Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 08:16 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
It's dark, there is a burglary in progrees or a burglar prowling. Cops come to the wrong address with flahlights blinding the homeowner. I am pointing a gun at anybody I don't recognize and can't identify at that point. I probably hold fire until a threat to my life, but being prepared to fire does not strike me as unreasonable in the situation.

Even if the cop doesn't give the commands in a perfectly timely manner, or shoots immediately after giving the command, it's probably a rightous shoot from a police procedure standpoint (different than I think the cop did the right thing here), hence the grand jury aquital. I think the homeowner was a victim of circumstance, and a recent trend toward police opting for lethal measures too quickly IMO.

No Knock 2AM search warrant executions (or "Police!" then all heck breaking loose busting in a door) is another trend in police tactics in urban centers that are bad policing procedure IMO, and dangerous for both the cops and the perps. If you know who you are looking for, show up in force and execute the warrant in daylight hours.

Last I checked, we still presumed people innocent until proven guilty, and IMO the no knock warrant execution is an unreasonable search for anything but a potential homicide/rape/kidnapping in progress. Obviously many judges disagree with my opinion, because they authorize the warrants frequently enough that it appears to be another bad trend in the making.
Nothing else matters here. You point a gun at a cop, you're going to get shot. You know that. I know that. Everyone should know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 08:19 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I read the article again, it did say that he exited the home and entered the garage.. So, I would assume that means coming out the front door and entering an attached garage. Not that there's anything wrong with that.. If I want to walk from my front door into my garage with an AR-15 pointed to the sky.. Totally legal. Though, I agree, if a cop came up and told me to drop the weapon.. I would.
And that is all he needed to do. That was my point.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:28 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,035,072 times
I said it before and ill say it again. If you want to get away with murder just become a cop.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:45 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
Why do we allow 2 year olds and cops to get their hands on guns? Because we're America, and stupid is what America is all about.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:35 PM

1,431 posts, read 912,069 times
Did the cops not have the blue lights on their patrol cars or something so the old man could see? There are details missing from this story. I think the officers should've made it very clear who they were, but I also believe you shouldn't point a weapon at an officer and not expect some kind of physical harm to come your way.

Old 02-19-2015, 04:33 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
A murderer with a badge is still a murderer!
Not unless convicted by an impartial jury of peers. Until then, the preaumption of innocence applies.

Old 02-19-2015, 04:35 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,146,559 times
You should let people see that you are an officer.

Over the decades people have pretended to be law enforcement - impersonated police officers - to commit a full range of crimes on law abiding citizens. Only being able to hear a voice that says - "Police drop your weapon!" is simply not good enough.

Let them see you before assuming anyone in the neighborhood is a deadly criminal.

When I was a young woman, it was acceptable not to stop for police in desolate areas, and to drive on to a populated area before stopping for the officer. At the time, a lot of young women were getting raaped, robbed and even murdered that way. Would a scared young woman now risk dying if she tried to keep going to a populated area and not immediately stop for anyone brandishing a uniform and lights on top their cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
Did the cops not have the blue lights on their patrol cars or something so the old man could see? There are details missing from this story. I think the officers should've made it very clear who they were, but I also believe you shouldn't point a weapon at an officer and not expect some kind of physical harm to come your way.
I was wondering the same thing. The officers would have a better chance of sneaking up on a theif if they didnt have them on. Even if they did, it doesnt guarantee the old guy saw their arrival, or that they left them flashing in the street while they investigated. I havent seen where anyone testified to hearing a siren and seeing flashing blue lights that night. Its a good question.

One would think the officers could see that they were dealing with an elderly citizen.

Last edited by ConeyGirl52; 02-19-2015 at 04:51 AM..

Old 02-19-2015, 04:45 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
So sad! Another mistaken identity, but then again the old guy picked up his gun and pointed it at them.

Another shooting because of the stupid Second Amendment, "right to bear arms" If he'd had a baseball bat, would they have shot him? maybe, maybe not, but holding a gun is more lethal than a baseball bat at a distance.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:06 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,314 times
The "Current Events" forum here in Citydata is rapidly turning into the "Hate-the-Police" forum with all of these continuous posts lambasting law enforcement. It is tragic that this homeowner was shot. So as some of the posters state, even having to go through a grand jury to determine whether charges are appropriate is not enough. It doesn't reach their ends. Maybe what should happen then to appease some of you out there is once it is determined that the police have made a mistake we should just take the cops out and publicly execute them. See how many people you have then staying on police departments and joining up. Personally if the neighbor's home burglar alarm goes off I would NOT be wandering around their house in the dark, especially with a handgun in my hand, trying to figure out what's going on. That IS what police are for and any of you that know me know that I am NOT a big government person. And YES, if the police are dispatched to an incident, they DO have the right to be there. That's just nonsense to think that they can't. Don't ever point a firearm at the police unless you expect to be shot. Think about it. If YOU were a police officer or even military person would YOU allow someone to point a gun at you if you did not know what their intentions were? Still this is very tragic that the homeowner was shot.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:19 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,146,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
So sad! Another mistaken identity, but then again the old guy picked up his gun and pointed it at them.

Another shooting because of the stupid Second Amendment, "right to bear arms" If he'd had a baseball bat, would they have shot him? maybe, maybe not, but holding a gun is more lethal than a baseball bat at a distance.

Who is to say that that baseball bat wouldnt have 'looked' like a rifle? People get killed/shot at for brandishing wallets, submarine sandwiches wrapped in foil and all kinds of stuff - all because they looked like a weapon to the officer.

I am pro-police. Ive stuck up for them before in this forum when their actions seemed reasonable and justified. Were any shots fired before the officers arrived - no! Just a panic alarm went off at an address the officers could not find because of poor lighting - but wait! They had flashlights. Wouldnt you think their cars had GPS as well?

Why dont we get just as radical as the 'second amendment haters' and demand police not carry weapons? I guess we care more for these officers than some folks care to admit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events