Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 06:51 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Are you kidding? She was shouting profanities at mentally challenged kids. No teacher or principle or anyone for that matter should be swearing at a child.

IMO, that is disgusting. How would you feel if you were a parent of one of those kids she belittled and degraded?
Agreed. No educator/administrator should be using such language against students, whether they are mentally challenged or not. That's just not OK. That's not how you teach lessons and maintain order.

Having written that, I can't say that I am upset that the aid was fired until I know more about the situation. True, I don't know everything about the principal's actions and yet have taken a stand, but I also find it difficult to see how such language, aimed at students by an educator/administrator, would be appropriate under any circumstance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 07:46 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
Aren't kids allowed to curse nowadays at school? If we remove the curse words did she really do THAT much aside from maybe yelling too loudly?

Old 02-15-2015, 12:44 AM

518 posts, read 871,921 times
News like this should be viral and stunningly rare and incredible. Sadly, nothing seems to surprise me anymore. Even with our high ranking "public servants" "principals" and "educators"

Appalling. Being fired (without pension etc.) should be the absolute minimum outcome. The local PD should look into if there is a potential for criminal charges. With the amount of laws, I would think there would be some sorta child abuse etc. that they can pop her considering she is an educator etc. This would be the common sense outcome.

BUT we are shown time and time again how friggin out of control and nonsensical this country has become. So with that in mind it would not surprise me at all if this is swept under the rug until it becomes or old news or she is placed on some administrative leave and is forced to take some kinda sensitivity training BS then reinstated. Or she lawyers up and claims it's "not her" in the tape and then sues the school district if she is terminated somehow.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:48 AM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,582 times
The worker who reported the principal should be able to sue under the Whistleblower's Protection Act since this is a pretty clear case of a retaliatory firing. The profanities are not appropriate in an educational setting, but the biggest issue I have with it is the use of the word "retard". Nothing like further stigmatizing special needs kids, eh?

Old 02-15-2015, 05:06 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
This is an employee holding a position of public trust and authority, highly educated, and is working with children who need kindness and understanding.

No matter WHO it is, be it the children's parents themselves, their next door neighbor, a policeman, a teacher, the children's best friend's mother/father, NO child, challenged or not, should be subjected to this kind of behaviour from an adult.

Had my best friend had ever behaved like that around my children (who are not mentally challenged) when they were school age, she certainly wouldn't be my best friend any more.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:57 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Well what did the kids do? I'm not supporting anyone here, just trying to get the whole picture. And I don't automatically find curse words an outrageous offence these days. If people were honest they wouldn't either, so context is everything.
Did you even watch the video?

There is NO EXCUSE to loose your cool like that and no, sorry, cursing at students and name calling IS an outrageous offense. ESPECIALLY in the current climate of "no bullying" yada yada.

Just because a large segment of society NOW claims there are no STANDARDS required for ANYONE, doesn't make it right.

I am shocked and amazed that you feel it's ok to single out a kid as a "RETARD" in front of an auditorium of kids who probably DO have a certain percentage of intellectually challenged [RETARDED] kids.

And what's UP with yelling at a student for not giving up a seat to a teacher like that?

Anyone who misbehaves can go through the disciplinary process. Even in a "war zone" like the screwed up NY school system.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:00 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Aren't kids allowed to curse nowadays at school? If we remove the curse words did she really do THAT much aside from maybe yelling too loudly?
OH you mean like singling out a kid as a "RETARD" at the top of her lungs in an auditorium of kids who probably are demographically largely "retarded"?

Old 02-15-2015, 07:07 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Agreed. I really think the word "bullying" is overused. She didn't bully the kids like the former teacher's aide claimed. She yelled at them; that's all. Her language was out of line and she should be disciplined in some way. Maybe she should be suspended without pay temporarily. But this doesn't seem like bullying at all, and I don't think she should be fired if this is her only transgression at the school.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:21 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,069 times
Somehow I can't help but feel that one day at this school would change the position of several posters. It's said it's a school for kids with behavior problems and sometimes people can be more receptive if they are addressed in the way they communicate themselves. I know it's wrong for an administrator to stoop to that level. I just wonder if that's the only level that gets results in her situation. If she gave a sweet nice speech about expectations and the rules would it have been background noise?

Old 02-15-2015, 07:35 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times
Quote:
Not really, just gave them a bad self esteem, calling them retard. Oh, and probably gave them a lot of anxiety. She didn't seem to deal with individuals, she addressed the whole school in behalf of a few kids.
She certainly lacked turning anyone around, and helping make them adjust to society in a healthy manner by learning to control anger. Learning to deal in a healthy emotional state is probably shot, I imagine they learned to hate adults a bit more, but other than that not much.

The damage she did to parents is probably far worse, they sent their kids to a special school to help prevent them from becoming adults like her. I don't imagine they are to happy the exact opposite was being taught. It was school, not juvie. These kids had disorders, not criminal records. If the principal of the school couldn't separate the two then how could she organize a school to help them avoid those pitfalls?

She should be fired, as she has done long term damage to that schools reputation. Teachers need to pass the "patience is a virtue test"(the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset). Most kids are prone to irritating adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events