Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 10:30 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,168 times

Advertisements

Shouldn't have taken 2 years but at least it didn't go longer.

People who feel they are targets of the police should whip out their cellphones and start recording whenever a cop approaches them. It's perfectly legal to do, regardless of what the cop may say to get you to stop recording.

Quote:
Inexplicably, the district attorney still agrees with the idea of prosecuting Beatty for drinking his lemonade in a parking lot.

“I clearly disagree with the decision,” Assistant District Attorney Charles Scott said. “It’s (a reflection of) what’s going on in many parts of the country. If you arrest or attempt to arrest people, there appears to be great anti-police sentiment in certain quarters.”
Activist DA's and judges are as dangerous to our civil liberties as rogue cops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 10:37 AM

3,792 posts, read 2,383,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
It always amazes me how ignorant most people are of the law. The police do not have extra-legal authority. They have to follow the law, same as the rest of us.
The legal assumption of innocence is under attack. The prosecutors do not revue for cops making mistakes. They should to fulfill the assumption of innocence.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:46 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Act like an arsehole and/or play the fool to the police, they are going to arrest you. Period. It doesn't mean you are guilty or innocent of anything. It will be the courts that decide guilt or or not guilty of the charges.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:53 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,169,444 times
I'm going to have to go down to the convenience store and pick up one of these drinks to see what the hype is about.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:58 AM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Act like an arsehole and/or play the fool to the police, they are going to arrest you. Period. It doesn't mean you are guilty or innocent of anything. It will be the courts that decide guilt or or not guilty of the charges.
But he really didn't do anything, nor did he act a fool. Normally I'd all but defend this guy, but he clearly did not act out, yell, or get belligerent. Some weird stranger walked up to him in a liquor parking lot and started talking nonsense. I would have probably complied, but I don't blame another for refusing to do so.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:39 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,326 times
Quote:
That's the society you want to live in? The cops get to do whatever they want and you have to grin and bear it?
Maybe you haven't noticed, but police misconduct is a real problem. I'm personally not alright with handing over my civil liberties to sate the egos of cops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
I'm going to have to go down to the convenience store and pick up one of these drinks to see what the hype is about.
It's crap, dude. It has a metallic aftertaste and the tea is low quality.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:44 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
That's the society you want to live in? .
I prefer to live in a society where people are responsible enough not to sit in the car at a business establishment, play loud music, use profanity in every other breath, and do everything they can to taunt police and annoy others.

Parking lots are for patrons of that store, not a place to hold a party.

So you can drop the false indignation. I'm not buying it.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:50 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
A. Dont drink things while sitting in a liquor store parking lot....youre inviting suspicion. You have no "right" to sit on private property
B. This article is probably giving just enough info to make readers mad
C. Ive witnessed accounts like this and the person in question is rarely the innocent little angel they are made to be.

Scenario: Person is drinking a metal can while sitting in a liquor store parking lot. Cop approaches and questions. Person drinking assumes they are being profiled and gets an attitude. The attitude adds tension and validates to the cop that the person drinking is up to no good. Person drinking isnt complying. Cop arrests. Media biases. Readers mad.

Seen in a thousand times on COPS.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:52 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
If he had been reasonable then he likely would not have been arrested. Police have the authority to investigate reasonable suspicions of law violations .Even if wrong the person has no right to resist ;in this case a search on suspicion. This and resisting even a illegal arrest was long ago ruled on by Supreme court.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:10 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
He was drinking a tea. If that is acting like an arsehole, guilty. I imagine you are also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events