can't take the noise of my children playing outside? Unless they're doing it right underneath your window or throwing rocks at your house etc, then that's just the breaks. My children are people too. They're no less nor more important than anybody else. They shouldn't have to be cooped up inside all the time just because someone hates outdoor child play.

Dogs, that's a TOTALLY different story. if they were barking a lot and someone next door was bothered by it, you'd better believe I'd show some RESPECT for the fact my neighbor is a human and my dog is an animal, and compared to the human my dog doesn't mean squat. My dog doesn't pay anything to live here, and my dog is not my child--and no, I don't care what anyone says, your cat your dog or your ferret is NOT A FREAKING CHILD, and to say they are is blasphemous. That neighbor IS a human and DOES pay rent or a mortgage etc, and their right to quiet trumps my dog's "right" to flap its gums at every squirrel in the tree.

Besides that, but it's funny--the 2 dogs I have--they're quiet, and besides the fact that I have actually popped them once or twice ever with a rolled-up newspaper if they were being really stubborn, but they also are basically quiet by nature anyway. It was up to them to fit into the neighborhood, not up to the people around here to learn how to tolerate them. They have fit in, so they are able to stay. There was actually as a dog or two we tried out and they were too noisy, by the next day they were re-homed. There's always someone who owns 70-100 acres and has no neighbors and isn't bothered by noisy dogs themselves and they can be the owners of such dogs. When your living area isn't like that, though, then it's a no-go. You don't DARE ask people living around you to tolerate such noise from a DOG.

Last edited by shyguylh; 02-16-2015 at 12:49 PM..

Old 02-16-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Where I come from, humans are more important than animals, and that's that. Period. It is a morally bankrupt position to assert that an animal is as important as a human being. You don't DARE do that. That's just blasphemy.

That is really, to me, the heart of this problem--people with a perverted sense of love (and I consider it just as perverted as a man fondling an unsuspected little girl, and I MEAN IT) equating an animal as the same as a human being. They just can't BARE the fact that their yapping yorkie is behaving like an insufferable little brat and either needs to have its cords clipped, to be trained by a certified professional, kept inside always, have an e-collar attached, or--yes indeed--replaced with another dog altogether. Yes--if your dog is that much of a brat, they need to go altogether. To suggest that for a dog or cat is not even remotely the same as telling a parent that maybe they should replace their child. Please.

I have 2 dogs, and 2 children, and I would NEVER suggest that my 2 dogs are even 1 trillionth as important as my children. Anyone who does have children and even THINKS such a thing should have their children removed from their home and all rights severed, even visitation, just for THINKING such a thing. That's beyond blasphemous.

No, I have 2 children, and I would fiercely protect their rights so long as they weren't being insufferable brats, in ways I NEVER would with my dogs. If my dogs are too loud and can't be corralled, then I'd totally entertain the idea of rehoming them, in a New York minute, whereas I'd never dream of doing that with my children. You can't take the noise of my children playing outside? Unless they're doing it right underneath your window or throwing rocks at your house etc, then TOUGH. My children are people too. They're no less nor more important than anybody else. They shouldn't have to be cooped up inside all the time just because someone hates outdoor child play.

Dogs, that's a TOTALLY different story. The 2 dogs I have--it's funny, but they're quiet, and maybe it's not just because of their nature (admittedly probably a large part of it) but also because if they bark ANY I am all over them. I'll even smack them with a rolled-up newspaper if I have to--which has happened maybe once in the 4-odd years one of the two has been here, but when it required it, I didn't hesitate to do it. When I say "quiet," I MEAN IT.

Moreover, and more to the point, if they were barking a lot and someone next door was bothered by it, you'd better believe I'd show some RESPECT for the fact my neighbor is a human and my dog is an animal, and compared to the human my dog doesn't mean squat. My dog doesn't pay anything to live here, and my dog is not my child--and no, I don't care what anyone says, your cat your dog or your ferret is NOT A FREAKING CHILD, and to say they are is blasphemous. That neighbor IS a human and DOES pay rent or a mortgage etc, and their right to quiet trumps my dog's "right" to flap its gums at every squirrel in the tree.
Lol, blasphemous? Could you be more dramatic? Kids are loud, dogs are loud. Both are obnoxious in my book. Do I love my cats more than many people? You bet, there are a lot of lousy people out there. Do I treat my cats like my kids? I guess I do considering I don't have any kids nor do I ever want any kids. Interesting that you're having such a hissy fit over people who actually love their pets. How odd. Then again, you're a guy who screams at those who find cell phone users obnoxious so really, I'll take your post with a grain of salt.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:59 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,323,190 times
Quote:
If you don't see a problem loving an animal the same as a child, then you may very well not even get this thread at all, because that to me is a major part of why we have this--because of people standing up for their pets the same as they would their children, and enabling or even encouraging their bratty and unacceptable behavior. They can't see that their dog is, frankly, JUST A DUMB DOG, and the same goes for ANY animal which imposes distressing behavior on the human beings of the planet, the ones who actually matter for something.

