U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 08:12 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,731,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But why would the whales even be in the ark? The Earth was flooded with WATER, so wouldn't the whales just be in the water? The ark would have been for those animals who couldn't live in water for 40 days and needed a dry place to live...

Do Mormons Believe In Dinosaurs? | Mormon Church Beliefs

What? I don't know any Christian who believes that hte Earth is LITERALLY 6,000 years old nor do they believe that the 7 days of creation was literally 7 days. Its the STORY of Creation, because its just a story, not the actual truth.
the mainline protestant denominations and catholics don't believe in biblical literalism, but the fundamentalists and evangelicals do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 08:49 PM

48,897 posts, read 39,392,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Thing is that superstition and ignorance can be a dangerous thing. It can cost lives, hold the progress of science up, it can inspire atrocities, or at least help facilitate them (respect one myth, you have to respect them all). It does us all a disservice, since it enables the often two steps back of unsettled progress.
Religion has both brought and impeded progress.

I could write for pages but just in terms of something you might understand, the anti-slavery and civil rights movements were rooted in the church.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
'intolerance'?

Here's the thing:
I have zero tolerance for gutting high school biology curricula because someone someone thinks it doesn't jibe with their ancient book. Zero.

And that is precisely what fundamentalists do, endlessly, in district after district nationwide.

That is, of course, when they're not busy ensuring that more teen pregnancies happen and more people get STDs by peddling their idiotic 'abstinence-only' notions, or when they're not demanding that only heterosexuals are allowed to marry consenting adults of the gender to which they're naturally attracted, or when they're not ensuring that their state doesn't allow terminally-ill people to peacefully end their suffering in cooperation with their physician, or whatever control they're bent on exerting over everyone else on a given day.

But at least they're not 'pretentious'...

Me? I'll take the 'pretentious jerk' who isn't constantly demanding laws that make everyone else obey their own religious notions.
They have a right to their views as much as I largely disagree with them.

In fact, I support opposing them on many of those topics.

However, I don't label ALL Christians that way due to the fundys.

I view these threads no different than the racist threads in other forums where "black people" (generalization) are criminals etc.

Anytime your thread sounds like a rant that some stormfronter might make about some ethnicity, you should consider a pause for reflection.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
I at least included some rolling eyes.

If you are/were being sarcastic, than my apologies, it's hard to pick up over type.

If you are serious. . .well, I just hope you aren't serious.
Maybe read my second sentence.

If you require an emoticon to determine my intent after reading that then....I can just hope you weren't being serious in your last post.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:25 PM

2,266 posts, read 1,373,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Religion has both brought and impeded progress.

I could write for pages but just in terms of something you might understand, the anti-slavery and civil rights movements were rooted in the church.
I absolutely agree - but now we've moved on.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:16 PM

6,044 posts, read 3,634,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But why would the whales even be in the ark? The Earth was flooded with WATER, so wouldn't the whales just be in the water? The ark would have been for those animals who couldn't live in water for 40 days and needed a dry place to live...
The sea level would have had to rise around 750 feet a day for 40 days in order to cover the entire earth.

An impossibility.

And at about 30,000 ft (to include Mt Everest), everyone on the ark including the animals would have died due to lack of oxygen,

Last edited by Weichert; 02-17-2015 at 10:32 PM..

Old 02-17-2015, 10:45 PM

11,023 posts, read 6,574,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
The sea level would have had to rise around 750 feet a day for 40 days in order to cover the entire earth.

An impossibility.
It rained really hard!

Noah 's Ark is mostly just a symbolic story. Did the whole world flood? No. Did Noah built an ark large enough to house 2 of every creature on earth? No. But could there have been a man named Noah who built an ark to save his family and his domesticated animals From a large flood? No reason why that couldn't have happened. Some symbolism about Satan, sin, the Holy Spirit, and God's love is thrown into the basic narrative and we get the story of Noah 's Ark that is in the Bible.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:50 PM

10,232 posts, read 4,116,437 times

Old 02-17-2015, 10:58 PM

758 posts, read 581,996 times
Exclamation Christians Never Leave People Alone:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longslim View Post
I really hope this was a joke. but it does not seem so.

Christian group to schools: Stop filling kids' heads with dinosaurs - CNET
Christians, never leave people alone. Instead they brain wash with corrupt fairy tales.
"Stop filling kids' heads with dinosaurs"?! Pot, haven't you met Kettle?! I don't care who anybody is or what anybody believes in, as long as they respect others beliefs and Christians are not perfect, not matter what they say.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:00 PM

11,023 posts, read 6,574,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
So if they believe that creationism it's a story, why do they accept it and reject science?
They don't. Even the Pope accepts the theory of evolution and the big bang theory.

Quote:
“The Big Bang, which today we hold to be the origin of the world, does not contradict the intervention of the divine creator but, rather, requires it. . .
“God is not a divine being or a magician, but the Creator who brought everything to life. . .
“Evolution in nature is not inconsistent with the notion of creation, because evolution requires the creation of beings that evolve.”
Just because a few believe something, doesn't mean all Christians believe the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or