Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 08:53 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,492,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikaku View Post
It's funny how there are quite a few comments stating "Indians are harmless" or alluding to his age, but what if he WERE a 30 year old black male? Would the cop had been justified then? Or should cops take race/nationality/age into consideration with how they treat people? And here I was thinking justice was supposed to be blind....silly me.
was he a male of 30? I am not sure why you have to introduce this hypothetical situation. He was a male of 57 and it is obvious from the video that cops handled this terribly and you can paint the guy with the color you want - don't change the age though .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 08:56 AM

148 posts, read 308,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
was he a male of 30? I am not sure why you have to introduce this hypothetical situation. He was a male of 57 and it is obvious from the video that cops handled this terribly and you can paint the guy with the color you want - don't change the age though .
If he were a male of 30 he should still be treated with respect! If the victim were a female of 30 - same thing. ANYONE the police stop and question should be treated with the same baseline level of respect. Respect is not too much to ask from civil servants whom we pay for to protect and serve.

And, race has just as much to do with this as age. Eric Garner was 43 (14 years younger than this guy) and MURDERED. The result - the cop walked free. What happened to this Indian guy is a tragedy and I am happy to see the cop get what he deserves, but I just wish society wasn't so willfully ignorant with how they spread their sympathy and stop applying confirmation bias when things like this occur (e.g. - young, black male deserves whatever he gets because he was no doubt up to no good, cop completely justified!).

Old 02-16-2015, 09:53 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,687,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
It was a reference to the 911 caller who described him as a black man in his 30's.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:13 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,492,884 times
I understand and totally agree no presumption should be made about anyone. What I meant by age 30 is that assuming you have the worst criminal in history of age 30 then you'll have to assume different techniques to handle him and probably what cops did could be justified. Same guy 57 years old - you would have to change them particularly if he doesn't look that fit anymore.

What cops did to this guy who already looked very fragile is unbelievable and shows these cops really did not have any common sense which they really need for the kind of situations they handle every day.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:16 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,630,905 times
This happened literally minutes from where I work. Madison is known to have issues with their law enforcement officials not serving the public as they should.... quite a few are jokingly nicknamed "rogue police". This is why my wife and I refuse to live in Madison. I sincerely hope they have to go through some sort of evaluation by an outside source and maybe clean up their act. Ask any resident living in Madison and they will tell you that while they love Madison, their police force is difficult to deal with to say the least.

From what we are being told on local news, the elderly man has dymentia and was out for a walk when he was approached by the LEO. I've also heard others who know the officer say that he is a very kind person and they can't believe he would do this unless provoked. I've seen the video though and I saw no provocation anywhere. It's extremely unfortunate. However, the Patel's own the majority of the hotels here in Huntsville so I wouldn't doubt that they will own the Madison police department (at least financially) here in the next year or so.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:02 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,830,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post

Before the people of India get too outraged over this, they should take care of their gang rape problem.
Which part of their government commits the most rapes?

FYI, American cops rape women too.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:34 PM

3,454 posts, read 4,912,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Let's stay in reality police haters...
This is a tragic case...unjustifiable to me... and thousands like me.
I do however doubt that the morning of this crime the ex policeman got up thinking... today I'm hoping to jack up some Indian guy...and the comments that we like backing people up or look for confrontations is blatantly and utterly false... unless that is you want an instant career ender.
I also challenge any of you to go through the selection process and background ... most of the public wouldn't pass... our ratio is 300 to 1... applicant to the street .... and the controls on today's police in america are higher than anytime in history ... and will only continue to escalate. At one point in the future every action a policeman makes will be instantly reviewed.... and at line point there will no longer be a human being taking these actions... as a drone and computer will conduct a citizen contact ... thank god I'll long be dust

I have stated over and over... police misconduct including acts of unnecessary use of force account for less than 1 percent of the thousands of contacts police and citizens have daily.
This man was removed from duty. ... fired.. criminally filed upon... every action he took will be under a microscope ... I think he will be judged harshly...

Let this guy be tried...
There are plenty of nice cops. Most of them are in Western Europe, not in the U.S.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:29 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,092,950 times
he isn't white, so I'm surprised this made any new story. must be a slow day.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:11 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,572,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Let's stay in reality police haters...
This is a tragic case...unjustifiable to me... and thousands like me.
I do however doubt that the morning of this crime the ex policeman got up thinking... today I'm hoping to jack up some Indian guy...and the comments that we like backing people up or look for confrontations is blatantly and utterly false... unless that is you want an instant career ender.
I also challenge any of you to go through the selection process and background ... most of the public wouldn't pass... our ratio is 300 to 1... applicant to the street .... and the controls on today's police in america are higher than anytime in history ... and will only continue to escalate. At one point in the future every action a policeman makes will be instantly reviewed.... and at line point there will no longer be a human being taking these actions... as a drone and computer will conduct a citizen contact ... thank god I'll long be dust

I have stated over and over... police misconduct including acts of unnecessary use of force account for less than 1 percent of the thousands of contacts police and citizens have daily.
This man was removed from duty. ... fired.. criminally filed upon... every action he took will be under a microscope ... I think he will be judged harshly...

Let this guy be tried...

Why do you keep you using the word "hater" like a teenage girl would who thinks everyone should love Justin Bieber like she does, and if you don't you're a "hater"?

Do people who question or complain about the mechanic who didn't fix their car right and speak up, are they "mechanic haters"?

So anyone who criticizes the police or anything they do is a "hater"?

Old 02-18-2015, 08:39 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,074,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Why do you keep you using the word "hater" like a teenage girl would who thinks everyone should love Justin Bieber like she does, and if you don't you're a "hater"?

Do people who question or complain about the mechanic who didn't fix their car right and speak up, are they "mechanic haters"?

So anyone who criticizes the police or anything they do is a "hater"?
CD is a great place for police haters//people with criminal histories//chip on their shoulders to spout of without any fear when they lie..or fabricate.. or embellish... that they will be exposed to any substantive review or accountability.. much of what is said would never be said to... for example.. my face...especially after someone took the time to know a little bit about me and the job I do..
many people see "cops tv" today and think that is fully representative of the job.. its just a sliver

Are you a hater?

We need civil order for there to be society.. we need professional well trained highly vetted police for that.. we also need better solutions for use of force options.. police work can be very brutal..
America police are some of the best in the world given the social desires of our society.. one percent of police make it through all the parts of the process that shouldnt.. as I have said before one day you will talk to a drone and a robot

Society ultimately gets what it will pay for in all things
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events