Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 10:41 AM

29,507 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

Indian man slammed down after caller reported 'black guy'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 01:51 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Yes ..really..

Our applicant to hire ratio is about 300 to 1...
I dont think there is a department out there that wouldn't want the best possible applicant available.. you can thank the feds for any reduction in standards... after being sued by minorities, females and other special "protected classes"

We offer an incentive for education..A BA applicant earns 150/mo off the bat.. few HS grads make it through our process other than those classes listed above... most academy failures come from educational deficiencies... Our department has a command college where you can earn a doctorate in public administration if you care to...

As far as small departments... they hire from within their communities... the people that apply are a reflection of it.

Would I want Rhodes scholar supermen.. sure.. so would every other fortune 500 company.. who usually get them

Rand Corp studies show police misconduct, including improper use of force, amounts to less than one percent of the personnel... try that amount in any other profession.. good luck...

No justifying what happened here.. but also.. lets let process work before we off the head of this guy.. he has the right to be tried just like anyone else... there will be no favoritism.. coppers who get tried for crimes MAY get some leniency during sentencing BECAUSE of positive behavior probation reports,, the same as anyone else would under similar circumstances.. but I have also seen the opposite,, where they are made examples of...

I rarely.. if ever .. hear any outcry for blood when police are injured and killed (which happens hourly in America)//" tough luck bud you choose the profession" is usually the answer on CD...

Police haters love to bash... Ive yet to see any show up to help ...

By the way.. your stats and associated stories are based upon ones from 15 years ago... each year standards change..
Look at California POST if you would like to know more

What is your IQ if I may ask?

Last edited by notmeofficer; 02-14-2015 at 02:06 PM..

Old 02-14-2015, 02:06 PM

240 posts, read 252,063 times
It isn't "police bashing" to demand an end to bad cops. Most officers are decent. We all support them. That doesn't mean we're going to turn a blind eye to the ones who deserve to be terminated from the force.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:13 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
I really, REALLY hate to agree with this, but sadly I do.

It's no longer about protecting a serving. The only people they seem to protect and serve, is themselves.

I am not anti-cop, I am pro-accountability.

More times than not, guilty cops walk. I am glad to see this cop was subsequently arrested, but out on a $1000 bond? What a joke. 3rd degree assault? If Joe Public injured a man like that, partially paralyzed him, I am PRETTY damn sure you'd catch a felony charge. So even in arresting the officer, they are protecting him even if he lost his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post

Old 02-14-2015, 03:38 PM

16,541 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I hope the lawsuits from this absolutely cripple the department and the city government. I hope the whole town has to go to once-a-month garbage pickup, to send a message to local governments all across the country - train your officers properly.
As bad as this situation is, why should every member of the community suffer because of one rouge individual?
For that matter, how is it even the fault of the overall police force when hiring standards, many of them mandated by others allow lower hiring standards?
Remember most people think of that as it relates to minorities and women getting hired. But what they don't realize is that when standards are lowered for one group, everyone with substandard backgrounds can now be hired. Sure it allows for more minorities and women to get hired, but it also allows losers from any race or gender to get hired.

So before you go wishing a city is crippled because of a bad apple, ask yourself how involved are you with lobbying your local city for better hiring practices?

`
`

Old 02-14-2015, 03:54 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Yes ..really..

Our applicant to hire ratio is about 300 to 1...
I dont think there is a department out there that wouldn't want the best possible applicant available..
Obviously there are, or there would not be these departments where too high an IQ is not acceptable.
Quote:
you can thank the feds for any reduction in standards... after being sued by minorities, females and other special "protected classes"
So, to be a great department, it must be loaded with white hetero men?
Quote:
We offer an incentive for education..A BA applicant earns 150/mo off the bat.. few HS grads make it through our process other than those classes listed above... most academy failures come from educational deficiencies... Our department has a command college where you can earn a doctorate in public administration if you care to...
Not sure what was meant by 150.
Quote:

As far as small departments... they hire from within their communities... the people that apply are a reflection of it.

Would I want Rhodes scholar supermen.. sure.. so would every other fortune 500 company.. who usually get them

Rand Corp studies show police misconduct, including improper use of force, amounts to less than one percent of the personnel... try that amount in any other profession.. good luck...
Based on what? Police are not required to maintain records of who, how, or when, or the outcomes. Are all public complaints recorded and presented to the public to keep track of?

BTW, what "professions" are there where there is any brutality at all? Too many cocky bus drivers?
Quote:

No justifying what happened here.. but also.. lets let process work before we off the head of this guy.. he has the right to be tried just like anyone else... there will be no favoritism.. coppers who get tried for crimes MAY get some leniency during sentencing BECAUSE of positive behavior probation reports,, the same as anyone else would under similar circumstances.. but I have also seen the opposite,, where they are made examples of...
The level of contempt for police from the community is not based on this one incidence. It is an observable and tragic pattern of misconduct - and the judicial blind eye - that is being objected to.
Quote:

I rarely.. if ever .. hear any outcry for blood when police are injured and killed (which happens hourly in America)//" tough luck bud you choose the profession" is usually the answer on CD...
No more than about a hundred cops killed a year in the line of duty. Sad, true, but nowhere near the number of citizens killed by cops each year -- with no public scrutiny on most cases, just departmental and DA "this one's OK too."

As far as no outcry, what do you call all that anti-protesting in NYC? Also, cops are paid to take the risk; I firmly believe that if they didn't set themselves apart and above the average citizen there might be more public observance. Nobody is interested in morning their overlords.

As I said, it is sad when a cop is killed but if I didn't know them personally, I do not go out in the streets and wail, just as I wouldn't if a close friend died. Most people keep these things to themselves.
Quote:

Plenty of neighbors and other citizens come to the aid of others... It is in the news all the time. For you to ignore it means you may have a blind bias.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 02-14-2015 at 05:08 PM..

Old 02-14-2015, 04:19 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
They thought he was a skinny black guy.
I wish I could laugh out loud. This is the truest and saddest statement I've read so far. The caller was nervous and afraid to leave his family alone because he saw a man walking around his neighborhood in broad daylight. Why didn't he just approach him and ask what he was doing?

By the way, there is no way Mr. Patel looks African-American. I'm not saying that, even if he were Black, the caller should have been concerned, but this just demonstrates the mentality of many people when it comes to racial profiling.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:47 PM

48 posts, read 47,294 times
Quote:
I rarely.. if ever .. hear any outcry for blood when police are injured and killed
Whatever sympathy accrues is demolished rapidly by brutality such as this.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:06 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I wish I could laugh out loud. This is the truest and saddest statement I've read so far. The caller was nervous and afraid to leave his family alone because he saw a man walking around his neighborhood in broad daylight. Why didn't he just approach him and ask what he was doing?

By the way, there is no way Mr. Patel looks African-American. I'm not saying that, even if he were Black, the caller should have been concerned, but this just demonstrates the mentality of many people when it comes to racial profiling.
It is a sad state of affairs in this country when people are so paranoid that we call the police because someone is out for a walk, when the police assume that everyone they approach is a threat and when ordinary citizens feel the need to carry guns for their own protection.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:24 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,551,122 times
That poor family. The grandfather was just there to help take care of a new grandson. I hope he can heal enough to continue to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events