Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 07:45 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,436,015 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all who have posted. I like this forum as people located in many locations bring different, salient POV to the discussion.

Another person reminded me where some of the additional information was. I don't have time right now to go through all the posts. This one has more of the Mexican president's guidance to Pasco officials and how to do their jobs.

Mexico condemns fatal shooting by police in Washington state

Your posts have given me additional ways to assess what happened. Thanks!

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 09:14 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,015,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I find it funny and hilarious the Mexican president has anything to say given all the cartel shootings that have killed thousands of innocents,police,government people and judges.

Secondly, from the brief blurb on our local news it would seem to me that this incident has nothing at all in common with Ferguson unless I missed where the person shot beat on a cop and tried to take his gun after robbing a store?

true. Also, this isn't another Ferguson, not even close. This is just crime as usual, and crime don't pay.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Sorry, our kids are too busy bringing up college completion rates after passing whites for college enrollment rates.
Hispanic High School Graduates Pass Whites in Rate of College Enrollment | Pew Research Center's Hispanic Trends Project.
Hispanic College Enrollment Up, But Not By Enough - New America Media
No time to travel to Pasco and riot.
Why don't you loose the racism? Maybe that would make you more successful?

Old 02-17-2015, 09:44 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,072,535 times
Quote:
His wife obtained a protection order against him several years ago, they said, alleging that he had abused her. She, along with their two daughters, eventually moved to California. Mr. Zambrano-Montes was in the country illegally and did not speak English.

Mr. Zambrano-Montes had also been arrested for assaulting a police officer in January 2014. The police said he had thrown objects at officers and tried to grab an officer’s pistol. He pleaded guilty in June.

In recent months he had appeared increasingly depressed and disoriented, his aunts and cousins said, after falling from a ladder in an apple orchard and breaking both his wrists, putting him out of work. Then, in January, he was caught in a house fire that burned his belongings.

“What I know is that he was alone, that his wife had left him, that he couldn’t see his daughters,” said his cousin, Pedro Farias, 32. “I don’t know what his reasons were,” for throwing rocks at the police, “but I know all of this affected him.”
This is a good argument for involuntary commitment if anything. As it is now someone spiraling out of control like this just keeps getting cycled through the courts until they end up in a situation where they get shot.

In Washington State, anyway.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:03 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,766,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post
Why don't you loose the racism? Maybe that would make you more successful?
You realize that my post is a response to general racist views of Hispanics as uneducated lawbreakers...

Old 02-18-2015, 08:22 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
You realize that my post is a response to general racist views of Hispanics as uneducated lawbreakers...
Where I think you may be off the mark is that "most" people I know have no problem or bad thoughts in general with legal Mexicans (or other nationalities for that matter) who assimilate into the American culture by speaking english,interact as if they live here NOT just an annex of where they came from and generally just try to fit in.

Most I know, myself included, resent people who come here from another country either legally or by breaking in and expect...no, DEMAND that the U.S. cater to them via what I call the "press #2 for spanish" programs instead of "go to english classes options".

It's sad when anyone with mental issues is killed, especially when they "could" have been helped by meds/doctors but cops are not mental health workers nor do they have to submit to injury or possible death at the hands of some crazed person. Their job is to protect the public as a whole.

Add to that a person who shouldn't have been here to begin with and knows it you end up with a recipe for disaster just waiting to happen.

Sadder still, the ambulance chasing lawyer will most likely get money out of Pasco, just as the Mexican "unlicensed drug importer" (aka drug smuggler) that was shot in the tookus by the Border Patrol a few years back.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:33 AM

24,476 posts, read 17,220,223 times
Is the media trying to stir up another sensational story here?

From what I have read it seems like the guy had it coming and is not an innocent victim.

Everyday police officers are injured and sometimes even killed doing their jobs to protect the public yet we seldom hear about their bravery?

Why do criminals get all the molly coddling press???

Old 02-18-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Your post sounded pretty racist. Saying Hispanics are too busy overtaking whites by going to college more than them. Why do you even bring race into this? And white people as your target? Sounds like you think of nothing but racing against whites to go to college more than them, like going to college is some kind of race and you have to beat out the other races by doing it more and better than them....

Nobody else in the thread said anything about a racist view of Hispanics as uneducated lawbreakers. That's all your m.o.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Is the media trying to stir up another sensational story here?

From what I have read it seems like the guy had it coming and is not an innocent victim.

Everyday police officers are injured and sometimes even killed doing their jobs to protect the public yet we seldom hear about their bravery?

Why do criminals get all the molly coddling press???
I think the OP wants this to become another Ferguson. I am not sure why he is so excited by this. No offense to him. We don't need any more Fergusons. What did Ferguson even accomplish?
Maybe a few police units across the country starting to require their officers to wear cameras, but that's all I have heard has really been changed.

Ferguson seemed to have the right idea, the idea of wanting justice and wanting answers for an injustice, but then things got very out of hand quickly with rioting, looting, burning, etc. and at that point I think a lot of people lost sight of what they were demanding, and the focus shifted to just flat out hating all the police.... not exactly something that's going to lead to a solution.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:52 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,766,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Where I think you may be off the mark is that "most" people I know have no problem or bad thoughts in general with legal Mexicans (or other nationalities for that matter) who assimilate into the American culture by speaking English,interact as if they live here NOT just an annex of where they came from and generally just try to fit in.
Try having the day to day experience of being Hispanic.
"Most" people assume that if you are Hispanic you are here illegally and do not speak English. I have been asked so many times if I came to the US legally. And well I tell people, "no", guess what they assume that means?
The vast majority of Hispanics are native born US citizens who never learned Spanish. We never had to come to the US in the first place. On top of that, Mexican immigrants have the highest rates of assimilation of any of the large non-English immigrant groups in US history, whether you look at language isolation, intermarriage, small business diversity, or any of the other standard measures of assimilation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events