U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2015, 12:01 PM

11,411 posts, read 6,461,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I've been in a lot of schools where fights broke out and not once did any teacher flip their lids like that. They broke it up and went to the office and dealt the punishment. Calmly. You could tell who the adult was, and who the kids were not only by their age but most importantly by their actions.
If she can't handle the situation like an adult she should quit and enroll herself. She acted like a freaked out teen. Those kids need ADULT guidance, so they can learn how to act like it and not brawl in the "REAL WORLD" because their future depends on it.
How is acting just like them going to solve the problem? Maybe she's just not cut out for the job, doesn't seem she can handle it without becoming hysterical. Because these kids are high maintenance, they need a calm, stricked adult not a hysterical person obviously overcome by the situation. Imo.
The other teachers seem capable of handling it, thats why she was reported. The other adults could see she was flipping her lid. She needs to learn to manage her anger, there are classes for that.
You've been in schools for kids with behavior problems for long periods of time? Sure, it's easier to keep your cool if bad behavior is a rare event and fights almost never happen. Something tells me this isn't one of those schools. I didn't go to a school for kids with behavior problems yet I saw several teachers get angry and yell at their students...one of them was the baseball coach that taught history. When you entered his class play time was over and even "bad" kids settled down.

And what is handling the situation like an adult? Adults act in all kinds of ways. If she was acting just like them she would be encouraging them to fight - not yelling for them to stop embarrassing themselves.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
How is fighting like being retarded? They can't handle their anger, they need anger management not a hysterical lady who can't handle her anger either.
If we are calling a spade a spade then lets just call her a bad principal. And instead of screaming she's reatarded, actually fix the issue.
How is fighting at school retareded? That's a silly question unless something is mentally handicapped to the point of not knowing right from wrong. And yes, any kids fighting at school need some anger management, but they also need to know how society perceives their behavior...act like a misfit and people will label you a "retard" or something similar. An adult yelling at you may seem vicious, but that kind o behavior in the real world carry much stiffer penalties or even death.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
One of the few things that makes me angry is the popular belief that there is screaming-yelling-violence-cursing and then there is lets-all-hold-hands-and sing stuff. Can people really, truly not see that there are other options?

Anyone who thinks those are the only options shouldn't be anywhere near children either. Anyone in the educational system should have a hell of a lot more in their child guidance arsenal than that. It's their job.
Something tells me these kids have already had the entire arsenal thrown at them. Perhaps this is the last stop before juvenile detention. I doubt this woman goes straight to yelling for every act of bad behavior.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:30 PM

9,693 posts, read 5,296,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Somehow I can't help but feel that one day at this school would change the position of several posters. It's said it's a school for kids with behavior problems and sometimes people can be more receptive if they are addressed in the way they communicate themselves. I know it's wrong for an administrator to stoop to that level. I just wonder if that's the only level that gets results in her situation. If she gave a sweet nice speech about expectations and the rules would it have been background noise?
But the alternative wasn't simply giving a "sweet nice speech about expectations and the rules of the world" that would have been drowned out by background noise. The principle could've been loud, assertive, and demanding without being unprofessional, insulting, demeaning, and an overall jerk.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:21 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,215,379 times
When I was in school all of the kids in Spec Ed didnt want to be treated "special". They wanted to be treated just like anyone else. So if the principal or teacher yelled at a kid in another class they wouldnt have stood for "dont yell at THOSE kids because THEYRE in Spec Ed".

Old 02-16-2015, 07:16 PM

13,022 posts, read 12,480,451 times
I'm all for profanity as a means of self-expression, and can get quite creative with all sorts of 4-letter words. However, I consider it the height of rudeness to cuss AT someone, and to do so in a professional capacity is a mark of immaturity and disrespect. To do so towards minors you are responsible for or people who report to you is unforgivable. It's not leadership-it's bullying then.

Moreover, having some knowledge of special needs kids, I know that one must model the behavior you expect from them at all times. These are kids who have difficulty expressing themselves and processing information. They are very impressionable when it comes to bad habits. To curse at them, to single a couple of them out... it's just not anything that's going to have a good result.

I understand how frustrating it can be working with that population, but you need to find other outlets for that frustration than THEM. They are children and they have problems, and the starting point for any successful interaction with them is "do no harm."

Old 02-17-2015, 03:58 PM

7,975 posts, read 3,745,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Apparently according to the comments, she isn't "out", she's being moved to another place to be inflicted on other children.
And there in lies one of the biggest problems with the teachers union. It is almost impossible to fire them even when there is cause. Of course to fire them for incompetence is a non starter, so they just play musical chairs with them when a complaint is filed.
You nailed the proper verbiage when saying inflicted on other children.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:26 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,631,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
No matter their behaviour, it still doesn't justify her yelling at them, especially calling them retarded. Again, I must ask: if this was your child, is her behaviour acceptable? If it is, it would make me wonder if you'd treat your own child in this way also?
Specifically answered: My real children would have never been 'sentenced' to such a facility, and my imaginary incorrigible children would have deserved it.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:17 PM

11,440 posts, read 19,478,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
And there in lies one of the biggest problems with the teachers union. It is almost impossible to fire them even when there is cause. Of course to fire them for incompetence is a non starter, so they just play musical chairs with them when a complaint is filed.
You nailed the proper verbiage when saying inflicted on other children.
But she's an administrator -- are they covered by the teachers union?

Old 02-20-2015, 04:39 AM

26,163 posts, read 14,496,221 times
Yes I think they are............. -- Doesnt she sound fed up??

She sounds like she is sick of everything and blows up @ everyone as a result.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or