U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 09:05 AM

12,799 posts, read 12,158,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Yes. You do.
Actually, no you do not. You do not have to comply with an order to have sex, you do not have to comply with an order to stop filming with your camera, you do not have to comply with an order to let an officer in your house without a warrant, you do not have to comply with an order to search your car without a warrant, etc.

If the officer continues to engage in the unlawful order, the citizen is expected to comply unless his/her physical well being is at risk, such as a male officer ordering a female to have sex with him, or an officer ordering a citizen into a life threatening situation.

There is actually no clarity in the legal system on a citizens actions regarding compliance with unlawful orders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 09:17 AM

7,819 posts, read 5,390,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Actually, no you do not. You do not have to comply with an order to have sex, you do not have to comply with an order to stop filming with your camera, you do not have to comply with an order to let an officer in your house without a warrant, you do not have to comply with an order to search your car without a warrant, etc.

If the officer continues to engage in the unlawful order, the citizen is expected to comply unless his/her physical well being is at risk, such as a male officer ordering a female to have sex with him, or an officer ordering a citizen into a life threatening situation.

There is actually no clarity in the legal system on a citizens actions regarding compliance with unlawful orders.
It depends... Some marshals have the authority to barge into your house unannounced and without warrants.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:02 AM

38,607 posts, read 15,466,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The parking lot is private property and unless the owner requested it (the article also does not note any such thing) the officer has no standing to ask him to leave.
ABC stores in NC are owned by the counties. They are not private property.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:16 AM

7,848 posts, read 5,473,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
that aizona half and half tea is good, i don't blame him for not giving it up
I agree...especially when it's ice cold.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:40 AM

71,504 posts, read 30,170,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
ABC stores in NC are owned by the counties. They are not private property.
Fair enough. Thanks.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:46 AM

130 posts, read 101,846 times
Have to tell you all this true story... happened to my daughter's co-worker, a little old lady, age 72, who works in office at nursing home. Christmas day she was driving to work, drinking her ENSURE. Cop pulls her over. She had never been pulled over before, but she knows the drill, gets out her liscense and insurance card... but no, cop demands she get out of car and put her hands on roof of car... so, she does... but of course is totally freaking out.. Cop demands that she "walk a straight line".. she tell him, "Sorry, I can't, I have an artificial knee and hip so have not walked a straight line in years... He demands she have breathalizer test.. she complies, she passes... Cop demands to know what she is drinking.. she replies... "I'm drinking my Ensure, do you want some? I have an extra can."....... Cop calls her a *****, gets in his patrol car and drives off..She is so dang innocent she stands there with her hands on the roof of the car for another five minutes before realizing the cop is not coming back...Now, if we knew who this cop was, we would all be complaining about him, but since we don't, we all just have to laugh about it.. even Eleanor does, but it took her a few days to get over it.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:06 AM

10,157 posts, read 9,930,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Really, it's a sad place where people are getting upset over people getting arrested and hassled for drinking Ice Tea.

It is really sad that he got arrested and hassled for NOT breaking the law.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:11 AM

939 posts, read 621,121 times
District Attorneys take an oath stating "I will never admit to being wrong- regardless of the consequences for innocent people. By and large, they seem to be the most arrogant, pompous, self centered so and sos that exist. I'm sure there ase a few exceptions, but people in power without accountability turn into complete %$$%^.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:21 AM

3,196 posts, read 2,361,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Yes. You do.
It always amazes me how ignorant most people are of the law. The police do not have extra-legal authority. They have to follow the law, same as the rest of us.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:30 AM

6,795 posts, read 6,612,711 times
And if he was white, the officer wouldn't have asked to inspect it at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events