U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-15-2015, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,142 posts, read 8,444,848 times
Reputation: 7702

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
It was not a hit and run--it was run from a threat after a hit. Many claim that this issue is caused by a change of the law in Las Vegas. Police no longer respond to property-damage-only accidents. The drivers are supposed to stop and exchange information.

In addition, apparently a lot of residents of the Las Vegas area own guns and often wield them in traffic if someone dares honk at them.

So you have a perfect storm--the police do not respond to accidents and take reports, leaving it to those in the accident to settle among themselves, combined with a well-armed population. The guys followed her and had her address. They did not need to shoot. If the woman already was threatened by them, she probably felt the need for her son to protect them.

"When his wife pulled over after the crash, there was a confrontation and at least one of the three people from the other car threatened her, Meyers said. Sensing danger, Tammy Meyers got back into her vehicle and drove away from the scene, police said. The other vehicle followed Meyers and her daughter back to the family’s house, in the 7900 block of Mt. Shasta Circle."

Mother of four shot in road-rage incident dies | Las Vegas Review-Journal

Metro to quit responding to minor traffic accidents beginning March 3 - Las Vegas Sun News
I love how this is the only reference to her son shooting at the vehicle in the article. "The vehicle is described as a four-door gray or silver sedan with possible damage to the front driver’s side and possible gunshot damage, police said."

Oh we don't want to report on how the other vehicle got the "possible gunshot damage", because that would make the story less sensational. The rightwing American news media at its finest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-15-2015, 01:06 PM
 
17,336 posts, read 14,859,212 times
Reputation: 32945
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
You have to read all the news articles to start to piece together what happened. Pay particular attention to published pictures of her car with sideswipe damage to the passenger door. It would seem that she sideswiped another vehicle and left the scene. That was her first mistake. If she was really in fear of the other driver she should have driven to a police station to report the accident. Instead she decided to drive home and let her son take care of the matter with a gun.

I have a very hard time having sympathy for someone who conducts themselves like that.
All the articles I read said she pulled over, got out of the car, and one of the guys in the other guy started threatening her, so she became afraid, got back in her car and drove away. I would have too, if only to protect my daughter. She should have driven to the cops, yes, but who knows where that was, how far, etc...if her home was close, it's not far fetched that she just drove to where she felt safe, where her son was who could protect them. If you have any source that says she hit and run, please post it, as I looked after the other poster said this and was unable to find any confirmation of that while there are many articles confirming she did stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2015, 01:13 PM
 
12,973 posts, read 12,156,757 times
Reputation: 5398
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I love how this is the only reference to her son shooting at the vehicle in the article. "The vehicle is described as a four-door gray or silver sedan with possible damage to the front driverís side and possible gunshot damage, police said."

Oh we don't want to report on how the other vehicle got the "possible gunshot damage", because that would make the story less sensational. The rightwing American news media at its finest.
It is clearly reported in the news that the son fired on the silver vehicle. From the earliest reports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2015, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,142 posts, read 8,444,848 times
Reputation: 7702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It had nothing to do with the daughter, though. It's more like; if you're going to be a reckless driver, you may find yourself having to answer to the irate driver you sideswiped.
That should be rule #1 for how to avoid road rage incidents. Drive defensively and don't come in contact with other vehicles, or **** off other drivers and you probably won't be the victim of road rage.

Unfortunately this woman was teaching her daughter to drive, and it appears that she was a less then competent driver herself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2015, 01:30 PM
 
12,973 posts, read 12,156,757 times
Reputation: 5398
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
That should be rule #1 for how to avoid road rage incidents. Drive defensively and don't come in contact with other vehicles, or **** off other drivers and you probably won't be the victim of road rage.

Unfortunately this woman was teaching her daughter to drive, and it appears that she was a less then competent driver herself.
The damage present does not indicate fault. I would suggest there is no way to tell unless someone publishes a detail on the collision. Could happen if the thing gets big play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2015, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,142 posts, read 8,444,848 times
Reputation: 7702
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
All the articles I read said she pulled over, got out of the car, and one of the guys in the other guy started threatening her, so she became afraid, got back in her car and drove away. I would have too, if only to protect my daughter. She should have driven to the cops, yes, but who knows where that was, how far, etc...if her home was close, it's not far fetched that she just drove to where she felt safe, where her son was who could protect them. If you have any source that says she hit and run, please post it, as I looked after the other poster said this and was unable to find any confirmation of that while there are many articles confirming she did stop.
This is the relevant Nevada law. She did not follow the law. That is hit and run.

