U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 01:52 PM

5,445 posts, read 4,408,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Shrug if you like, but sadly this is more than a few random people.

http://www.newsweek.com/2014/02/14/t...ce-245500.html

"Here's an un-fun experiment: the next time your kid's in the other room, sneak a peek at her science textbook. Chances are, it says evolution is just a theory and global warming is debatable.
You should know that pretty much everything concerning science is a theory. This doesn't mean that it isn't proven, it is just wording. Gravity is a theory. Think about the theory of relativity. All theories by definition, even if they are proven.
scientific theory

systematic ideational structure of broad scope, conceived by the human imagination, that encompasses a family of empirical (experiential) laws regarding regularities existing in objects and events, both observed and posited. A scientific theory is a structure suggested by these laws and is devised to explain them in a scientifically rational manner.

Scientific theory | Define Scientific theory at Dictionary.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 01:54 PM

185 posts, read 133,242 times
LOL! The Onion, that's what this is, I hope?

Old 02-17-2015, 01:58 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,281,406 times
Default He's right...it is SILLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Dinosaurs were real and the reason they died out is because there wasn't room on Noahs Ark for them.... LOL

I once worked with a Born Again Christian and he used to get pissed if someone suggested man came from apes... Silly.
He didn't believe in any of it and thought science was wrong and carbon dating was flawed.

My wife, born and raised in Ireland went to Catholic school. She would have science class then religion and the 2 would sometimes conflict. If she pointed out a conflict in religion class the answer was a whack on her arm.
Man did NOT evolve from ape; not even Africans nor other aboriginal peoples as some Euro-centrists would like to believe so they can gloat in their supposed superiority and higher intellect ... but I digress. As God's Word states man was created a human from the beginning.

If not, then continue on with your fairy tale that humans evolved from tadpoles, apes, etc. Evolution by definition doesn't reach a plateau and then stop. It continues. So why are humans only born now from another human (female)? Why aren't tadpoles or apes continuing to evolve into humans now as evolution dictates they did to get us to where we are now? What stopped them to the point that now every creature only produces after their own kind?

Hmm, it's just as the Bible states. Every seed produces its own kind. This fact can be scientifically proven. An ape becoming a human hasn't ever been proven, just theorized. God's Word is true. Evolution is baloney!

Old 02-17-2015, 02:14 PM

12,089 posts, read 5,614,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Man did NOT evolve from ape; not even Africans nor other aboriginal peoples as some Euro-centrists would like to believe so they can gloat in their supposed superiority and higher intellect ... but I digress. As God's Word states man was created a human from the beginning.

If not, then continue on with your fairy tale that humans evolved from tadpoles, apes, etc. Evolution by definition doesn't reach a plateau and then stop. It continues. So why are humans only born now from another human (female)? Why aren't tadpoles or apes continuing to evolve into humans now as evolution dictates they did to get us to where we are now? What stopped them to the point that now every creature only produces after their own kind?

Hmm, it's just as the Bible states. Every seed produces its own kind. This fact can be scientifically proven. An ape becoming a human hasn't ever been proven, just theorized. God's Word is true. Evolution is baloney!

Old 02-17-2015, 02:16 PM

48,973 posts, read 39,447,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I have never known a Christian who doesn't believe that the Earth is literally 6,000 years old. Not one. I come from a Christian family, I have lived in red states for the last 20 years and I don't know any Christian fundamentalists, and I have yet to meet a Christian who views 7 days/6,000 years as allegory. I have even heard a Republican representative state that she believed Earth is 6,000 years old during a hearing on uranium mining in Arizona, when mined uranium is found to be hundreds of millions to billions of years old. Knowing that and hearing a public official say that it a serious public forum made me cringe.

Every non-fundamentalist Christian I know also denies evolution, believe that carbon dating is false, they refuse to accept that human beings are also primates related to apes, and they believe that dinosaurs and humans existed at the same time. In other words, their belief is that if something does not to teach that everything was created by God, they are simply not trying to accept it.
I've had the opposite experience. <shrug> Might be geographical or related to peer age plus most of the Christians I associate with are more highly educated so perhaps we just are seeing different pools from the overall body.

My parents church is pretty straight laced meaning anti-gay and the older ones believe the ark thing but nobody thinks the earth is 6k years old.

P.S. Even Pat Robertson dismisses the 6k year old earth meme.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:18 PM
B87

10,824 posts, read 6,922,109 times
Quote:
Man did NOT evolve from ape
Humans are apes.

'Modern humans (Homo sapiens or Homo sapiens sapiens) are the only extant members of the hominin clade, a branch of great apes characterized by erect posture and bipedal locomotion; manual dexterity and increased tool use; and a general trend toward larger, more complex brains and societies.'

Human - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-17-2015, 02:22 PM

5,220 posts, read 1,984,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwinds View Post
The first is the fall of man through sin, which introduced death, aging, and more sin. The earth was still in a near Utopian condition everywhere.

The second is the fall of the earth from a utopia to what is is now. Seasons, rain, carnivores, accelerated aging etc were introduced onto the earth that previously hadn't experienced any of them.

N-14 + cosmic rays will form C-14, which is radioactive. Before the flood, C-14 was almost nonexistent on earth because the earth was shielded by the upper firmament of water and ice. The flood happened when sin breached the spiritual support of the firmament, which destroyed the earth as it existed the the time. Only life aboard the ark, fish, and plant seeds survived. C-14 dating is good for three thousand years back, but preflood data which show the earth was billions of years older.
C 14 dating can go back a lot farther than 3000 years as can tree ring dating (dendrachronolgy).

How did the firmament of water and ice affect incoming and outgoing solar radiation?

Old 02-17-2015, 02:32 PM

48,973 posts, read 39,447,996 times
Quote:

You think it's stopped because you can't see visible evolutionary changes from a single generation.

That's like going to the grand canyon, waking up the next day looking down at it again and saying...."see, this erosion *theory* is bunk....it's the same as it was yesterday".

If you think evolution is a tadpole growing up to be a gorilla or a pair of daschunds spontaneously giving birth to dire wolf then you might want to re-read that section of your biology text.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:37 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,733,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PasDeDeux View Post
LOL! The Onion, that's what this is, I hope?
Oh, stop behaving like this is anything new. They've been here since this great nation's beginning.

There are four groups I find funniest:

1. The people who believe Ken Ham's view of a young earth in which dinosaurs were all vegetarians.
2. The people who believe dinosaurs never existed (which I've never heard of before now).
3. The people who believe Reptilians live amongst us (Reptilians are pan-dimensional lizard people).
4. The people who believe Reptilians are actually demonically-possessed Illuminati controlling the government.

They all disagree with each other, so I think we should get a bunch of them together and give them foam clubs and watch them fight for our amusement on public television.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:38 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,376,535 times
Quote:

It's extraordinary that in the United States - one of the most developed countries in the world, so many people believe this nonsense - I'm not referring solely to the rejection of Evolution - but the whole bloody religious claptrap. Where does that come from? the Puritans were all a very long time ago. Most of the rest of the developed world has moved on - the ridiculous myths of religion (at least in a way much more than old fashioned social convention) discarded in the proverbial bin. The fact that religious superstition gabbles on about people walking on water, virgins giving birth etc. and the person cited uses the term 'fairy tale' is a particular irony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or