U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 07:36 AM

22,947 posts, read 21,473,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
I didn't realize it until my second tour in Iraq. He was definitely a turd, but he kept all of this in check. We should've left him in power.
No matter how many of his own people he murdered? At what point do we draw the line, or do we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 07:40 AM

726 posts, read 664,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notthewise1 View Post
Your problem is that you are applying your values to people around the globe. What is acceptable to you is not necessarily acceptable to others. Until you fail to realize that the US constitution isn't a global doctrine I would imagine you would find it hard to accept that there are different sets of value for each society. Each segment of society has its boundaries, real or feigned. For the US, it is a trumped up WMD excuse to slaughter innocents. For the Muslim radical, it looks like attacks on their religious leader is the excuse to behave like horrendous savages. I find it disturbing that between the two sides of this equation the bodies of innocents continue to pile up.
Yeah, each society has its boundaries... guess where the killings are happening - OUR society. Not Iran, not Saudi Arabia, but Denmark, France, Britain and so on. They are immigrants in someone else's country trying to set the rules. Bolllocks to them. If they don't like the way the west does things they know where the door is.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:45 AM

22,947 posts, read 21,473,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I can't believe posts here are standing up for violence against free speech. I don't care how offensive your ideas are I will never be violent against you because of them. To condone this and make excuses for it is to condone the very violent and savage terrorism that we are witnessing world wide from extremists.

Oh, and reports coming in just now are telling of shots fired and injuries near a synagogue in Copenhagen- what, the Jewish gathering for prayers was offensive enough to someone and deserving of violence?
As it turns out the security guard who was posted outside the synagogue for a bar mitzvah celebration was who was shot.
Sadly in the last few years the Jewish community all around the world have felt the need to post security for their own protection and safety due to threats.

Can you say "here we go again, Hitlers final solution part 2"?

Old 02-15-2015, 07:57 AM

9,693 posts, read 5,275,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
As it turns out the security guard who was posted outside the synagogue for a bar mitzvah celebration was who was shot.
Sadly in the last few years the Jewish community all around the world have felt the need to post security for their own protection and safety due to threats.

Can you say "here we go again, Hitlers final solution part 2"?
It is very sad. Someone made the comment that Netanyahu's call for immigration to Israel by European and Jews from elsewhere is ridiculous given that Jews in Israel also face danger from the likes of Hamas. That may be true. But I'd rather be in a country where I was loved and didn't have to hide who I was vs. being in some other, supposedly free countries where antisemitism is seemingly running rampant.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:58 AM

10,395 posts, read 8,346,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Looks like the religion of peace is at it again ...

Copenhagen shooting during debate on Islam: live - Telegraph
Naw the POTUS says it's work place violence.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:24 AM

610 posts, read 556,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Looks like the religion of peace is at it again ...

Copenhagen shooting during debate on Islam: live - Telegraph
Did this woman also follow the religion of peace?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM0uvgHKZe8

Or is it only terrorism when Muslims do it?

Old 02-15-2015, 08:31 AM

610 posts, read 556,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
It is very sad. Someone made the comment that Netanyahu's call for immigration to Israel by European and Jews from elsewhere is ridiculous given that Jews in Israel also face danger from the likes of Hamas. That may be true. But I'd rather be in a country where I was loved and didn't have to hide who I was vs. being in some other, supposedly free countries where antisemitism is seemingly running rampant.
Jews face retribution around the world because people place collective blame on them for the wacko **** Israel does.

It's twisted logic, to be sure, but the Israeli government is REALLY ****ing nasty to Muslims broadly, despite what the American propaganda machine would have you believe. Here's an example:

UN: In 2014, Israel demolished 1,177 Palestinians

Think about it.... EVERY U.S. politician CLAMORS for to defend Israel against anyone who says it does anything wrong ever. Doesn't that stink just slightly, knowing that those things politicians cry the most about are generally the biggest lies?

I'm not saying anti-semitism is a morally acceptable reaction, but the fire is certainly being stoked by Israeli government action, over and over and over.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:49 AM

2,266 posts, read 1,373,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notthewise1 View Post
Your problem is that you are applying your values to people around the globe. What is acceptable to you is not necessarily acceptable to others. Until you fail to realize that the US constitution isn't a global doctrine I would imagine you would find it hard to accept that there are different sets of value for each society. Each segment of society has its boundaries, real or feigned. For the US, it is a trumped up WMD excuse to slaughter innocents. For the Muslim radical, it looks like attacks on their religious leader is the excuse to behave like horrendous savages. I find it disturbing that between the two sides of this equation the bodies of innocents continue to pile up.
We're not talking (particularly) about the United States - but Western liberal democracies in general - in this recent incident - Denmark (not 'war-mongering' America). Those same secular democracies are also countries where many Muslim immigrants opt to live - where they can enjoy the benefits of those freer, more developed societies. Some however, would drag the world backward to the 7th century. Why engage in cultural relativism?
Re your WMD reference, absolutely, the invasion of Iraq, was indeed an outrage, and worse than that, a blunder. Some other western countries decided not to get involved, rightly so. It might also be pointed out that France was one of them - that didn't prevent them from being victim from Islamist terrorism recently, why would it? There's a lot to criticize about US foreign policy but that's largely for another different thread.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:05 AM

48 posts, read 37,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingil View Post
i'm not saying anti-semitism is a morally acceptable reaction, but the fire is certainly being stoked by israeli government action, over and over and over.
+1

Old 02-15-2015, 11:29 AM

1,431 posts, read 658,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
No matter how many of his own people he murdered? At what point do we draw the line, or do we?
That's a topic we can discuss in another thread, not here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or