Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 03:50 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,612,367 times

Advertisements

I recently saw a quote from Abe Lincoln, and was trying to find it online.

While searching for it, look at some of his words and let's try to come together and discuss them.

Abraham Lincoln quotations

1. You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
2. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
3. You cannot help small men up by tearing big men down.
4. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
5. You cannot lift the wage-earner up by pulling the wage-payer down.
6. You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than your income.
7. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
8. You cannot establish sound social security on borrowed money.
9. You cannot build character and courage by taking away a mans initiative and independence.
10. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.

I wish our current POTUS would live by these...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 03:52 PM

Here's the one I was looking for when I found the ones above:

America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves...

- Abe Lincoln

Kind of makes me wonder if that's the POTUS's motives?

Old 02-18-2015, 04:06 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,807,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
I recently saw a quote from Abe Lincoln, and was trying to find it online.

While searching for it, look at some of his words and let's try to come together and discuss them.

Abraham Lincoln quotations

1. You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
2. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
3. You cannot help small men up by tearing big men down.
4. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
5. You cannot lift the wage-earner up by pulling the wage-payer down.
6. You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than your income.
7. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
8. You cannot establish sound social security on borrowed money.
9. You cannot build character and courage by taking away a mans initiative and independence.
10. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.

People have been incorrectly passing off this list by William J. H. Boetcker as Lincoln's for decades:
http://www.snopes.com/quotes/lincoln/prosperity.asp

And, true to form, it's usually presented in a petty and partisan manner.

Why don't you take your crappily-sourced partisan whining to the Politics forum?

Old 02-18-2015, 04:09 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,270,011 times
GAH! Unsettomati beat me to it!

Old 02-18-2015, 04:15 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,960 times
"I don't want to see any damned play tonight. I'm staying home."

Lincoln never said that.

But he should have.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:22 PM

17,568 posts, read 15,237,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
"I don't want to see any damned play tonight. I'm staying home."

Lincoln never said that.

But he should have.

Actually, he did.

Well.. He kinda did. Remember.. Original plan was to kidnap him..

Quote:
On March 15, Booth and his most of his fellow conspirators met at a Restaurant three blocks from Ford's Theatre to plan their abduction of the President. Soon thereafter, Booth heard that the President would be attending a matinee performance of Still Waters Run Deep on March 17 at the Campbell Hospital on the outskirts of Washington. This, he decided, would the perfect opportunity for a kidnapping and--according to John Surratt--Booth developed a plan to intercept Lincoln's carriage enroute to the play. Booth's plans were foiled, however, when the President changed his plans and decided instead to speak to the 140th Indiana Regiment and present a captured flag.
Just a daily bit of worthless and irrelevant trivia that's rattling around in my head.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:25 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,611,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
LOL From last week in the White House.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

People have been incorrectly passing off this list by William J. H. Boetcker as Lincoln's for decades:
http://www.snopes.com/quotes/lincoln/prosperity.asp

And, true to form, it's usually presented in a petty and partisan manner.

Why don't you take your crappily-sourced partisan whining to the Politics forum?
As I first said, I was searching for famous Abe Lincoln quotes.
BING showed these results... I didn't do extensive research to validate who said this... I went with BINGS results.

And, my dear, obviously liberal friend, why don't you .... have a nice day.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:57 AM

299 posts, read 263,639 times
"I view the matter [Emancipation Proclamation] as a practical war measure, to be decided upon according to the advantages or disadvantages it may offer to the suppression of the rebellion...My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or destroy slavery."
from Articles: That Dirty, Rotten Racist...Abraham Lincoln

“I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races – that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything.” --Abraham Lincoln
From FEBRUARY 19, 2007 BY BONOBOI https://markii.wordpress.com/2007/02...history-month/

Abe Lincoln, June 1857: "...I am not in favor of negro citizenship."
A. Lincoln, September 1859: "Negro Equality! Fudge!! How long in the government of a God, great enough to make and maintain this Universe, shall there continue knaves to vend, and fools to gulp, so low a piece of demagoguism as this?"
These last two from Quotes from Abraham Lincoln

Nothing like old "Honest Abe" ...

Old 02-19-2015, 10:09 AM

17,568 posts, read 15,237,377 times
Yeah.. History has been very kind to Lincoln.. As it has for other presidents.. Kennedy for example.. Few people mention the massive boner he had for Cuba and that was likely part of the reason that the Cuban Missile Crisis came to be.. And why we've had 50 years of worthless embargo against them.

Washington had the Whiskey Rebellion.. Where he called up the militia against protestors.

Noone ever really remembers or talks about those things, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events