That is really, to me, the heart of this problem--people with a perverted sense of love (and I consider it absolutely perverted) equating an animal as the same as a human being, thus thinking we have to tolerate their behaviors the same as we tolerate a humans' quirks. Nonsense. Where I come from, human life and human priorities take precedence over animals. That means your dog or cat which you love is outranked in importance and priorities by your neighbor you don't give 2 rips about--because your neighbor is a human being and your dog is just a freaking dog. Excessive love of pets is a person's own business and no one else's--until it leads to this sort of thing, in which you're going to hear loudly and clearly from me how perverted it indeed is.

People who love their animals too much just can't BARE being told that their yapping yorkie is behaving like an insufferable little brat and either needs to have its cords clipped, to be trained by a certified professional, kept inside always, have an e-collar attached, or--yes indeed--replaced with another dog altogether. Yes--if your dog is that much of a brat, they need to go altogether. To suggest that for a dog or cat is not even remotely the same as telling a parent that maybe they should replace their child. Please.

I have 2 dogs, and 2 children, and I would NEVER suggest that my 2 dogs are even 1 trillionth as important as my children. I don't suffer from that perverted sense of thinking. No, I would be far more receptive to someone complaining about my dogs barking, or my cats getting their paw-prints all over their $40,000 car, than I would someone griping that they hate hearing my kids sing "ring around the rosies" from playing outside.

If my dogs are too loud and can't be corralled, then I'd totally entertain the idea of rehoming them, in a New York minute, whereas I'd never dream of doing that with my children. You can't take the noise of my children playing outside? Unless they're doing it right underneath your window or throwing rocks at your house etc, then that's just the breaks. My children are people too. They're no less nor more important than anybody else. They shouldn't have to be cooped up inside all the time just because someone hates outdoor child play.

Dogs, that's a TOTALLY different story. if they were barking a lot and someone next door was bothered by it, you'd better believe I'd show some RESPECT for the fact my neighbor is a human and my dog is an animal, and compared to the human my dog doesn't mean squat. My dog doesn't pay anything to live here, and my dog is not my child--and no, I don't care what anyone says, your cat your dog or your ferret is NOT A FREAKING CHILD, and to say they are is blasphemous. That neighbor IS a human and DOES pay rent or a mortgage etc, and their right to quiet trumps my dog's "right" to flap its gums at every squirrel in the tree.

Besides that, but it's funny--the 2 dogs I have--they're quiet, and besides the fact that I have actually popped them once or twice ever with a rolled-up newspaper if they were being really stubborn, but they also are basically quiet by nature anyway. It was up to them to fit into the neighborhood, not up to the people around here to learn how to tolerate them. They have fit in, so they are able to stay. There was actually as a dog or two we tried out and they were too noisy, by the next day they were re-homed. There's always someone who owns 70-100 acres and has no neighbors and isn't bothered by noisy dogs themselves and they can be the owners of such dogs. When your living area isn't like that, though, then it's a no-go. You don't DARE ask people living around you to tolerate such noise from a DOG.
I don't think you understand me. I'm not for allowing a dog to chronically bark as much as they want and I'm also NOT for allowing your children to make as much noise as they want. They are both as annoying and many times it's the children that annoy me even more.

You, as an adult, are responsible for the amount of noise your children or pets make and BOTH are susceptible to fines and legal ramifications. In no way should anyone's quality of life be diminished due to noises coming from children OR animals.

Also, adults are limited to the amount of noise they can make as well. It is all the same in the end!

Old 02-16-2015, 01:04 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,298,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Lol, blasphemous? Could you be more dramatic? Kids are loud, dogs are loud. Both are obnoxious in my book. Do I love my cats more than many people? You bet, there are a lot of lousy people out there. Do I treat my cats like my kids? I guess I do considering I don't have any kids nor do I ever want any kids. Interesting that you're having such a hissy fit over people who actually love their pets. How odd. Then again, you're a guy who screams at those who find cell phone users obnoxious so really, I'll take your post with a grain of salt.
Like I said, that is the problem right there--excessive love of pets. It IS perverted, and it leads to the problem, and host of other ones that probably are off-topic, but they all come back to the same thing--thinking your pet is practically a human being. That's sick. It's perverted. It's not really my concern with how someone feels that way, although I consider it absolutely sick, until it causes these sorts of problems--and it is my assertion that it does just that.

