Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 08:25 AM

24,317 posts, read 17,052,422 times

Advertisements

Dinosaurs were real and the reason they died out is because there wasn't room on Noahs Ark for them.... LOL

I once worked with a Born Again Christian and he used to get pissed if someone suggested man came from apes... Silly.
He didn't believe in any of it and thought science was wrong and carbon dating was flawed.

My wife, born and raised in Ireland went to Catholic school. She would have science class then religion and the 2 would sometimes conflict. If she pointed out a conflict in religion class the answer was a whack on her arm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 08:44 AM

78,009 posts, read 60,193,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
The reason Christians have a thing against dinosaurs is because their existence disproves the Biblical theory that the Earth is only 6,000+ years old. Dinosaurs existed hundreds of millions of years ago, the elements of the Earth are billions of years old and modern humans are at least a couple of hundred thousand years old.

Given that life on Earth, along with the Earth itself pre-dates the Bible's creation dates by hundreds of thousands to billions of years, this means that the Bible is a lie at best or that the "Creator" god Christians believe in is non-existent at worst.

Science basically proves the Bible to be an outright lie, so Christians don't want to accept it.
No, not at all.

What you have is a fairly small Christian faction that literally interprets a version of the bible that has gone through multiple translations so that they go and count up the "days" and voila....6000ish years.

The vast majority of Christians recognize that the 7 days to create the heavens and the earths etc. really aren't days as in earth rotations and as such things are really billions of years old.

Basically, you are using extremely poor logic by pointing to a groups INTERPRETATION as proof that the source document is bunk.

Kinda like if I have some idiot read the US constitution, mangle the interpretation of some sections and then go "ah ha! The US constitution is garbage." Solely because someone is not understanding it or has a bizarre view of part of it.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:55 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,649,774 times
This is a fascinating thread. Now may we get some comments on the "don't teach our kids about dinosaurs" from a Mormon or two? Or a Muslim?

Old 02-17-2015, 09:06 AM

78,009 posts, read 60,193,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
This is a fascinating thread. Now may we get some comments on the "don't teach our kids about dinosaurs" from a Mormon or two? Or a Muslim?
Don't forget, this is a really critical discussion because a teeny tiny group asked a school not to teach about dinos etc. and are being ignored.

I put this topic right up there in importance with a handful of vegans demanding a school no longer serve meat.

Or someone complaining that prom is exclusive to alternative gender identities.

Etc. etc. etc. someone is always complaining about something.

<shrug>

Old 02-17-2015, 09:15 AM

50,441 posts, read 36,095,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Don't forget, this is a really critical discussion because a teeny tiny group asked a school not to teach about dinos etc. and are being ignored.

I put this topic right up there in importance with a handful of vegans demanding a school no longer serve meat.

Or someone complaining that prom is exclusive to alternative gender identities.

Etc. etc. etc. someone is always complaining about something.

<shrug>
Shrug if you like, but sadly this is more than a few random people.

http://www.newsweek.com/2014/02/14/t...ce-245500.html

"Here's an un-fun experiment: the next time your kid's in the other room, sneak a peek at her science textbook. Chances are, it says evolution is just a theory and global warming is debatable. If you're living in Louisiana or Tennessee, you may also want to check out what your kids' teachers are discussing in class: Teachers in those states are now allowed to teach creationism along with evolution and to argue both sides of global warming - even over the objections of their school principals and superintendents.
In 2013, nine anti-science bills were introduced in seven states, and legislators nationwide have filed about 50 bills in the past 10 years declaring evolution a "controversial" idea whose opposing side, creationism, must be taught in the interest of academic freedom"

Texas science textbooks: Creationists try to remove evolution from classrooms.

"In 2009, the Texas state Board of Education adopted new science standards
. The standards presented to the board had been written by a group of scientists and educators, and the proposal covered evolution fully. More than 50 science organizations endorsed the original standards, but creationists successfully amended them. Now the standards include loopholes that allow evolution to be attacked and creationism to be snuck into public school classrooms."

Old 02-17-2015, 09:32 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,203,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
No, not at all.

What you have is a fairly small Christian faction that literally interprets a version of the bible that has gone through multiple translations so that they go and count up the "days" and voila....6000ish years.

