Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 10:33 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
You sure like to make assumptions. I have not condemned all hunters as you seem to be accusing me by using my post in your quote. As far as whether or not this one hunter was guilty of carelessness, it's up to the court to decide.

I guess you must live in a lovely big home isolated high on a hill making judgments of other people while you clean your high powered weapons but as for me, I have never lived in a condo in a gated community. I never ate at a Tony Romas whatever that is but apparently you have since you are familiar with it and enjoy your steaks there. Good for you.

I have seen coyotes, mountain lions and wolves up close, as close as was safe, first hand in their natural habitat. I don't need your guidance. I wouldn't trust it anyway, you don't sound like someone who would be safe in a wilderness environment. You are far to quick to fly off the handle and make snap judgments; a very bad trait in a situation where someone is potentially dealing with wild creatures.

So you seem to be saying that it's okay for this hunter to kill this wolf because it could have potentially killed a foaling mare. Maybe you want to kill every thing that potentially can kill everything else? You contradict yourself saying ranchers you know allow a certain amount of predators but when it gets to be too many they will hunt the predators. But then you defend the killing of one lone female wolf who does not even have a mate let alone a belong to a pack. One lone predator who was no where near killing any pregnant mares or any other livestock. I wonder how many ranchers you do know. See, I can make assumptions and jump to conclusions too.

I am not and have not been talking about all hunters. Only this one hunter. However, if this one situation brings out some kind of guilt in you that you feel you have to read more into what I have said and you must take it personally, that's your problem.
You can infer whatever you like. And no, I don't take things , personally, on here, nor was my intent to be personal with you. We differ, vastly, in our view of wildlife, is all. Though you did attack my character.personally, I'm not holding that up as ammunition. Perhaps you felt ...slighted. Not my intention, but that water past the sandbar.

My first, face on, encounter with a thrill killing predator, I was 10. You bet I was panicked and jittery. But I was with VERY experienced men, and I took away some valuable lessons. After I changed my underwear. One of those lessons was, DONT panic. Control the adreniline. Turn it to something else. Easier said than done. Takes practice. 9

But, my motivation to take all this to heart, came from the aftermath of predator attacks on stock. My first experience was with a cat. A pen full of pregnant ewe sheep, killed to the last head, nothing but the milk bags eaten. The foaling mare, now, that was coyotes. The foal was eaten as it was birthed. Helluva way to come in, and go back out, simultaneously. They didn't touch the mare. Why should they? Tender vittles, wrapped in afterbirth. Coyote culinary heaven.

(Sigh) I'm not the one jumping to conclusions here. But, I will admit to some ...emotional..influence, in my earlier post. Just as you did with this one. Fair enough. I'll call it even. Though, I doubt you will. Just so we're clear, I'm NOT backing down, from my position, and my...platitudes..such as they were, are not an invitation to attack, because I'm talking from any position of weakness. I'm not. I live and have lived, all my life, with the realities of predation.

Stock loss to predators IS expected, and yes, TOLERATED, to a point. That is NOT a contradiction, it is a reality. Its simple math, really. If you have 50 head in an area, and three have been killed, in as many days, some critter has to go. Same number, same area, one or two, lost in a month, is tolerable, but bears watching, and if you SEE the cat, or the yotes, prudence dictates impressing on them their welcome is worn thin, and no invitation is extended.

Though I intended no personal slight to you, and I do hope this clarifies my views, I stand by my position, with regret for any...misunderstanding. You may choose to ignore that ...acquiescence. Most, with a view such as yours, do. In favor of viewing such as a sign of weakness. I assure you, I speak from high ground. And won't move off it.

Last edited by NVplumber; 02-18-2015 at 11:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 06:49 AM

35,065 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Stock loss to predators IS expected, and yes, TOLERATED, to a point. That is NOT a contradiction, it is a reality. Its simple math, really. If you have 50 head in an area, and three have been killed, in as many days, some critter has to go. Same number, same area, one or two, lost in a month, is tolerable, but bears watching, and if you SEE the cat, or the yotes, prudence dictates impressing on them their welcome is worn thin, and no invitation is extended.