I'm actually more tolerant of cats, and I have 2 of them and they're outside and love it and do great at it, but I would respect someone living next to me who would complain about my cats hopping onto the hood of their car and getting paw prints all over it. If I, say, had 2 male cats and they were making an awful lot of noise from "alley cat fighting" with strays, and the noise bothered someone, I'd respect where they're coming from. If I had to, yes, I'd get rid of the cats altogether, if I couldn't keep them indoors.

I would do so, because--well, I understand my cat is "just a cat," and my dog is "just a dog." It's not a child, and to pretend that it is is to exhibit the morals of your average imprisoned molester of children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
I don't think you understand me. I'm not for allowing a dog to chronically bark as much as they want and I'm also NOT for allowing your children to make as much noise as they want. They are both as annoying and many times it's the children that annoy me even more.

You, as an adult, are responsible for the amount of noise your children or pets make and BOTH are susceptible to fines and legal ramifications. In no way should anyone's quality of life be diminished due to noises coming from children OR animals.

Also, adults are limited to the amount of noise they can make as well. It is all the same in the end!
I don't know what constitutes excessive noise from children. I can say that I, for sometime, let my children play outdoors for hours on end, and all I ever heard was "incidental" noise. The neighbor--sometimes their little girls get overly excited and "squeal" here and there. I've never seen that as a reason to complain, and neither have they, and if any of us were to we'd probably we laughed out of the building for suggesting it.

But although I guess some would say "noise is noise," and heck I might have even said that a time or two in certain regards, to me there is a difference between telling children their outdoor play freedoms on their OWN property should be limited vs telling a dog owner that their dog may have to be kept indoors or be trained by a professional. The former involves HUMANS having their activities limited on their own property, the latter involves animals. That right there makes it a open and shut case, because relatively speaking, humans matter and animals are irrelevant. End of story.

And no, I don't care about the views of those "animal lovers" who hate children but idolize their dog or cat like it's the Golden Calf or something. They don't get a vote, in my view. Children's interests matter more than animal's interests, plain and simple. You chose to make a cat or dog your God, when those of us with properly functioning cerebrums know better--that's your problem.

Last edited by shyguylh; 02-16-2015 at 01:15 PM..

Old 02-16-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Like I said, that is the problem right there--excessive love of pets. It IS perverted, and it leads to the problem, and host of other ones that probably are off-topic, but they all come back to the same thing--thinking your pet is practically a human being. That's sick. It's perverted. It's not really my concern with how someone feels that way, although I consider it absolutely sick, until it causes these sorts of problems--and it is my assertion that it does just that.

I'm actually more tolerant of cats, and I have 2 of them and they're outside and love it and do great at it, but I would respect someone living next to me who would complain about my cats hopping onto the hood of their car and getting paw prints all over it. If I, say, had 2 male cats and they were making an awful lot of noise from "alley cat fighting" with strays, and the noise bothered someone, I'd respect where they're coming from. If I had to, yes, I'd get rid of the cats altogether, if I couldn't keep them indoors.

I would do so, because--well, I understand my cat is "just a cat," and my dog is "just a dog." It's not a child, and to pretend that it is is to exhibit the morals of your average imprisoned molester of children.

I don't know what constitutes excessive noise from children. I can say that I, for sometime, let my children play outdoors for hours on end, and all I ever heard was "incidental" noise. The neighbor--sometimes their little girls get overly excited and "squeal" here and there. I've never seen that as a reason to complain, and neither have they, and if any of us were to we'd probably we laughed out of the building for suggesting it.

But although I guess some would say "noise is noise," and heck I might have even said that a time or two in certain regards, to me there is a difference between telling children their outdoor play freedoms on their OWN property should be limited vs telling a dog owner that their dog may have to be kept indoors or be trained by a professional. The former involves HUMANS having their activities limited on their own property, the latter involves animals. That right there makes it a open and shut case, because relatively speaking, humans matter and animals are irrelevant. End of story.

And no, I don't care about the views of those "animal lovers" who hate children but idolize their dog or cat like it's the Golden Calf or something. They don't get a vote, in my view. Children's interests matter more than animal's interests, plain and simple. You chose to make a cat or dog your God, when those of us with properly functioning cerebrums know better--that's your problem.
Speaking of mentally deranged......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events