NRS 484E.020  Duty to stop at scene of accident involving damage to vehicle or property.  The driver of any vehicle involved in an accident resulting only in damage to a vehicle or other property which is driven or attended by any person shall:
1.  Immediately stop his or her vehicle at the scene of the accident; and
2.  As soon as reasonably practicable, if the driverís vehicle is obstructing traffic and can be moved safely, move the vehicle or cause the vehicle to be moved to a location as close thereto as possible that does not obstruct traffic and return to and remain at the scene of the accident until the driver has fulfilled the requirements of NRS 484E.030.
(Added to NRS by 1969, 1483; A 1997, 2798; 2007, 77)ó(Substituted in revision for NRS 484.221)

NRS 484E.030  Duty to give information and render aid.
1.  The driver of any vehicle involved in an accident resulting in injury to or death of any person or damage to any vehicle or other property which is driven or attended by any person shall:
(a) Give his or her name, address and the registration number of the vehicle the driver is driving, and shall upon request and if available exhibit his or her license to operate a motor vehicle to any person injured in such accident or to the driver or occupant of or person attending any vehicle or other property damaged in such accident;

(b) Give such information and upon request manually surrender such license to any police officer at the scene of the accident or who is investigating the accident; and
(c) Render to any person injured in such accident reasonable assistance, including the carrying, or the making of arrangements for the carrying, of such person to a physician, surgeon or hospital for medical or surgical treatment if it is apparent that such treatment is necessary, or if such carrying is requested by the injured person.
2.  If no police officer is present, the driver of any vehicle involved in such accident after fulfilling all other requirements of subsection 1 and NRS 484E.010, insofar as possible on his or her part to be performed, shall forthwith report such accident to the nearest office of a police authority or of the Nevada Highway Patrol and submit thereto the information specified in subsection 1.

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-...#NRS484ESec020
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2015, 02:00 PM
 
12,973 posts, read 12,156,757 times
Reputation: 5398
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
This is the relevant Nevada law. She did not follow the law. That is hit and run.

NRS 484E.020  Duty to stop at scene of accident involving damage to vehicle or property.  The driver of any vehicle involved in an accident resulting only in damage to a vehicle or other property which is driven or attended by any person shall:
1.  Immediately stop his or her vehicle at the scene of the accident; and
2.  As soon as reasonably practicable, if the driverís vehicle is obstructing traffic and can be moved safely, move the vehicle or cause the vehicle to be moved to a location as close thereto as possible that does not obstruct traffic and return to and remain at the scene of the accident until the driver has fulfilled the requirements of NRS 484E.030.
(Added to NRS by 1969, 1483; A 1997, 2798; 2007, 77)ó(Substituted in revision for NRS 484.221)

NRS 484E.030  Duty to give information and render aid.
1.  The driver of any vehicle involved in an accident resulting in injury to or death of any person or damage to any vehicle or other property which is driven or attended by any person shall:
(a) Give his or her name, address and the registration number of the vehicle the driver is driving, and shall upon request and if available exhibit his or her license to operate a motor vehicle to any person injured in such accident or to the driver or occupant of or person attending any vehicle or other property damaged in such accident;

(b) Give such information and upon request manually surrender such license to any police officer at the scene of the accident or who is investigating the accident; and
(c) Render to any person injured in such accident reasonable assistance, including the carrying, or the making of arrangements for the carrying, of such person to a physician, surgeon or hospital for medical or surgical treatment if it is apparent that such treatment is necessary, or if such carrying is requested by the injured person.
2.  If no police officer is present, the driver of any vehicle involved in such accident after fulfilling all other requirements of subsection 1 and NRS 484E.010, insofar as possible on his or her part to be performed, shall forthwith report such accident to the nearest office of a police authority or of the Nevada Highway Patrol and submit thereto the information specified in subsection 1.

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-...#NRS484ESec020
YOu have no way of telling whether she did or did not. There was a conversation she owed name address and registration number. Whether that got delivered or not is not knowable from present reports.

Further one has a right to remove oneself from danger regardless of any such laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2015, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,142 posts, read 8,444,848 times
Reputation: 7702
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
The damage present does not indicate fault. I would suggest there is no way to tell unless someone publishes a detail on the collision. Could happen if the thing gets big play.
Driving defensively has nothing to do with fault. It has to do with deliberately driving in such a way as to avoid any accidents. If you avoid an accident, then you don't need to communicate with an other pissed off driver. Unfortunately not many people there days practice defensive driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2015, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,142 posts, read 8,444,848 times
Reputation: 7702
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
YOu have no way of telling whether she did or did not. There was a conversation she owed name address and registration number. Whether that got delivered or not is not knowable from present reports.

Further one has a right to remove oneself from danger regardless of any such laws.
Then hit and run laws are pretty much worthless. Since stopping after any accident, could potentially be a dangerous situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2015, 02:17 PM
 
Location: FLG/PHX/MKE
7,289 posts, read 12,887,155 times
Reputation: 11529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post

In addition, apparently a lot of residents of the Las Vegas area own guns and often wield them in traffic if someone dares honk at them.
Oh, they often wield them in traffic? You know this how?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top