U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-21-2015, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
2,540 posts, read 3,067,076 times
Reputation: 6721

Advertisements

jimJ.

Could you go back and READ my post #56 ?

Note what I said about the national use of the safety holster in Canada. Unless a person KNOWS how to remove the fire arm from the holster...they can't get it out. 16 year old girls don't have that knowledge.

Second point. This took place in Canada, we don't have such a thing in our criminal code as a "felon ".

The girls were arrested about 30 minutes later, at the local shopping mall. They have been charged with " assault Police, resisting arrest, and fleeing lawful custody ". All of those are indictable offences, and upon conviction they may be sentenced to two years, less a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2015, 11:04 AM
 
1,026 posts, read 558,869 times
Reputation: 2962
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Just want to point out that not ALL "fat" people are incapable of defending themselves or taking down someone if need be. You might be surprised...
At one point I was what most would call "fat" at 6' 300 lbs and had no problem taking someone down if need be and did so on several occasions.
Granted I couldn't get into a prolonged foot chase but face to face I could certainly hold my own.
Now if I'd been fat and weak (think boss hog type body)? I do agree with you when it comes to some cops I've seen/interacted with and I myself have wondered how they continue to pass any fitness test.

And make no mistake about that.....the reason you see so many out of shape and undersized cops today is a DIRECT result of lowering standards to accept female applicants....this "relaxation" of standards then opened the floodgates to allow those (male & female) who would have never cleared the old restrictions to obtain jobs in the police, firefighting, etc. fields at the behest of the special interests that cared more about the "look" of things and supposed fairness vs. hiring strong, sizeable & in shape people.

They couldn't just cater to females (fearing claims of different treatment, discrimination) so they had to relax the standards for everyone thereby, for lack of a better expression, "polluting the gene pool". Strength, agility, timed runs, body mass index calculations were all either eliminated, watered down or lowered to compensate to allow those of lesser size, strength, higher body weight etc. to pass....again, this was mostly done with an eye to getting more females into the jobs mentioned but also resulted in allowing undersized, weaker & out of shape males to pass.

Take for example the NJ State Police.....many years ago you'd never see an undersized or out of shape trooper....all were near 6' tall +, stout and in shape (btw...their were some females, very few, but they were like Amazon women....not an insult) and never overweight...that's because they had stringent standards not only to get on the job but to keep it. That all changed and today you can find a male trooper 5'5" 135 lbs., etc. - a reduced & weakened "light" version of what used to be.

BTW....before anyone accuses me of being anti-women/chauvinistic .....not in the least. I have no problem having female police officers (in some cases - sex assaults, child assaults, etc they are more effective than men) but they should have to pass a MEANINGFUL battery of physical tests like those that used to exist and not get a job which entails controlling, arresting, chasing people (police) or rescuing, carrying, lifting (firefighter) by passing a useless, now ineffective test procedure that pretty much lets everyone through (and the written portion of the tests has also been reduced for everyone but that's another matter).


Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
jimJ.

Note what I said about the national use of the safety holster in Canada. Unless a person KNOWS how to remove the fire arm from the holster...they can't get it out. 16 year old girls don't have that knowledge.

FYI....many depts. have the same holsters here..they're jokingly referred to as "widow-makers" as sometimes even the cops have a hard time getting their guns out quickly, but they do add a huge measure of protection against someone grabbing it as opposed to other holsters where there is just a snap over the top of the gun and it slides out.

Good to know that's what she had.....however, it doesn't negate the fact that she performed incompetently, putting herself in a disadvantageous position from the start and allowing the first female to get the upper hand (and not giving chase afterwards). You say she had pepper spray....great, then why didn't maintain a defensive position and as soon as it was obvious the suspect was going to be combative spray her with it.....don't know if the rules in Canada are the same as here but the whole reason cops have pepper spray here is to use it on a suspect who is or gives signs of becoming combative without having to risk a physical altercation (esp. if it is one on one or outnumbered) or resort to production of a weapon or lethal force.

