U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2015, 09:02 PM

792 posts, read 1,056,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
I support personal responsibility also, but none of this was the fault of a firearm, no more that it was the fault of the vehicles, which started this whole episode. It was stupid people that had no regard for Law. So we half agree. I would also be pretty sure that these folks would have had guns, even if they had to jump through a few more hoops to get them. Some things you just can not stop, and they are destined to play out.
Actually I fully agree with you...I was not blaming the weapon...Just as you so well stated...a motor vehicle, like a firearm is an inanimate object...until the human factor becomes involved !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 09:02 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,434,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
Totally understand and respect your opinion...my only thought (and hope) is that the press releases are geared to maintain respect for the family...Metro is in a no win situation as if they don't choose their words carefully and correctly, they will get tons of criticism. At this point it's almost like reading between the lines...it is a totally bizarre scenario but hope in time the facts get disclosed.
At this point I think the police are going to have to start back tracking or they are going to look incredibly foolish supporting a crazy woman who got herself killed with her reckless actions. They are bringing the criticism on themselves.

If the police really wanted to investigate this, they would have just remained neutral, and called on the shooters to turn themselves in and give their side of the story. But instead they have come out and stated that the woman is positively the victim, and please help them find the people who murdered her. So much for investigative work.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:11 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,434,911 times
Even the gun rights advocates are distancing themselves from these people.

Quote:
As gun owners, we make the conscious decision to arm ourselves against lethal force threats to ourselves, our families, and to wider extent, our communities and country. That decision to carry lethal force comes with the responsibility to use that force as rationally and dispassionately as possible, and only when absolutely necessary to defend human life.

We cannot and should not use firearms to solve minor disputes, nor can we afford to act recklessly and dangerously in the mistaken belief that if we can then use the threat of lethal force to get us out of trouble once we’ve allowed anger to rule us.

Tammy Meyers and her son made all of those mistakes
Bearing ArmsLOOK FOR TROUBLE AND YOU'LL FIND IT: The Preventable Death of Tammy Myers. - Bearing Arms

Old 02-18-2015, 09:36 PM

10,313 posts, read 9,442,671 times
Good article, KaaBoom. I agree with it. She should have just gone home and let the police handle it. As others have stated here, there is something more to this story. I won't speculate on what it is but something is fishy.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:13 PM

792 posts, read 1,056,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
At this point I think the police are going to have to start back tracking or they are going to look incredibly foolish supporting a crazy woman who got herself killed with her reckless actions. They are bringing the criticism on themselves.

If the police really wanted to investigate this, they would have just remained neutral, and called on the shooters to turn themselves in and give their side of the story. But instead they have come out and stated that the woman is positively the victim, and please help them find the people who murdered her. So much for investigative work.
I understand what you are saying...just remember that the deceased is in deed a victim...I have not heard the term "innocent" victim...which is a huge difference. We live in a world of political correctness...I don't envy that spokesperson's position...this is a tough one to explain...

Old 02-18-2015, 11:14 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,762,829 times
INTENT is when you get a gun and go looking when you are not, at that moment in time, in any danger. You THOUGHT he passed aggressively? (opinion, not determined as fact) and then your driver trainee acted aggressively (while in training!).

I've had that happen twice with young female drivers in Calgary, AB (and no where else). Apparently my getting my five speed into gear wasn't fast enough for the fat thing behind me. I pulled up along side at the next light and stated quietly to dad, sitting in the right seat, that I was driving a standard, not an automatic, and proceeded.

With a million miles of driving I do not use the horn for any reason other than parallel parking in the dark. No other.

My young cousin just got cut off up north in "the Patch" and had just had to catch up and cut off the other driver. He easily could have been killed. First, everyone up there drives fast anyway; YOUR version of being cut off is anothers "you're blocking the way". Remember when James Garner got pounded on the LA freeway when he stopped and got into it with a guy that proved "Rockford" couldn't throw a punch worth crap???

Old 02-19-2015, 06:32 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,450,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
INTENT is when you get a gun and go looking when you are not, at that moment in time, in any danger. You THOUGHT he passed aggressively? (opinion, not determined as fact) and then your driver trainee acted aggressively (while in training!).

Agree. She must have taken this opportunity and when home explain young trainee that see this is what happens when you get involved in road rage so learn a lesson and make sure you never ever get involved in another road rage- make it first and last. Instead she asked her to wake up 22 year old and ask him to bring the gun down - we'll teach this road rage bully a lesson! What does the young trainee learn from this?

Old 02-19-2015, 06:53 AM

7,907 posts, read 3,729,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Then hit and run laws are pretty much worthless. Since stopping after any accident, could potentially be a dangerous situation.
Funny you should say this because some people will wait, in the middle of the street for the most minor of bumper taps. It has gotten so bad in major cities many have adopted laws that require you to move a non disabled vehicle with no injuries out of the road to wait for someone to take a report.

As to danger, you have to use your best judgment since certain situations can actually be an intention to rob you. For instance they see a woman alone, do a bumper tap, and when she gets out to survey the damage thugs jump her to take her purse.

I have not read through the entire thread, but some are saying this story has been framed in a way to make it sound like the woman was just an innocent victim, yet she is responsible for the incident

Old 02-19-2015, 06:59 AM

15,385 posts, read 8,684,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
Agree. She must have taken this opportunity and when home explain young trainee that see this is what happens when you get involved in road rage so learn a lesson and make sure you never ever get involved in another road rage- make it first and last. Instead she asked her to wake up 22 year old and ask him to bring the gun down - we'll teach this road rage bully a lesson! What does the young trainee learn from this?
This whole family seems suspect. Who "teaches" their 15-year-old daughter, who doesn't have a learners permit, to drive at night?

I'm guessing we'll see drugs enter into the equation before it's over.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:50 AM

95 posts, read 141,207 times
Don't know for sure if it's still up or not, but has anyone seen what the husband has been posting on facebook the last couple of days? He doesn't appear broken-up, or in mourning at all!!!
That's just weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or