U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 07:58 AM

51,752 posts, read 41,667,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Where is the outcry of "mainstream" fundamentalist Christians against this kind of silliness?

I'm listening but I can't hear it.
Outcry?

Well, if they start shooting to death paleontologists for offending their religion perhaps there will be one. Until then, who cares?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 08:15 AM

35,127 posts, read 19,212,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Outcry?

Well, if they start shooting to death paleontologists for offending their religion perhaps there will be one. Until then, who cares?

Check out post #16.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:03 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,275,875 times
Have you ever started asking Christians basic questions about dinosaurs and the age of things?

They usually end up either giving the "God meant for it to be that way" (a.k.a. not answering the question at all) or they will get flustered and say, "don't question the power of god"...

Yet when they put crap on your car that says, "don't YOU want to be saved?" it seems they have no problems talking then.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:22 AM

5,081 posts, read 12,947,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlasphemer View Post

I think there are just some people that are born naturally, genetically "extreme", and these people are going to believe in whatever they need to in order to justify, explain, excuse or validate their own existence.
Some people could be born "genetically extreme", but I think most are just born stupid.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:38 AM

8,427 posts, read 5,775,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Some people could be born "genetically extreme", but I think most are just born stupid.

And they keep trying to convince everyone else to be as stupid as they are.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:07 AM

14,179 posts, read 11,598,436 times
Quote:
Where is the outcry of "mainstream" fundamentalist Christians against this kind of silliness?

I'm listening but I can't hear it.
OK. I'm a "mainstream Christian", but, honestly, I find such silliness beneath me. Hardly worth my time, yet, it is mildly amusing. The thing about rabid funamentalists, is, that the think they actually know what Gods Will is. They think they know what wonders Gods power has done , here on Earth. That they actually know how old Earth is, and can interpret what a being to whom time means nothing, considers as "age".

I don't ask questions of God, about things my , human mind, cannot possibly understand the answers to. Creatures of a bygone age, be that Cretaceous, Jurrasic or the mega fauna of the Pleistocene, being part of that. I just gaze upon and am fascinated by, those wonders. I love paleontology. That interest shifted from Dinosaurs to mammilian mega fauna in my teens. Though, dinos still interest me.

Yet, I am a Christian. How can this be? I just don't ask questions I can't , possibly, understand the answers to, and ponder the mystery. I don't believe these fantastic animals are all gone, either. Cryptic animals are being seen, and solid evidence of them being found. Mostly canid mammals, here in the US, but worldwide, the mystery of evolution, continues in all species, even humans.

What sort of , omnipotent, higher power, would make living things unable to adapt and evolve? So, there you go...from a "mainstream Christian".

Old 02-16-2015, 12:05 PM

51,752 posts, read 41,667,338 times
Quote:
Check out post #16.
Not following your point.

The bottom line is that they have some beliefs I don't agree with but they aren't impacting my life.

They can ask schools not to teach evolution etc. but the schools can ignore them.

Again, why should people have to denounce them, like I said, they aren't decapitating paleontologists etc.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:10 PM

28 posts, read 35,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
However, this theory has given way to the newer theory that dinosaurs did indeed roam the Earth alongside humans. They went extinct during the flood, however. Too big to fit into the ark. Who says the fundies aren't scientific?

Uhhh yeah --- they seem like rational people now.

Why couldn't they fit some of the smaller raptors inside the Ark?

Old 02-16-2015, 12:18 PM

28 posts, read 35,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I believe that, given enough time, mainstream religions will die out. There will always be religions, but not as we knew them over the years. Christianity is coming apart at the seams. Google up "Decline of Christianity" and read some articles.

Islam will destroy itself - at least I hope so. Hard to believe a "religion" such Islam will survive in a free world. Of course that is the point - keep the people captive in the same sense that North Koreans are captive.
I believe by the year 2100 both Christianity and Islam will both be dead religions, but will meet their demise in different ways.

Christianity will most likely endure a long, slow painful death. It's already heading down the toilet. Numerous studies show that church attendance is steadily declining since 1990. Most likely, the history books will name the Internet as the "Killer of Christianity" because it exposed it for the mythology it always was.

Islam will most likely meet a sudden, fiery death by nuclear annihilation by Western civilization. They seem incapable of fixing their fundamentalist problems thru internal methods, so the USA and other nations will solve that issue for them 50 megatons at a time. Who knows exactly what decade this will happen.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:19 PM

12,050 posts, read 11,123,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RektorFry985 View Post
Uhhh yeah --- they seem like rational people now.

Why couldn't they fit some of the smaller raptors inside the Ark?
The Ark was large enough to carry two of every species, but large enough for dinosaurs? Come on, now you're just being ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or