Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 06:13 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,167,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I can't believe posts here are standing up for violence against free speech.
The left’s, almost all Democrat, sympathy for the Islamic world can be traced back to their antipathy towards Bush. He invaded two Muslim countries and by God Islam must be defended at all costs. They are preprogramed to think like this and it doesn’t matter that their current patriarch is bombing the hell out of them too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 06:45 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,835,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
The left’s, almost all Democrat, sympathy for the Islamic world can be traced back to their antipathy towards Bush. He invaded two Muslim countries and by God Islam must be defended at all costs. They are preprogramed to think like this and it doesn’t matter that their current patriarch is bombing the hell out of them too.
Um, I'm as left of center as they come and have always felt that the basic core tenets of Islam are incontrovertibly incompatible with free, democratic and secular countries such as the U.S. and most other western nations. That doesn't mean I'm against all Muslims, only Islamists and those more extreme in their beliefs, but I'm still not going to be violent towards them peacefully expressing their beliefs; I wouldn't allow anything Sharia to infect our nation (I guess Dearborn is questionable- but at least it provides us with a warning to stop it there) but I also don't think there is any real threat of this.

I don't know why I keep hearing from those on the right that the left blindly supports all things Islam, it has never been the case.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:04 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,422,634 times
Throw the parasites out of your country Denmark. So sad

Old 02-14-2015, 07:27 PM

4,564 posts, read 5,630,018 times
Default Danish Prime Minister Helle Thorning-Schmidt called the shooting an "at of terrorism"

Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
People say things that I find offensive all the time. Does that mean I should punch everyone's lights out? Individuals need to learn how to have more self control. Because of the gunmen's act in the heat of the moment, he now faces severe punishment that could last a very long time.
I doubt this was "in the heat of the moment", this was an act of terrorism in retribution for a publication eight years in the past, against an artist who has been a target of Jihad for many years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA Today
Danish authorities mounted a nationwide manhunt Saturday for a gunman who opened fire on a free speech seminar ( "Art, blasphemy and the freedom of expression" ) at Copenhagen's Krudttoenden cafe in an apparent attempt to kill Lars Vilks, a Swedish artist who had published cartoons of the prophet Mohammed eight years ago.
Helle Merete Brix, one of the organizers of the event, told the TV station the attack was a "clear assassination attempt" of Vilks. Pennsylvania's "Jihad Jane" recently received a 10-year prison term for a plot to kill Vilks.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:36 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,011,899 times
Quote:
I think you're missing the point - pretty unbelievable at this late stage - Bush's invasion of Iraq was probably the biggest blunder in US history, not least because it was a gift to the Islamists. The fact that so-called ISIS is in the position that it is now, is largely thanks to that blunder. Saddam, as much of a monster as he was, was essentially a secularist, a bulwark against Islamism. You don't have to be a tree-hugging peacenik to see the folly of that Mesopotamian misadventure, merely informed.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post

I don't know why I keep hearing from those on the right that the left blindly supports all things Islam, it has never been the case.
I am glad I met you because I can’t explain why the apologists of Islamic violence are almost exclusively on the left. This is all the more ironic if you consider that all the causes that the left is proud to champion, such as women’s rights and gay rights are nonexistent. I really want to know why that is.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:45 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,011,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notthewise1 View Post
Developed world? Baloney. There are limits to free speech everywhere, including in the USA. You can't go spouting what you choose. Just because you have the freedom to abuse does not mean it is wise to abuse. It doesn't hurt to be sensitive to others, especially when it is millions of others.
We're not talking about shouting fire in a theater, we're talking about criticism, observation, discussion, debate, commentary, satire. People have rights, ideas don't. We should be free to criticize, opine on or take to task any ideas we want. The fact that hundreds or thousands or millions of people believe something doesn't make it above criticism.

Last edited by modernist1; 02-14-2015 at 08:38 PM..

Old 02-14-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Saddam, as much of a monster as he was, was essentially a secularist, a bulwark against Islamism.
Sadly, I did not know it then. Not very many people did. Even long after the invasion, those who opposed the invasion made their case by saying that Saddam didn’t have anything to do with 9/11, not that he was a bulwark against Islamists. What we should have known was that Iran was the original IS and Saddam stopped them. Everything ISIS has done Iran did it 30 years ago, and are doing now. How many recognize this even now?

Old 02-14-2015, 08:34 PM

1,431 posts, read 907,823 times
Quote:
Sadly, I did not know it then. Not very many people did. Even long after the invasion, those who opposed the invasion made their case by saying that Saddam didn’t have anything to do with 9/11, not that he was a bulwark against Islamists. What we should have known was that Iran was the original IS and Saddam stopped them. Everything ISIS has done Iran did it 30 years ago, and are doing now. How many recognize this even now?
I didn't realize it until my second tour in Iraq. He was definitely a turd, but he kept all of this in check. We should've left him in power.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:30 PM

240 posts, read 250,918 times
Wow. I can't believe some of the comments in here.

We can't yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater. People will get hurt by that. You can walk up to a stranger and tell her she's ugly, but would you, knowing your words would hurt her? Of course not...not if you're human. Why do many of you defend people who purposely go out of their way to cause other people pain? That's not freedom of speech. That's just sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events