U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 10:27 AM
Status: "Christine Blasi Ford, Novelist and fiction author" (set 6 days ago)

13,546 posts, read 5,298,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RektorFry985 View Post
While I applaud the recent decisions by the leaders of Jordan and Egypt to launch military airstrikes against ISIS, I have to wonder why I see no commitment to order up ground troops?

Egypt has the largest and most modernized army in the Middle East and it's highly respected around the world, and I believe Jordan is much smaller but still capable for it's size. I'm not a military expert, but bombing these ISIS vermin scumbags will only be minimally effective in the long term, and produces a LOT of collateral damage since they hide like cowards amongst women and children.

As much as I detest the beheadings of Americans by ISIS, it's still only been less than a half dozen killed. Other Middle Eastern countries are suffering much worse at the hands of ISIS. When are they going to show courage and send in boots and guns?

The only ground forces I see fighting ISIS are the Kurdish people. I have gained a lot of respect for these hardy warriors.
Generally Arab land armies are untrustworthy. At best, they panic and run easily. Think the 1967 War. Or at worst they are disloyal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 11:29 AM

9,191 posts, read 6,395,644 times
Quote:
Then we should be bombing Turkey!

Didn't Dubya loudly thump his chest after 9/11 and proclaim the U.S. would go after any country that provides support and safe harbor to any terrorist group?

More empty rhetoric from the "Great Orator".
Don't know where you've been, but "Dubya" has been retired as president for more than 7 years now, and the so-called "policies" of the current administration, such as they are, are in effect now.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:51 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,943,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Exactly. There was no ISIS until Bush and Cheney decided to invade and topple Saddam based on a lie. The USA has destabilized the Middle East. Both should be tried for crimes against humanity.
Thousands of gassed Kurds could not be reached for comment. Iraq's chemical weapons stockpile was and is well known.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:52 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,943,953 times
Quote:
LOL --- gotta love the deaf & blind Tea Party apologism for Ole Dubya.

I can hear the sheep bleating from several states away!
And your beloved Obamunist has been oh-peasing th4e savages for seven years now. And you go on to blissfully politically fellate him.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:08 PM

18,638 posts, read 13,786,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Well Dubya isn't the president any longer.
I'm not a big GWB supporter for my own reasons but him and his father, both put together rock solid Military coalition in gulf War 1 and 2. You can knock them but it worked. If Bush 1 and 2 could put together a coalition why can't this administration?

The Middle Eastern countries don't have what it takes and have failed most every time they of put together a coalition of their own. The only 2 times they were in a coalition that worked was with the US. They are conditioned that they need the US.

With a 1/2 million man Army, 1100 aircraft, almost 5000 tanks and good communications Egypt could make short work out of ISIS and their allies in Libya. it's the Policing after the invasion that is the hard part.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 02-17-2015 at 12:25 PM..

Old 02-17-2015, 01:45 PM

7,701 posts, read 5,167,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
People need to get over the propaganda videos put out by ISIS and groups like them showing them wearing some type of uniform when in reality they wear no uniforms. Putting feet on the ground is of no help when one can't tell the difference between them and the civilians. The only way to really know is by intel and by them actually shooting at you. We already know this from Syria and from Israel who did a limited feet on the ground in Gaza. We need to stop comparing this situation to Viet Nam or Korea. Egypt did it correctly as a air strike based on intel. Jordan is doing it correctly also by using air strikes. But Jordan has an additional problem to deal with. They have to have feet on the ground to protect their own citizens from ISIS who are hiding in the refugee camps from Syria waiting for the right time to infiltrate Jordan.

One has to wonder, where was the UN emergency session to come out with a resolution against Egypt for crossing into another country and doing an air strike in it.
I don't disagree with what you're saying, but would like to point out that the war in Vietnam was indeed very much like the situation we have trying to fight terrorist/extremist armies. The majority of the enemy combatants we faced in Vietnam were quite indistinguishable from the civilian population. They also made a habit of camouflaging their selves & their activities among those civilians. So there actually is a correlation to Vietnam in the current conflicts we're facing. And yes, I was there.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:29 PM

7,749 posts, read 5,465,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
The answers are very simple.

