Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 09:52 PM

170 posts, read 132,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
It is interesting how things shift. At least this time, the media isn't trying to dig up some petty crime from the poor guy's youth to justify him being paralyzed. Baby steps right?
Touche! But not just the media. They are many on CD that relentlessly bring up things from a victim's past to justify police actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 10:39 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,518,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
As a policeman with more years than this officer has been alive this appears to me to be an unnecessary use of force and would violate any policy or procedure I can think of.. other than some real threat.. and there was none

The officer will face assault and battery for this...

The department and city will be liable for a huge payout

I would like to know what the heck was going on in his mind that he thought this was an acceptable technique...

We have 57 languages regularly spoken in my areas... most aliens do not understand commands... we train for this all the time

Sad,,, really sad... injured an innocent person for life.. gave up a career... brought dishonor to all of us

For me to use this much force it would be a fight... or non compliance that put my life of the life of others in danger... we dont throw people on the ground without substantial cause...

As to the police haters.. this is a rare case... and while haters love to post this stuff saying its routine.. the reality is that it is very very rare to have a case where unjustifiable force is used resulting in an injury and officer termination and criminal complaint
So anyone who criticizes the police is a "hater"? Aren't you a little long in the tooth to be using that expression?

These incidents are becoming more and more prevalent. Look it's not an easy job, but this is the first time some action has been taken.

The two cops who beat a homeless man to death in CA went to trial and got off. One of them later on was in I believe a Sizzler restaurant and the taunts from other customers forced him to leave. I guess everyone in a crowded restaurant hated cops, they were all cop "haters", or maybe they were regular middle class people who pay taxes who are getting fed up.

Most jobs when you screw up there are ramifications. Cops have shot and killed innocent people and get put on paid leave, than are back on the job.

It was refreshing to see for a change a cop get fired and face charges. Of course it doesn't do much for the man he paralyzed.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:13 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,578,626 times
Get used to it, folks. This is the trend, and it's not going to get better. Over the last 10 to 15 years, police forces in the United States have been shifting more and more toward paramilitary organizations rather than law enforcement. As more and more combat veterans returning from the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq are being hired by police departments across the country, you can expect to see this military mentality become more commonplace among police officers. People they stop on the street are not seen as citizens to be treated with respect, and in many cases no longer even as suspects, but as an enemy. Welcome to the New America.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:36 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,164,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Get used to it, folks. This is the trend, and it's not going to get better. Over the last 10 to 15 years, police forces in the United States have been shifting more and more toward paramilitary organizations rather than law enforcement. As more and more combat veterans returning from the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq are being hired by police departments across the country, you can expect to see this military mentality become more commonplace among police officers. People they stop on the street are not seen as citizens to be treated with respect, and in many cases no longer even as suspects, but as an enemy. Welcome to the New America.
I really, REALLY hate to agree with this, but sadly I do.

It's no longer about protecting a serving. The only people they seem to protect and serve, is themselves.

I am not anti-cop, I am pro-accountability.

More times than not, guilty cops walk. I am glad to see this cop was subsequently arrested, but out on a $1000 bond? What a joke. 3rd degree assault? If Joe Public injured a man like that, partially paralyzed him, I am PRETTY damn sure you'd catch a felony charge. So even in arresting the officer, they are protecting him even if he lost his job.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:18 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,825,559 times
The charge itself is an insult but maybe the feds can come up with something better.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:20 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,707,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks5692
It's cases like this that make my blood boil. Yeah, I want our cops to protect themselves, but this is an outrage. The cops slammed this old man face first to the ground. Two cops against one old man!
Ya they are out of control mate!!! (Its quite scary what they can do AND GET AWAY WITH)

Old 02-14-2015, 04:19 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,064,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Simply not true... I wish we could hire more veterans... reality is most cannot pass the backgrounds or psychological exams... those that do are fine examples of human beings and usually make excellent policeman.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:42 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,951,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
So anyone who criticizes the police is a "hater"? Aren't you a little long in the tooth to be using that expression?

These incidents are becoming more and more prevalent. Look it's not an easy job, but this is the first time some action has been taken.

The two cops who beat a homeless man to death in CA went to trial and got off. One of them later on was in I believe a Sizzler restaurant and the taunts from other customers forced him to leave. I guess everyone in a crowded restaurant hated cops, they were all cop "haters", or maybe they were regular middle class people who pay taxes who are getting fed up.

Most jobs when you screw up there are ramifications. Cops have shot and killed innocent people and get put on paid leave, than are back on the job.

It was refreshing to see for a change a cop get fired and face charges. Of course it doesn't do much for the man he paralyzed.
Did you even read what he wrote? All he said is that these instances are rare and not the norm. He is 100% correct in that assertion. Of course this is all you see on the news. Do you think the media is going to report stories about the other 100 cops in that department that haven't had a use of force in the last 5 years? No because that's boring and it doesn't get people riled up. Let's look at this mathematically. That department answers thousands of calls a year. So 1 bad incident like this accounts for less then (way less then) .1% of the police action of that department.

And no this isn't the "first time" some action has been taken. That statement alone lets me know that you aren't looking at this objectively. There are many cases where an officer is disciplined so lets not get carried away with the whole "cops are never punished"

With that being said, I do agree with you that the police aren't being held accountable in many cases where they should be. Hopefully, that trend will start to change. The cops in this particular incident were completely wrong and I'm glad that proper action is being taken by the department.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:06 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,396,360 times
The young cop that threw that fellow to the ground was way over the top in his reaction. He deserved to be fired and if they have arrested & charged him from it, then good. He should pay for what he did. Indians are harmless, respectful and hardworking. There was no need for this kind of reaction.

I would also bring his management into this. Obviously they failed at their job as well.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:14 AM

4,972 posts, read 7,162,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
It is interesting how things shift. At least this time, the media isn't trying to dig up some petty crime from the poor guy's youth to justify him being paralyzed. Baby steps right?
The cops originally said the victim was "looking in garages" (whatever THAT means) but dropped it when the media cried BS.

The psycho cop's bond was a measly 1000 bucks. So much for being held to a higher standard...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events