Last edited by luckyram; 02-21-2015 at 11:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2015, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Vallejo
13,469 posts, read 15,078,484 times
Reputation: 11937
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I'm confused. How come no one is railing on those two chicks? Where is the name calling, the tossing around of the word "thug"? All I see is disparaging the officer involved.
Because no one is defending the two chicks as heroes subject to police brutality. That they're thugs is a given.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2015, 06:44 PM
Status: "Finally Done With C-D BYE BYE" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,947 posts, read 21,518,544 times
Reputation: 15431
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
jimJ.

Could you go back and READ my post #56 ?

Note what I said about the national use of the safety holster in Canada. Unless a person KNOWS how to remove the fire arm from the holster...they can't get it out. 16 year old girls don't have that knowledge.

Second point. This took place in Canada, we don't have such a thing in our criminal code as a "felon ".

The girls were arrested about 30 minutes later, at the local shopping mall. They have been charged with " assault Police, resisting arrest, and fleeing lawful custody ". All of those are indictable offences, and upon conviction they may be sentenced to two years, less a day.
First off, "safety holster" or no, YOU have no idea what these girls do or don't know or, if they just happened to hit it right. Would you bet YOUR life on it?

Secondly, I'm fully aware of what you said and that particular jail sentence you state equals a felony charge (1 year + 1 day) in the U.S. which is where the majority on this thread seem to be so it was answered in U.S. terms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2015, 11:04 AM
 
48,992 posts, read 39,470,869 times
Reputation: 30644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Because no one is defending the two chicks as heroes subject to police brutality. That they're thugs is a given.
No one is coming with excuses because it's not completely obvious they are black.

If they were then we'd have racists talking about blacks......and the other racists claiming they were set up or that the cop started it and probably called them n-words or say that blacks are more often suspended so they were the victims of racism twice etc etc etc.

Basically, thank goodness for more distant, unclear video and that they are young enough that we don't get to find out their names which would be another trigger point.

Don't worry though, those girls will have further encounters with the police. It's inevitable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2015, 08:02 AM
Status: "Finally Done With C-D BYE BYE" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,947 posts, read 21,518,544 times
Reputation: 15431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
No one is coming with excuses because it's not completely obvious they are black.

If they were then we'd have racists talking about blacks......and the other racists claiming they were set up or that the cop started it and probably called them n-words or say that blacks are more often suspended so they were the victims of racism twice etc etc etc.

Basically, thank goodness for more distant, unclear video and that they are young enough that we don't get to find out their names which would be another trigger point.

Don't worry though, those girls will have further encounters with the police. It's inevitable.
And hopefully next time they will meet up with a cop who can defend himself/herself properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2015, 08:23 AM
 
Location: USA
13,266 posts, read 10,006,364 times
Reputation: 4228
Haven't heard much about how the girls needed to be shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2015, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Central Florida
3,065 posts, read 1,580,580 times
Reputation: 10287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Haven't heard much about how the girls needed to be shot.
The post directly above you may be implying that or you can use your bloodthirsty imagination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2015, 05:10 PM
Status: "Finally Done With C-D BYE BYE" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,947 posts, read 21,518,544 times
Reputation: 15431
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
The post directly above you may be implying that or you can use your bloodthirsty imagination.
Actually my mind didn't even go to shooting. I was thinking more along the lines of taser,mace,baton or just a good old fashion smack down and in cuffs you go.

A cop defending his/her self does not always mean shooting someone. I see histrionics are alive and well on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2015, 01:30 AM
 
Location: The State Of California
9,138 posts, read 11,691,613 times
Reputation: 3433
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlasphemer View Post
No where in the known politically correct universe are any standards ever lowered due to the fact that the applicant is male. Or white, for that matter.

That says either something about white males, the system that enforces standards, or both.
The standards were lowered for whites males at University of California Berkeley when Asian out performed them out here in California.

when I applied to a Cable Repairman job training program out here in California i out scored a White
Man for the training , but he was selected for the training slot anyway for other criterion.

When I lived in Oklahoma in 1974 I was asked to TRAIN MY FUTURE BOSS i refused and quit and joined
the Military instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top