Egypt is an unstable political wreck at the moment, they aren't sending troops anywhere (and really shouldn't). Committing troops to any foreign conflict anywhere will worsen an already unstable political situation. Besides, the army is keeping the troops in the country in case they need to use them to restore order (again).

The Jordanian army is well trained, well disciplined and strong for the size of the country - but it's still under 100,000. It also isn't trained or equipped for this type of conflict. It is primarily equipped and trained for two main functions - defense and peacekeeping.

Most of Jordan's military training and equipment is geared for defensive purposes, mostly because Jordan has not envisioned launching offenses and has no desire to make Israel paranoid about their capabilities. Jordan does an incredible job of committing troops to UN peace keeping missions, and much of their army is trained and equipped for this type of function. Jordan does not have any sizable number of troops trained and equipped for aggressive combat. They are also somewhat unstable at the moment, since they've got millions of Syrian refuges in their country. Much of the military is busy doing humanitarian work to deal with that situation. Of all the countries in the region Jordan is the last one anyone should accuse of not doing enough in this situation, they should actually be getting much more aid to help with Syrian refugees.

SO true!!!!

Old 02-17-2015, 05:05 PM

9,535 posts, read 14,362,016 times
"Why is Jordan and Egypt too chicken to send in ground troops vs. ISIS ???"

Attrill answered it very succinctly. To put ground troops in opposition to ISIS they need food, water, ammo, fuel and rapid mobility. That means light armor, Humvees and helicopters. The only country in the region that could be effective on the ground is Turkey. They are disinclined to get involved because it would cause internal strife inside their own country.

The UN has had observers and "peacekeepers" in various places since about 1948. With the exception of Korea it has never worked very well. Rwanda is the best example of ineffective peacekeeping on the part of the UN. By the way, the Turks fought well in Korea, but their enemy was not Moslem.

Jordan ordered a squadron of F-16s 18 months ago. That order has been tied up in our state department of all places. Meanwhile, Obama sent a whole squadron of F-16s to the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt. The world cannot wait the two years until Obama has retired and left the USA. The world needs to find a way to defeat ISIS without Obama because our Congress will not act on this problem.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:05 PM

15,873 posts, read 9,809,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I don't disagree with what you're saying, but would like to point out that the war in Vietnam was indeed very much like the situation we have trying to fight terrorist/extremist armies. The majority of the enemy combatants we faced in Vietnam were quite indistinguishable from the civilian population. They also made a habit of camouflaging their selves & their activities among those civilians. So there actually is a correlation to Vietnam in the current conflicts we're facing. And yes, I was there.
You are damn right ! When we fought the Germans and Japanese, we knew who the enemy was. In Nam and in this latest hell hole part of the world, your enemy could be a 6 year old with a bomb strapped to them. How can you beat an enemy who is willing to blow themselves and their children to smitherines in the name of religion and idealism ????? This latest "conflict" is so like Nam that it scares me to death.

Remember that the Russians, who do not exactly play by nice rules, bailed out of that part of the world because even they could not beat them.

Don

Old 02-17-2015, 08:24 PM

419 posts, read 1,004,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
First off, the president ordered the assault on Bin Laden's compound. He was the commander of the operation. The SEALS didn't decide to go there, they were ordered to -- by the President. The attack was planned and coordinated by the CIA -- and COMMANDED by Obama. I'm assuming you'll also not give the CIA credit for this?

Second, the police killed the older Tsarnaev brother. The other is facing trial while behind bars. Neither one of those have ANYTHING to do with the president, but rather with our justice system.

Obama pulled the troops out of Iraq to get reelected. When he did so he created a vacuum which is now filled by ISIS. There was not a person in charge of the operation who told Obama it was a good idea to falsely claim the war in Iraq is over. We have the worst President in the History of our Nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or