The vast majority of Christians recognize that the 7 days to create the heavens and the earths etc. really aren't days as in earth rotations and as such things are really billions of years old.

Basically, you are using extremely poor logic by pointing to a groups INTERPRETATION as proof that the source document is bunk.

Kinda like if I have some idiot read the US constitution, mangle the interpretation of some sections and then go "ah ha! The US constitution is garbage." Solely because someone is not understanding it or has a bizarre view of part of it.
I have never known a Christian who doesn't believe that the Earth is literally 6,000 years old. Not one. I come from a Christian family, I have lived in red states for the last 20 years and I don't know any Christian fundamentalists, and I have yet to meet a Christian who views 7 days/6,000 years as allegory. I have even heard a Republican representative state that she believed Earth is 6,000 years old during a hearing on uranium mining in Arizona, when mined uranium is found to be hundreds of millions to billions of years old. Knowing that and hearing a public official say that it a serious public forum made me cringe.

Every non-fundamentalist Christian I know also denies evolution, believe that carbon dating is false, they refuse to accept that human beings are also primates related to apes, and they believe that dinosaurs and humans existed at the same time. In other words, their belief is that if something does not to teach that everything was created by God, they are simply not trying to accept it.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:00 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,337,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I have never known a Christian who doesn't believe that the Earth is literally 6,000 years old. Not one. I come from a Christian family, I have lived in red states for the last 20 years and I don't know any Christian fundamentalists, and I have yet to meet a Christian who views 7 days/6,000 years as allegory. I have even heard a Republican representative state that she believed Earth is 6,000 years old during a hearing on uranium mining in Arizona, when mined uranium is found to be hundreds of millions to billions of years old. Knowing that and hearing a public official say that it a serious public forum made me cringe.

Every non-fundamentalist Christian I know also denies evolution, believe that carbon dating is false, they refuse to accept that human beings are also primates related to apes, and they believe that dinosaurs and humans existed at the same time. In other words, their belief is that if something does not to teach that everything was created by God, they are simply not trying to accept it.
This is disconcerting:

How does the U.S. compare with other countries in terms of belief in evolution? Not so hot. A study of attitudes in 34 countries published in Science in 2006 shows that the United States ranks last in popular acceptance of evolution except for Turkey. Almost 40 percent of Americans in this study flatly rejected evolution, whereas the comparable numbers in European countries and Japan ranged from 7 to 15 percent. That may partly reflect U.S. high school kids' dismal math and science scores relative to other developed countries, which to my mind underscores a home truth: the more you know, the less you take on faith
The Straight Dope: Nearly half the U.S. population believes the earth is less than 10,000 years old? Say it ain't so!

I'm sure the 100% of Christians denying evolution thing is just your area though. While I have met some Christians who believe humanity was created in its current form sometime in the last 10,000 years, the majority I've met find that laughable.

We have a bunch of Catholics down here though so that might have something to do with it.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:00 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,174,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlasphemer View Post
Hmm.... Christian fundamentalists, arguing over dinosaurs, Muslim fundamentalists, cutting people's heads off. Which to pay attention to... Hmm... I can't decide...
You can only have one thought in your head at all times? When you're deciding what to make for dinner do you forget that ISIS exists?

Old 02-17-2015, 12:09 PM

23,948 posts, read 32,277,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Creationists do not believe in dinosaurs. At least, the brand of Creationism I grew up with.

That has been my experience with Christian fundamentalism as well.

Incidentally, most non-fundamentalist Christians accept evolution.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:47 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,566,575 times
Default Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwinds View Post
The first is the fall of man through sin, which introduced death, aging, and more sin. The earth was still in a near Utopian condition everywhere.

The second is the fall of the earth from a utopia to what is is now. Seasons, rain, carnivores, accelerated aging etc were introduced onto the earth that previously hadn't experienced any of them.

N-14 + cosmic rays will form C-14, which is radioactive. Before the flood, C-14 was almost nonexistent on earth because the earth was shielded by the upper firmament of water and ice. The flood happened when sin breached the spiritual support of the firmament, which destroyed the earth as it existed the the time. Only life aboard the ark, fish, and plant seeds survived. C-14 dating is good for three thousand years back, but preflood data which show the earth was billions of years older.
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events