U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 08:11 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,152,746 times

Advertisements

I'm supporting a bill that mandates wearing your underwear over your clothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 05:01 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,420,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
People wear all kinds of unattractive things. you REALLY think there should be a law? Really? Because I look pretty good in a pair of yoga pants. Why let a few spoil it for everyone?
We have CHILDREN; I could care less on how someone else chooses to appear in front of other people, and how low do they go to embarrass themselves in public, but what do you want me to tell my kids exactly? What does that TEACH about one's appearance? or what is appropriate? I tell my kids that this is no proper way to appear in public. It's embarrassing, and when your body works against you, it is cause for bullying. Don't want to be mocked, then don't give people a reason to do so.

The very reason this should be a law is because mothers/women at large in America, (because you won't see this anywhere else in the world), have lost common sense when it comes to personal appearance. It's like there is a laziness epidemic. Ever watch What Not To Wear? it's eye opening...and it is preposterous that such show even airs.

It's not about "spoiling it for everyone else", it's about what is appropriate for walking around in public places. If there were no clothing items available in stores, then you could use the excuse that you couldn't find any clothes to wear, (still stupid and preposterous), but we have clothing items available; GYM's have changing rooms and showers...there is no EXCUSE under the sun for why someone should appear in public wearing yoga pants and show their flabbiness to the world.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:38 AM

6,171 posts, read 4,966,745 times
Imo I see people wearing these all the time and I get used to it and it's not as fun anymore!

Old 02-17-2015, 07:28 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,255,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
We have CHILDREN;
Isn't that special?

Quote:
I could care less on how someone else chooses to appear in front of other people,
Actually, I doubt this.

Quote:
what do you want me to tell my kids exactly?
How about, "Those clothes are very comfortable" or "People in America are free to wear whatever they want"?

Quote:
What does that TEACH about one's appearance?
That people shouldn't be ashamed of their body?

Quote:
I tell my kids that this is no proper way to appear in public.
That's your prerogative.

Quote:
It's embarrassing, and when your body works against you, it is cause for bullying.
Why don't you teach your kids to do what they want, and stand up to bullies, rather than knuckling under to bullies?

Quote:
Don't want to be mocked, then don't give people a reason to do so.
Don't read books. Don't wear glasses. Don't raise your hand in class. Don't be smart.

Quote:
there is no EXCUSE under the sun for why someone should appear in public wearing yoga pants and show their flabbiness to the world.
Now we get to the real nub of the problem. Some women actually have the audacity to wear yoga pants when their physical appearance doesn't meet your high standards. Who's being a bully now? Go join the Taliban if you want to tell women what is appropriate for them to wear in public.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:41 AM

15,908 posts, read 9,657,072 times
Quote:
We have CHILDREN; I could care less on how someone else chooses to appear in front of other people, and how low do they go to embarrass themselves in public, but what do you want me to tell my kids exactly? What does that TEACH about one's appearance? or what is appropriate? I tell my kids that this is no proper way to appear in public. It's embarrassing, and when your body works against you, it is cause for bullying. Don't want to be mocked, then don't give people a reason to do so.

The very reason this should be a law is because mothers/women at large in America, (because you won't see this anywhere else in the world), have lost common sense when it comes to personal appearance. It's like there is a laziness epidemic. Ever watch What Not To Wear? it's eye opening...and it is preposterous that such show even airs.

It's not about "spoiling it for everyone else", it's about what is appropriate for walking around in public places. If there were no clothing items available in stores, then you could use the excuse that you couldn't find any clothes to wear, (still stupid and preposterous), but we have clothing items available; GYM's have changing rooms and showers...there is no EXCUSE under the sun for why someone should appear in public wearing yoga pants and show their flabbiness to the world.

Oh for Christ sakes I have a child too! Do you really want the government involved legislating a public dress code? They intervene enough in our lives as it is! At any rate, I realize there are a lot of people out there who dress horribly, and yoga pants aren't for everyone! Fine looking women wearing them on the other hand....Well... either way I don't think we need the government mandating dress codes. If you're worried about what to tell your child, it's quite simple... just because so-and so- does it that doesn't mean you can. It is up to you to teach your kids, and dictate what they should wear. My mother told me as a teenager that if I ever came through the front door with a tatoo, an earring, or a mohawk, she'd throw me through the back door. Worked for me! At 41, I still don't have any tatoos or piercings. Not that I ever wanted them anyway.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:56 AM

10,577 posts, read 6,843,341 times
Quote:
I have children. I'm not concerned if they see someone else's clothing. Furthermore, I'm not such a lazy and inept parent that I'm worried about my children being taught by someone else's attire. And people who don't dress they way you want to force them to dress under penalty of law clearly are not embarrassed.

Quote:
Hiarlious!

You want others to teach your children lessons about what to wear. You want others to dress in a way that pleases you.

And you have the temerity to call them lazy...

Quote:
'appropriate'
'stupid and preposterous'
'no excuse'

Those are just empty phrases. They mean nothing more than what you want. It's all about you, isn't it? Stop being so completely self-absorbed.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:12 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,615,444 times
Yoga pants on a well built woman make grocery shopping entertainment as well as necessity. Why does this country get all messed up about women dressing in revealing clothing but remain completely unconcerned with male body builders in T shirts? Why are we still clinging to Puritan restraint?

Old 02-17-2015, 10:22 AM

15,908 posts, read 9,657,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Yoga pants on a well built woman make grocery shopping entertainment as well as necessity. Why does this country get all messed up about women dressing in revealing clothing but remain completely unconcerned with male body builders in T shirts? Why are we still clinging to Puritan restraint?

Indeed it does Greg! I hate shopping! So, seeing a few hotties walking around in yoga pants definitely makes the experience more bearable. As for acting all Puritancial, your guess is as good as mine. I'm more on the conservative side (right-libertarian), but even I don't understand why so many of us are ashamed of the human body?

Old 02-17-2015, 10:25 AM

12,089 posts, read 5,619,230 times
Quote:

You are that hysterical over yoga pants? I think you need to get a grip. Like you have to explain yoga pants to your kids because it's that confusing to them? I'd have to say there must be something wrong with the kids if they're questioning yoga pants. Seriously....yoga pants. If a piece of clothing causes this much panic in you, you need to probably move to the middle of nowhere, that's the only solution.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:04 PM

340 posts, read 535,327 times
Quote:
We have CHILDREN; I could care less on how someone else chooses to appear in front of other people, and how low do they go to embarrass themselves in public, but what do you want me to tell my kids exactly? What does that TEACH about one's appearance? or what is appropriate? I tell my kids that this is no proper way to appear in public.
Looks like you answered your own question. You make it a 'teachable moment'. Teach your kids that some people choose to dress immodestly (in your opinion), and the downside of dressing that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events