U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2015, 10:52 AM

11,604 posts, read 17,597,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Even the gun rights advocates are distancing themselves from these people.

Bearing ArmsLOOK FOR TROUBLE AND YOU'LL FIND IT: The Preventable Death of Tammy Myers. - Bearing Arms
As a concealed carry permit holder, her and her son's behavior was totally unacceptable. We are taught as permit owners to go above and beyond to purposely avoid conflict, to de-escalate situations like this, to an extent that exceeds non-weapons carriers. That was part of my training and part of our responsibility.
This does indeed give the legitimate gun owning community a bad name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 11:43 AM

13,048 posts, read 12,559,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runzwithsizorz View Post
Don't know for sure if it's still up or not, but has anyone seen what the husband has been posting on facebook the last couple of days? He doesn't appear broken-up, or in mourning at all!!!
That's just weird.
The dude was apparently an avowed Fox News fan until they expressed doubt about his family's behavior. It explains so so so much.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:46 AM

88 posts, read 83,745 times
This is just speculation. Maybe this was a turf issue. The incident occurred at 11:30 PM. The mom possibly teaching the youngest daughter the different drop off locations. I took into consideration the mom being a nurse, the mom using a minor so even if arrested a minor she would only get a slap on the wrist and further the 22 year old son with a hand gun.

Maybe the mom should not have been invading the other turf leading to the verbal altercation or maybe the other party was doing the invading. So she decides to drop off the daughter and then get the muscle/son with the gun to show that invading my turf does not happen.

I am only saying. The mom appears to be the aggressor.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:03 PM

10,005 posts, read 5,814,378 times
All these twists and speculation, sometimes nice white bread suburban families hide dark secrets. At this point - better call Saul.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:07 PM

12,931 posts, read 10,877,419 times
What a shocking turn of events!
Really, so different from the original story ...it is amazing!

And I'm sorry...could someone say again what section, as in North East
or what this was in...I don't know names of areas
just North West type descriptions.
Thanks

Old 02-19-2015, 12:19 PM

792 posts, read 1,062,496 times
Back in the day, at the risk of wickedly dating myself, there was a time when obtaining a CCW was a much different process...back then they referred to them as "pistol permits".

At that time, prior to even lawfully owning or possessing any handgun it was required that a "pistol permit" be obtained...and the vetting process was no simple task !

It began with a lengthy application process that basically required your life history, five personal character references, finger prints and a statement from the applicant as to why they felt they needed to obtain said permit. Using the excuse "personal protection" was an almost guaranteed denial as it suggested the potential owner may somehow sense the need to utilize a firearm to protect themselves from a real or imagined threat.

After 6-8 months, after the applicant was fully vetted, they then had to personally appear before a District Court Judge who then interviewed the applicant and rendered the final decision.

One of the character references required was the chief law enforcement officer of the exact location of your residence. That reference was based on background, reputation, any previous interaction etc.

It was a very lengthy, drawn out process and more than one person got to the final interview only to be ultimately denied for various reasons...

Over time things have changed...having a CCW almost became a "status" thing...and they began issuing them simply because the law said they could not deny without justifiable cause.

I am a supporter of the Second Amendment, however I have absolutely no problem with the way things were done back in the day....Issuance of that "permit" was then considered a privilege...the world and market was not flooded with handguns, and people were held accountable. The holder had to prove proficiency with every weapon he or she carried on that permit....not as it is done today !

I have personally witnessed several instances where current CCW holders have literally scared the bejesus out of me...either thru reckless handling or simple basic lack of knowledge.

If the statements as reported are accurate regarding the son of this victim, he has absolutely no business owning or possessing any firearm IMO...that my friends is an accident waiting to happen ! Having a "legally registered" handgun means very little in the scope of things...

I am sure my comment will not be accepted well by some...I am not an "anti-gunner"...I am not a "pro-gunner"...I am just a person that respects the extreme responsibility that goes hand in hand with owning, an/or carrying a potential deadly weapon. The old days weren't all that bad...enuf said !

Old 02-19-2015, 12:59 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,224,675 times
New tidbit this morning. Son had a road rage run in with a pedestrian last summer. Claimed he wanted to get out and pound the guy but gf drove away. From his facebook page.

Someone asked where this is all going down. It is in Las Vegas in a neighborhood on the border between what is called the NW and the SW. Basically a low middle to mid middle class neighborhood. Not a sketchy neighborhood but not nearby Summerlin or Pecole Ranch either.

Very unlikely place for drug activity.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:12 PM

73,258 posts, read 64,833,652 times
Why was this billed as a "mom teaching daughter to drive" incident in the first place? Who teaches a kid to drive after 10 p.m.? Why wasn't her daughter getting ready for bed at that hour? And someone here posted the daughter didn't even have a learner's permit? It sounds like the daughter was just a cover for something else. If it's true at all that the mom was teaching her daughter to drive, she was committing an illegal act in so doing, teaching someone without a learner's permit to drive. So right there, we know the mom has no concern for the law and exercises very poor judgment. More bad judgment in deciding to go out for driving instruction late at night. IF the driving-instruction part of the story is even true.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:32 PM

7,885 posts, read 5,502,579 times
Rest in peace to the dear lady and hopefully the shooter will turn himself in and face the consequences. That being said, it sounds like this is ghetto stuff what transpired.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:54 PM

32,238 posts, read 39,504,706 times
Yet another update tidbit:

https://gma.yahoo.com/las-vegas-road...opstories.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or