U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 05:29 AM

10,608 posts, read 13,373,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
If he takes my personal possession away from me I will arrest him for it.
More facts not in evidence.

He didn't "take his personal possession away".

THAT'S why he asked the man to voluntarily let him inspect it.

THEN when he refused, the asked the man to leave the parking lot. He refused to leave.

And LOL "YOU" are going to arrest an officer for anything. OK. Please make sure there's a video of THAT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 06:00 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,995,179 times
He doesn't have to let the officer inspect his sweet tea, especially if he isn't breaking any laws. Have you ever heard of the fifth amendment?

Old 02-18-2015, 06:21 AM

937 posts, read 996,127 times
I clearly disagree with the decision, Assistant District Attorney Charles Scott said. Its (a reflection of) whats going on in many parts of the country. If you arrest or attempt to arrest people, there appears to be great anti-police sentiment in certain quarters.

If the police would limit themselves to arresting people who are actually committing crimes, there wouldn't be anti-police sentiment!

Old 02-18-2015, 06:34 AM

7,741 posts, read 5,322,246 times
I've been in a very similar situation before...
I was on my way home. I stopped and bought a pint of Bacardi Gold.
As I left the liquor store, I opened up a can of Perrier and was pulled over for failing to use my turning signal (really, it was just an excuse to pull me over.)
The cop asked me what I bought from there, and I showed her.
She asked me what I was drinking, and I showed her.
She asked me if I'd been drinking that night, and I admitted to a beer earlier.

BIG DEAL. Why do people make it so hard on themselves? Sure, I didn't HAVE to answer those questions, but why wouldn't I? Why couldn't this guy just let the cop inspect his drink? People DO routinely add liquor to canned drinks in liquor parking lots.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:24 AM

240 posts, read 196,856 times
As usual, I have to question what happened before the camera began to roll, thus putting the cop in a bad light.

Was the officer called to that location because the man was causing problems? Did this man have a restraining order against him? Was he not supposed to be on the store's property? Was he loitering...bothering customers? There's always more to any story that's "caught on tape".

Old 02-18-2015, 07:28 AM

38,060 posts, read 15,286,103 times
They made a video of the whole thing to post on Youtube. Seems to me it was staged to make a point about Trayvon Martin. No matter, this apparently a neighborhood in Fayetteville that is clearly headed the wrong way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbzUH90Sm0E

Of course the news doesn't show you this part. It doesn't fit their pre-determined narrative.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:38 AM

71,504 posts, read 30,016,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
He may have been trespassing, or in violation of a "no loitering" ordinance.

Regardless, his refusal to comply with the officer's directive may constitute a criminal offense, depending on how the laws are written in that state.
It's amazing how posts like this will follow up posts where it's pointed out that the judge threw out all the charges because the guy was doing nothing wrong.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:41 AM

71,504 posts, read 30,016,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
There was no POURING OUT requested in the articles that I read.

He asked to inspect it. He also asked the guy to leave the parking lot and he refused both requests.
The parking lot is private property and unless the owner requested it (the article also does not note any such thing) the officer has no standing to ask him to leave.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:42 AM

7,741 posts, read 5,322,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
They made a video of the whole thing to post on Youtube. Seems to me it was staged to make a point about Trayvon Martin. No matter, this apparently a neighborhood in Fayetteville that is clearly headed the wrong way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbzUH90Sm0E

Of course the news doesn't show you this part. It doesn't fit their pre-determined narrative.
Okay, now THIS made me LMAO... Soooo effed up!!!

Old 02-18-2015, 07:45 AM

6,482 posts, read 5,967,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
You don't have to comply with an unlawful order. Bonus points for being respectful about it.
Yes. You do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events