Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 07:50 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
What has this got to do with liberals and Obama? If there were Liberals who believed in creationist nonsense then they would be equally ridiculed. I don't get why people who aren't in politics hve to side with 'their' party on everything? Why not take the best policies of each?
Oh trust me the GOP is NOT "my party". There are also dangerous Progressives in that party, albeit they're just smaller and slower.

The reason it's political is that the ONLY REASON people have to justify trashing Christians is the claim that they infringe on their RIGHTS.

Which is why the Progressive central planners since the beginning of time have used religion as a foil. THIS administration included.

Replace the religion(s) of tradition with the religion of GOVERNMENT. It's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of fact. We can all agree to disagree on big government versus small. But there can be NO disagreement that Progressives have always tried to crush religion as part of their platform. Which is funny because that makes the Islamic State much closer to Progressive Liberals than "the Christians".

Or haven't you seen Life of Julia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 08:12 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,593,888 times
They aren't trashing all Christians, they are trashing the creationists who are trying to ban the teaching of proven facts because it hurts their silly little story.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:20 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,300,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I have never known a Christian who doesn't believe that the Earth is literally 6,000 years old. Not one.
Funny, I don't know a single Christian who DOES believe that the Earth is literally 6,000 years old. Not one.

I've attended Christian churches everyplace I've lived (CA, HI, NY, CT, NJ & NV) and gone to church when I've traveled in many more states.

Never met a one.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:12 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwinds View Post
Nuclear reactors have shields of water and lead that stop neutrons and cosmic ray particles. If they weren't shielded, no one could be within miles of them.

A firmament of water and ice would be transparent - one could see the stars and the moon at night and the sun at day - but it would block almost all damaging particles from hitting the earth's surface. Some neutrinos would get through, but the rate of formation of radionuclide's would be almost nil compared to today. When the firmament was lost, C-14 levels quickly rose from almost nothing and then reaches an equilibrium over time.

There was a very gentle topography before the flood. All the continental drift that occurred was massive: continents collided or were pushed upward when they met an opposing force. Mountains came about because of this great cataclysmic event. Volcanoes greatly increased.

Tsunami waves are barely felt on a ark in the ocean.

Polar regions such as the North Slope have tropical trees in its permafrost. That can not happen unless something very sudden happened on the earth.

Noah was perhaps the most God-fearing and kindest man who had ever lived up to that time. But even he could hardly bear what the earth had become: cold, windy, seasons, pestilence, biting and poisonous bugs, carnivores, having to eat meat which he never did before. He consoled himself by growing a grape orchard, making wine, and getting drunk. The changes were more than he thought he could bear. If we were ejected from a paradise world and into an alien forbidding one, what would we do?

The Christian God creates things to confound the "wise". This thread confirms that.

As none of this is in any science book could you please provide the Bible passages for plate tectonics and the description of the topography of pre flood earth. You also stated that quantum mechanics and I think gravity were mentioned in the Bible, again passages would be helpful.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:03 PM

919 posts, read 848,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Good point. Christians are so used to being stepped on they assume the doormat position. Jesus wasn't a doormat. We're just frogs in a frying pan. Maybe we need a strong leader to follow. Not sure. I don't have an answer to your question.
^ Proof that Christians love to play martyrs. It allows them to assume a superior moral position without any real effort.
Far from being stepped on, Christians (in USA) do a lot of the stepping.
Example - the judge who wanted 10 commandments in the courthouse. I am not a Christian and while I believe in most of them (except the obnoxious ones) I don't think I will get bias-free justice in such a place. Not to mention the violation of church and state.
Then there is the persecution of gay people who want to marry. Utah Christians funded California Prop 8 campaign and got away with circumscribing others' rights even when it did not affect them whatsoever.
So puh-leeze, don't feed me that line.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:49 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,626,379 times
Threads like these are utterly hysterical. We have christian fundamentalists telling us that the entire planet was once surrounded by a shell of ice that somehow orbited around the Earth without melting or shattering from tidal forces, nuclear reactors emit cosmic radiation, anteaters used to be vegetarians and then magically became omnivores, nitrogen somehow magically turns into carbon 14, mountain ranges were somehow pushed up 6 miles by floodwaters, and it never ever rained before Noah's flood.

And then when you mention that humans are primates, you get "Oh, no, you don't - the science behind that just isn't proven."

And they wonder why people make fun of them.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:03 PM

746 posts, read 1,728,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Threads like these are utterly hysterical. We have christian fundamentalists telling us that the entire planet was once surrounded by a shell of ice that somehow orbited around the Earth without melting or shattering from tidal forces, nuclear reactors emit cosmic radiation, anteaters used to be vegetarians and then magically became omnivores, nitrogen somehow magically turns into carbon 14, mountain ranges were somehow pushed up 6 miles by floodwaters, and it never ever rained before Noah's flood.

And then when you mention that humans are primates, you get "Oh, no, you don't - the science behind that just isn't proven."

And they wonder why people make fun of them.
N-14 + gamma ray of sufficient power forms C-14, which is radioactive. Its basic nuclear physics! Happening today all the time. Nuclear reactors produce alpha, beta, neutron, and gamma rays. Cosmic rays are more powerful gamma rays that also can revert to a particle if it hits a nucleus. Simple E=mc2

You have to brush up on nuclear and basic physics.

Last edited by fourwinds; 02-19-2015 at 08:37 PM..

Old 02-19-2015, 08:09 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longslim View Post
I really hope this was a joke. but it does not seem so.

Christian group to schools: Stop filling kids' heads with dinosaurs - CNET
First of all, it should be pointed out that Young Earth Christians comprise only a very small minority of people who practice the Christian faith. The second point I'd like to make is that it makes no difference what faith or beliefs this group practices: you can't fix stupid under any circumstances.

Seriously... Why does anyone give these fools air time?

Old 02-19-2015, 08:41 PM

746 posts, read 1,728,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
As none of this is in any science book could you please provide the Bible passages for plate tectonics and the description of the topography of pre flood earth. You also stated that quantum mechanics and I think gravity were mentioned in the Bible, again passages would be helpful.
The Bible has meanings on very deep levels. Its a book that scholars can't even attempt to know completely. But its concerned first and foremost with developing a spiritual life, which many people here apparently do not want or the concept is foreign to them.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:49 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,626,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwinds View Post
The Bible has meanings on very deep levels. Its a book that scholars can't even attempt to know completely. But its concerned first and foremost with developing a spiritual life, which many people here apparently do not want or the concept is foreign to them.
Fourwinds, there are many people with deep and meaningful spiritual lives who don't have to reject basic, elementary-level science in order to believe in a god. I'm one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events