U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 10:43 PM

8,520 posts, read 4,744,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RektorFry985 View Post
While I applaud the recent decisions by the leaders of Jordan and Egypt to launch military airstrikes against ISIS, I have to wonder why I see no commitment to order up ground troops?

Egypt has the largest and most modernized army in the Middle East and it's highly respected around the world, and I believe Jordan is much smaller but still capable for it's size. I'm not a military expert, but bombing these ISIS vermin scumbags will only be minimally effective in the long term, and produces a LOT of collateral damage since they hide like cowards amongst women and children.

As much as I detest the beheadings of Americans by ISIS, it's still only been less than a half dozen killed. Other Middle Eastern countries are suffering much worse at the hands of ISIS. When are they going to show courage and send in boots and guns?

The only ground forces I see fighting ISIS are the Kurdish people. I have gained a lot of respect for these hardy warriors.
The main reason is because neither country has a professional, organized, well equipped, ground fighting force that can wage a sustained expedition. It's simple as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 01:31 AM

20,898 posts, read 22,699,201 times
People need to get over the propaganda videos put out by ISIS and groups like them showing them wearing some type of uniform when in reality they wear no uniforms. Putting feet on the ground is of no help when one can't tell the difference between them and the civilians. The only way to really know is by intel and by them actually shooting at you. We already know this from Syria and from Israel who did a limited feet on the ground in Gaza. We need to stop comparing this situation to Viet Nam or Korea. Egypt did it correctly as a air strike based on intel. Jordan is doing it correctly also by using air strikes. But Jordan has an additional problem to deal with. They have to have feet on the ground to protect their own citizens from ISIS who are hiding in the refugee camps from Syria waiting for the right time to infiltrate Jordan.

One has to wonder, where was the UN emergency session to come out with a resolution against Egypt for crossing into another country and doing an air strike in it.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:25 AM

32,589 posts, read 17,670,639 times
Default Why is Jordan and Egypt too chicken to send in ground troops vs. ISIS ???

Short answer:

Because all the middle east countries are perfectly content to let the USA do their fighting for them.

Sadly, we're dumb enough to do it.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:47 AM

3,729 posts, read 1,673,243 times
Same reason we are.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:10 AM

13,120 posts, read 17,664,361 times
My dad used to say when you have a mad dog you put it out of its misery and everyone elses . Then my uncle would say "drop the bomb and take out the head and the rest will fall " in other words if you drop the bomb on em you got no more problem . But the usa s problem is that we don't have a leader with a backbone or a spine ,no we have a spineless creature for a president . I just know we would not be having these problems had we dropped the bomb a long time ago and show the USA is not weak . When you have a weak leader the whole world knows it and you become the target so to speak .I say time to end the isis nonsense and do you see any European countrys negotiating with high jackers or terrorists ? no you don't they kill them and what happens ? they have less hijackers and terrorists .

Last edited by phonelady61; 02-17-2015 at 06:11 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-17-2015, 07:04 AM

7,782 posts, read 5,346,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
My dad used to say when you have a mad dog you put it out of its misery and everyone elses . Then my uncle would say "drop the bomb and take out the head and the rest will fall " in other words if you drop the bomb on em you got no more problem . But the usa s problem is that we don't have a leader with a backbone or a spine ,no we have a spineless creature for a president . I just know we would not be having these problems had we dropped the bomb a long time ago and show the USA is not weak . When you have a weak leader the whole world knows it and you become the target so to speak .I say time to end the isis nonsense and do you see any European countrys negotiating with high jackers or terrorists ? no you don't they kill them and what happens ? they have less hijackers and terrorists .
We've been dropping bombs on them for months... We've been fighting them since August 2014
And by the way, the proposal for a full-scale operation against ISIL rests in the hands of congress. Nice try blaming the president for everything, though. This spineless guy just so happens to be the same person responsible for the death of Bin Laden. I don't care for him as a president any more than the other, but credit should be given where due.

Europeans have less hijackers and terrorists? What planet do you live on? Have you read the news, lately?

Old 02-17-2015, 07:05 AM

15,629 posts, read 9,677,882 times
It is not our leader that is too weak to act, it is you and me .......we American citizens ! Let's put it where it belongs, we are simply too nice and civilized to go in there and really do something, because, GOD forbid, some civilian casualties might happen. The outcry would be tremendous.

If we were fighting WWII today and our Government dropped those two bombs on Japan, there would be trials, calls for arrests of our leaders, and every TV "expert" would be dissecting it.

We all know the fix, drop some serious bombs on those camel jockeys over there and show them we aren't screwing around, but we choose to fight with gloves on and one hand tied behind our backs while our enemies don't play by those same rules. Nope, we are TOO NICE for our own good.

Don

Old 02-17-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
It is not our leader that is too weak to act, it is you and me .......we American citizens ! Let's put it where it belongs, we are simply too nice and civilized to go in there and really do something, because, GOD forbid, some civilian casualties might happen. The outcry would be tremendous.

If we were fighting WWII today and our Government dropped those two bombs on Japan, there would be trials, calls for arrests of our leaders, and every TV "expert" would be dissecting it.

We all know the fix, drop some serious bombs on those camel jockeys over there and show them we aren't screwing around, but we choose to fight with gloves on and one hand tied behind our backs while our enemies don't play by those same rules. Nope, we are TOO NICE for our own good.

Don
Yes this is true ^^^^^...yes I should have had said some serious bombs on them ....thanks for stressing that .

Old 02-17-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
We've been dropping bombs on them for months... We've been fighting them since August 2014
And by the way, the proposal for a full-scale operation against ISIL rests in the hands of congress. Nice try blaming the president for everything, though. This spineless guy just so happens to be the same person responsible for the death of Bin Laden. I don't care for him as a president any more than the other, but credit should be given where due.

Europeans have less hijackers and terrorists? What planet do you live on? Have you read the news, lately?

what planet do you live on ? Obama was not responsible to Bin Laden ...a navy seal team was responsible for that one . Nice try , trying to credit him with that sorry it just aint so . I should have said at least Europeans kill the terrorists no we play footsies with them and negotiate with them . Case in point instead of doing away with that bumb who did the Boston Marathon bombing we are giving him a trial where he will be treated as a mental patient instead of the killer he is .

Old 02-17-2015, 07:46 AM

7,782 posts, read 5,346,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
what planet do you live on ? Obama was not responsible to Bin Laden ...a navy seal team was responsible for that one . Nice try , trying to credit him with that sorry it just aint so . I should have said at least Europeans kill the terrorists no we play footsies with them and negotiate with them . Case in point instead of doing away with that bumb who did the Boston Marathon bombing we are giving him a trial where he will be treated as a mental patient instead of the killer he is .
First off, the president ordered the assault on Bin Laden's compound. He was the commander of the operation. The SEALS didn't decide to go there, they were ordered to -- by the President. The attack was planned and coordinated by the CIA -- and COMMANDED by Obama. I'm assuming you'll also not give the CIA credit for this?

Second, the police killed the older Tsarnaev brother. The other is facing trial while behind bars. Neither one of those have ANYTHING to do with the president, but rather with our justice system.

Last edited by Arcenal352; 02-17-2015 at 07:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or