Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 01:14 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,430,606 times

Advertisements

This story sadly happened last week. I've read some, but this is the first National Press I've seen. The shooting occurred on a Tuesday, I believe. By Friday and after the Mexican president released his statement, the family had filed a $25 Million lawsuit against the Pasco, WA PD.

Please post anything you've read about this. I'll add 2-3 articles that may add clarity.

I believe this shooting is important to address for several reasons including a president outside the U.S. saying what he did. Additionally, there has been very limited national coverage of a foreign country's leader releasing the statement he did.

I wonder if Mexico's president would have done the same if this shooting had occurred in NJ, DC or Miami etc.

Finally, there is the fact four people have been shot and killed in the Tri-Cities Area of Washington State in about eight months. Three of the shootings were in Pasco.

Start here and please post National or your area's Regional News about this latest shooting in Southeastern, WA.

Killing in Washington State Offers

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 01:29 AM

Default Pasco, WA City Documents of Events

This is a good link. After you read this first document, you can scroll down to see statements released last week by Pasco.

Pasco Police Officer-Involved Shooting Information | Pasco, WA - Official Website

The Coroner is requesting an Inquest. This article has a still frame photo. It also has a summary of what the president of Mexico said. Odd how I could find the detailed words previously and I can't seem to find them as easily now.

http://m.seattlepi.com/news/us/artic...ce-6079192.php

A lot of this will be repeating info I've posted; however, this contains more of what Mexico's president said. Much of what he said doesn't seem accessible now.

http://wap.business-standard.com/art...1400363_1.html

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 02-17-2015 at 02:14 AM..

Old 02-17-2015, 01:46 AM

Default Feds to be Asked to Investigate: Model for Entire U.S. Hispanic Population

This is the latest from the local newspaper in Pasco. Leaders to ask U.S. Justice Dept. to Investigate. Will set "Model for Entire U.S. Hispanic Population,"

Hispanic community leader to request federal probe into Pasco police shooting | Local News | Tri-CityHerald.com

If this sets precedence for Hispanics throughout the U.S., can we afford to ignore this shooting because it happened in a smaller metro in the Pacific Northwest?

MSR

Old 02-17-2015, 03:23 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,600,078 times
Ferguson? No Way.

Get back to me when they riot and burn down the city and dump a pile of garbage into the street and call it a memorial for the thug criminal. i.e. "Burn this B**** down".

Old 02-17-2015, 06:20 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,763,682 times
Sorry, our kids are too busy bringing up college completion rates after passing whites for college enrollment rates.
Hispanic High School Graduates Pass Whites in Rate of College Enrollment | Pew Research Center's Hispanic Trends Project.
Hispanic College Enrollment Up, But Not By Enough - New America Media
No time to travel to Pasco and riot.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:49 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,993,681 times
I find it funny and hilarious the Mexican president has anything to say given all the cartel shootings that have killed thousands of innocents,police,government people and judges.

Secondly, from the brief blurb on our local news it would seem to me that this incident has nothing at all in common with Ferguson unless I missed where the person shot beat on a cop and tried to take his gun after robbing a store?

Old 02-17-2015, 08:57 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,306 times
I was thinking, "This won't be like Ferguson" until I read the news story. I had thought they might have killed an innocent man, rather than one that had committed a crime only minutes prior.

It turns out that the man shot by police had been throwing rocks at people (including police). So, he was already violently lashing out at others and risking causing damage or injury. Then he flees the police. It is later addressed that he was here illegally (which I don't care about) and that his wife had filed paperwork for protection from him because of domestic abuse (which I do care about).

I would like to feel sorry for him, but one less wife beater isn't much a problem.

He also had a previous conviction for assaulting an officer and attempting to take an officer's gun.

Why must the outrage start when a terrible human being is shot down, rather than when an innocent person is shot down? Must we make all dead people out to be martyrs? If this man were white, I don't believe people would care. I don't believe his ethnicity is actually important in the context of what happens, it was just useful for creating a story and getting people interested so they would click links, view ads, and the reporters would make money. Call me cynical, but this isn't the person that deserves such representation. A convicted wife beating felon in the process of armed assault against civilians and officers decided to flee and was shot down. I haven't watched the video to see if they had reason to believe he might be armed, but he already went for a gun once during an altercation with officers, so I wouldn't expect them to be slow on the trigger.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:39 AM

Default Framing of a story; Mexican President

Some great comments. I didn't state how I feel about multiple issues in this unraveling story.
Rather, I tried to post enough background information so others could comment.

I do have three thoughts that I'll share about what. First, I wonder how many similar situations we'll see like this that will be labeled as another Ferguson, if the person shot isn't Caucasian. "The Ferguson Effect," when local residents most likely have a more limited knowledge of Michael Brown and Ferguson, yet they decide they have an identical situation as Ferguson. I have to give some the Pasco PD and City leaders credit for calling for a calm protest. There apparently was a counter- protest, supporting the Pasco PD which was also peaceful. Credit also goes to local Hispanic leaders for asking residents to be peaceful in protests.

Secondly, I'm bothered that the Mexican president said all he did and now his entire remarks can't be found. I did find more of them but didn't post as it was a website belonging to an individual not "the media." It seems to me as if there has been some internet "cleansing" of more that he said. As mentioned above and throughout comments of posters everywhere, this president is aware of how many U.S. Citizens have been slaughtered by drug cartels and Mexican"Law Enforcement Officers." I think his remarks were not needed. I hope he hasn't set a new precedent for foreign leaders.

Third, I think this is the quickest $25 Million lawsuit filed that I can remember.

Some additional information I've learned:

The YouTube video has been removed; nonetheless, I saw it on a personal website. The still photos leave out much of what happened. The initial pursuit of this man started on the other side of the street. He ran from officers crossing the first street between traffic. Then when officers followed him, he crossed a second street so he was now headed 180 degrees ( or the reverse direction he had been walking originally) from where officers first encountered him. He did throw rocks at them when he was on the opposite of the street. How did they know if he was reaching for rocks or a gun? I don't know how the officers could have guessed. Two of the officers, I believe, had injuries from the rocks thrown at them.

All that being written it is difficult to see a person walking on a street, reach for something and three officers firing, resulting with him dropping face down on the sidewalk. The still photos show a very limited part of the entire story. Unless you have seen a lot of shooting victims in a hospital or elsewhere I'd recommend not searching for the video.

Others may be able to add more clarity here with reports from sites that are news sources, not individuals.

MSR

Old 02-17-2015, 11:58 AM

894 posts, read 1,049,778 times
Hispanic people aren't going to riot over this. An illegal wife-beating felon who gets shot by the cops really isn't going to help their immigration agenda, nor would looting and burning stores in the name of justice.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:05 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,692,053 times
His skin is not dark enough for this to be newsworthy. Remember George Zimmerman was Hispanic. No sympathy was shown for him after he was attacked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events