Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 04:12 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,309,203 times

Advertisements

Personally i don't think it's that important to learn about dinosaurs in school. I don't remember spending very much time on that topic in school. There are more important things to learn about, like math. However, I doubt that is the point this Christian mom was trying to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 05:32 PM

78,333 posts, read 60,527,398 times
As much as I don't agree with some of the views on evolution, I might actually be more disturbed by the intolerance and abuse being thrown onto religious people in general and not just the anti-evolution sub-segment.

I can tell you this much, I'd rather have a couple fundys for neighbors whom I might not agree with about the Ark then a bunch of pretentious jerks that run around looking down their nose at others for their *stupid* views.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:43 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RektorFry985 View Post
Yeah that part seemed logistically hard to swallow. Even the largest super-tankers of today cant support a blue whale for 40 nights.
But why would the whales even be in the ark? The Earth was flooded with WATER, so wouldn't the whales just be in the water? The ark would have been for those animals who couldn't live in water for 40 days and needed a dry place to live...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
This is a fascinating thread. Now may we get some comments on the "don't teach our kids about dinosaurs" from a Mormon or two? Or a Muslim?
Do Mormons Believe In Dinosaurs? | Mormon Church Beliefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I have never known a Christian who doesn't believe that the Earth is literally 6,000 years old. Not one. I come from a Christian family, I have lived in red states for the last 20 years and I don't know any Christian fundamentalists, and I have yet to meet a Christian who views 7 days/6,000 years as allegory. I have even heard a Republican representative state that she believed Earth is 6,000 years old during a hearing on uranium mining in Arizona, when mined uranium is found to be hundreds of millions to billions of years old. Knowing that and hearing a public official say that it a serious public forum made me cringe.
What? I don't know any Christian who believes that hte Earth is LITERALLY 6,000 years old nor do they believe that the 7 days of creation was literally 7 days. Its the STORY of Creation, because its just a story, not the actual truth.

Here's what the Mormon website claims... And they're a little crazy, so if they don't believe in taking the 7 days/6,000 years literally, then you know a lot of other Christians don't either. Mormons believe that all of creation started in Missouri and that is where Eden was located after all.

Quote:
For example, how long is a day to us? 24 hours, right? Because that’s how long the Earth takes to do a revolution in regards to the sun. On what “day” did God create the sun? Not day one, so how long was day one? This is why Mormons understand these days to be creative periods- undisclosed amounts of time.
Also, Mormons recognize that Adam and Even did not partake of the forbidden fruit immediately after entering the Garden of Eden. No one knows for how long they were there before they partook of the fruit. This could have been thousands of years. How did a human live that long? Because they were literally God’s creations, and God made them that way. We don’t understand the science of it.
At any rate, Mormons don’t believe the Earth itself is 7,000 years old. Perhaps it has been about 7,000 years since the fall, but Earth has been around a whole lot longer than that. Thus, dinosaurs and anything else could have roamed around at any time before Adam and Eve or anytime during their sojourn in the Garden of Eden. Mormon theology does not teach what happened to the dinosaurs or anything, but it does not deny their existence nor their age.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:34 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
The schools should tell the churches to stop filling kids heads with hellfire and eternal damnation.

Why? So that the kids would then behave like the rude animals that attend public schools?

Old 02-17-2015, 06:39 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Why? So that the kids would then behave like the rude animals that attend public schools?
Yes, all children who attend public schools are animals. You heard it here first, folks!

Old 02-17-2015, 07:06 PM

78,333 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Yes, all children who attend public schools are animals. You heard it here first, folks!

Yeah, all kids in public schools are gun toting menaces to society.

I've decided to just give up and embrace the threads theme of wild generalizations.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:09 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, all kids in public schools are gun toting menaces to society.

I've decided to just give up and embrace the threads theme of wild generalizations.
I at least included some rolling eyes.

If you are/were being sarcastic, than my apologies, it's hard to pick up over type.

If you are serious. . .well, I just hope you aren't serious.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:34 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,216,453 times
[quote=Sundaydrive00;38484652]But why would the whales even be in the ark? The Earth was flooded with WATER, so wouldn't the whales just be in the water? The ark would have been for those animals who couldn't live in water for 40 days and needed a dry place to live...

[url=http://www.mormonchurchbeliefs.com/faq/do-mormons-believe-in

What? I don't know any Christian who believes that hte Earth is LITERALLY 6,000 years old nor do they believe that the 7 days of creation was literally 7 days. Its the STORY of Creation, because its just a story, not the actual truth.

Here's what the Mormon website claims... And they're a little crazy, so if they don't believe in taking the 7 days/6,000 years literally, then you know a lot of other Christians don't either. Mormons believe that all of creation started in Missouri and that is where Eden was located after all.[/QUOTE]

So if they believe that creationism it's a story, why do they accept it and reject science?

Old 02-17-2015, 07:41 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,021,618 times
Quote:
As much as I don't agree with some of the views on evolution, I might actually be more disturbed by the intolerance and abuse being thrown onto religious people in general and not just the anti-evolution sub-segment.

I can tell you this much, I'd rather have a couple fundys for neighbors whom I might not agree with about the Ark then a bunch of pretentious jerks that run around looking down their nose at others for their *stupid* views.
Thing is that superstition and ignorance can be a dangerous thing. It can cost lives, hold the progress of science up, it can inspire atrocities, or at least help facilitate them (respect one myth, you have to respect them all). It does us all a disservice, since it enables the often two steps back of unsettled progress.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:05 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:

'intolerance'?

Here's the thing:
I have zero tolerance for gutting high school biology curricula because someone someone thinks it doesn't jibe with their ancient book. Zero.

And that is precisely what fundamentalists do, endlessly, in district after district nationwide.

That is, of course, when they're not busy ensuring that more teen pregnancies happen and more people get STDs by peddling their idiotic 'abstinence-only' notions, or when they're not demanding that only heterosexuals are allowed to marry consenting adults of the gender to which they're naturally attracted, or when they're not ensuring that their state doesn't allow terminally-ill people to peacefully end their suffering in cooperation with their physician, or whatever control they're bent on exerting over everyone else on a given day.

But at least they're not 'pretentious'...

Me? I'll take the 'pretentious jerk' who isn't constantly demanding laws that make everyone else obey their own religious notions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events