Though I intended no personal slight to you, and I do hope this clarifies my views, I stand by my position, with regret for any...misunderstanding. You may choose to ignore that ...acquiescence. Most, with a view such as yours, do. In favor of viewing such as a sign of weakness. I assure you, I speak from high ground. And won't move off it.
I agree. I also believe that predators should never lose their fear of man. We should allow wolf populations to restore. Wolves and coyotes, though, are not another breed of dog. Their fear of man should be reinforced, over and over again. Ditto mountain lions and bears.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:05 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,414,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
If you want to be a sporty and manly hunter, why not be a real man and use simple weapons, or even just your hands and teeth? Why use modern technology to help you feel like a macho man? A real tough guy hiding behind his high power rifle with a scope whatever; any weakling can do that and it proves nothing except that you have technology, which isn't all that manly, is it?. Go track down a wolf and kill it with your bare hand if you want to prove your macho manhood. Otherwise, you're just a fat guy with a beer gut who's trying too hard. Not manly or sporty.
If you want to be a manly meat eater why not be a real man and chop down a tree and cook it over a fire in your backyard? A real tough guy using modern farming systems to slaughter his meat for him, which isnt all that manly, is it?

Old 09-09-2015, 07:09 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
If you want to be a manly meat eater why not be a real man and chop down a tree and cook it over a fire in your backyard? A real tough guy using modern farming systems to slaughter his meat for him, which isnt all that manly, is it?
Some of these posters are completely clueless how their food is grown, raised or processed. I saw a bunch of kids at the beach with life jackets on. The adviser said these kids lived in S E San Diego and had never been to the beach before.

They literally live within 10 miles of the beach and had never been there before. I was amazed but now I know that people can be completely cut off from their surrounding because they go to school/work , go home, lather, rinse, repeat. Or don't work and never leave the house.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:20 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I agree. I also believe that predators should never lose their fear of man. We should allow wolf populations to restore. Wolves and coyotes, though, are not another breed of dog. Their fear of man should be reinforced, over and over again. Ditto mountain lions and bears.
DNR - Wolf - Dog Conflict

This is why wolves in Michigan are shot on sight.

We shoot and shovel and shut up. SSS

Bear season opens 9-15-15.

It also will be wolf season.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:26 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
This is probably a case of shoot, shovel and shut up. It is part of the culture of the West to resist the reintroduction of wolves. Hopefully the reintroduction won't be snuffed out. The wolves are quite necessary for the ecosystem.
Yeah right... It's just sooo lovely what that has done to the Elk and Deer herds in MT where the poor little wolves were reintroduced and EXPLODED in population and kill just to kill.
I fully support the 3 SSS's.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:54 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I suppose many people can't tell the difference between the two animals but if you are going to hunt something, you should at least be familiar with what you are hunting so you don't kill something else by mistake.

Grand Canyon's first grey wolf in 70 years killed by coyote hunter | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building

I don't have anything against hunting, but they do belong there and were until we hunted them almost to death of entires species. I'd like to see the balance of nature returned.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:01 AM

2,526 posts, read 1,594,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingIL View Post
Guess that sucks but Animals don't really have rights though.
Yeah … Just kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out ...

Old 09-09-2015, 08:03 AM

2,526 posts, read 1,594,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post

I don't have anything against hunting, but they do belong there and were until we hunted them almost to death of entires species. I'd like to see the balance of nature returned.
In a healthy ecosystem, the top predators even populations out ...

Old 09-09-2015, 08:03 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
If you want to be a sporty and manly hunter, why not be a real man and use simple weapons, or even just your hands and teeth? Why use modern technology to help you feel like a macho man? A real tough guy hiding behind his high power rifle with a scope whatever; any weakling can do that and it proves nothing except that you have technology, which isn't all that manly, is it?. Go track down a wolf and kill it with your bare hand if you want to prove your macho manhood. Otherwise, you're just a fat guy with a beer gut who's trying too hard. Not manly or sporty.
Your cultural intolerance is noted. Thanks for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events