Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 07:21 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times

Advertisements

The person videoing it should be charged also...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 09:30 PM

103 posts, read 97,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks5692 View Post
What a crock! Any police officer who is easily over-powered by two slap-happy teenaged girls should not be carrying a gun and a badge, much less be expected to protect the rest of us.
There's some truth to this. Physically incapable Officers are a danger to themselves and the citizenry. Here in San Antonio, we had a situation where a physically unfit Officer tried to pull over and arrest a young male college student for driving while intoxicated. He WAS drunk and he was driving, so the arrest was completely legit, unfortunately the arresting officer flubbed his location so while he was trying to make the arrest, the backup Officers couldn't find him for a few extra minutes. During the attempted arrest the drunken college student starting fighting, took the Officers night stick from him and began assaulting him with it, which (more or less, opinions vary) forced the fat, unfit for duty, college campus cop to shoot a college valedictorian.

The student died.

I'll also comment that there were no riots. No businesses were burned down. San Antonio is a civilized town, populated by human beings (and not feral animals). However, the college administrator kept his job, which was wrong. There was NO WAY that the fat, unfit for duty, physically out-of-shape and psychologically-not-fit-for-the-job, fat, unfit for duty, out of shape (and FAT) Officer should have been working as an active duty Police Officer. Fat people are not capable of defending themselves or effecting a physical arrest of a resisting suspect, which means they are in more danger, as is the suspect they are attempting to arrest.

Cops make good money. Really good money. And the line to become full-time Police Officers is LONG. They have no business hiring anyone but the best of the best, and they should not waste not one second getting rid of an unfit Officer.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:24 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
If the person was a mere bystander, I disagree with you. It's not illegal (and should never be in my view) to record police work, at least not as a general matter. And there is no legal requirement that people generally be good Samaritans. What crime did the person recording commit?

Old 02-20-2015, 11:36 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
UMMMM, don't they have batons or pepper-spray??????????????

Old 02-20-2015, 11:37 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Another case of women not being able to handle themselfes as cops.

Put them backon on meter maid duty.

Women in the military have the same problem to weak to protect themselves,
which is a danger to others.

Big mistake in both areas.
While I believe that everyone, men or women, should have to meet certain minimum physical fitness/strength requirements before joining jobs that require physically strong individuals (whether that's certain military or law enforcement jobs, etc.) and am against the PC decisions being made to lower standards to accommodate women for the sake of things (that's dangerous and no one rational person should support having physically incapable individuals on the police force on in military roles where a certain level of strength is required), I doubt that a standard, physically fit male police officer could have done much better against two young women. It would have been one thing is there was one person, but more than one person always complicates what otherwise could have been a smooth(er) arrest.

Note, I'm all for having a higher number of women in our law enforcement and military ranks. That said, I'm not for lowering physical strength and fitness standards to accomplish that if doing so is going to put the public at greater risk.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:44 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
Folks, lets get a few facts straight....

First, the situation was in CANADA, so US laws do NOT apply.

Second, in Canada, we use a safety holster, that requires the user to do the exact opposite to what most people THINK will get the weapon out of the holster. You have to push DOWN on the weapon, then pull it BACK to get it out of the holster. Got that ?

Third, the Constable DID use pepper spray, while she was holding on to the coat sleeve of one of the girls.

The two girls were arrested later, at the local shopping mall, and they are charged with `assault Police, resisting arrest, and fleeing lawful custody `. They will appear in court in a week`s time.

The Police officer is a community service officer, who is assigned to a local high school, on a daily basis. She responded to a call from the school`s principle about two trespassers, who were inside the school. The girls are not students at that school.

Jim B. In Toronto.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:52 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
It is not size but training. I know some martial arts so I know how to put someone in an arm lock etc. Still, it can be difficult to restrain two people at once. You would have to restrain of them and put handcuffs while the other is trying to attack you. That's why grappling is ineffective against multiple opponents. You have to use strikes to disable one person at a time, and when you get a chance, use grappling to restrain them. Luckily Taekwondo -- I studied the ITF form of Taekwondo (more like kickboxing as opposed to the olympic version) in high school -- is a "striking" art; it teaches grappling but emphasizes striking.

In theory, she could have threatened both girls with her firearm. But that raises moral issues. She was showing restraint.
And THAT <bold> is what could have got her killed and armed a couple of whack job teens. Was it "restraint" or (what I think is likely) fear born from recent events?

I'm betting her not pursing was most likely embarrassment and not wanting those she works with to know what happened and in doing so she let 2 felons get away to play another day.
Hopefully their next contact with law enforcement results in their confinement.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Not really BUT that person should be shunned and seriously ashamed of themselves. At a minimum I'd hope her fellow cops find out if that camera idiot drives a car and makes sure he's always operating that vehicle in a "safe" manner.

It's my opinion that if you see a cop in trouble it's your duty as a citizen to assist in any way you can. In this situation had the camera person stopped at least 1 of the "girls" things might have worked out ok for everyone involved.
Of course if you're one of those that believe all cops are inherently bad or don't have the moral compass to realize when something is just "not right" then you stand there like the camera guy did and do nothing.
If you're the latter hopefully you'll end up getting just the world you are promoting with your inaction.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlasphemer View Post
There's some truth to this. Physically incapable Officers are a danger to themselves and the citizenry. Here in San Antonio, we had a situation where a physically unfit Officer tried to pull over and arrest a young male college student for driving while intoxicated. He WAS drunk and he was driving, so the arrest was completely legit, unfortunately the arresting officer flubbed his location so while he was trying to make the arrest, the backup Officers couldn't find him for a few extra minutes. During the attempted arrest the drunken college student starting fighting, took the Officers night stick from him and began assaulting him with it, which (more or less, opinions vary) forced the fat, unfit for duty, college campus cop to shoot a college valedictorian.

The student died.

I'll also comment that there were no riots. No businesses were burned down. San Antonio is a civilized town, populated by human beings (and not feral animals). However, the college administrator kept his job, which was wrong. There was NO WAY that the fat, unfit for duty, physically out-of-shape and psychologically-not-fit-for-the-job, fat, unfit for duty, out of shape (and FAT) Officer should have been working as an active duty Police Officer. Fat people are not capable of defending themselves or effecting a physical arrest of a resisting suspect, which means they are in more danger, as is the suspect they are attempting to arrest.

Cops make good money. Really good money. And the line to become full-time Police Officers is LONG. They have no business hiring anyone but the best of the best, and they should not waste not one second getting rid of an unfit Officer.
Just want to point out <bold> that not ALL "fat" people are incapable of defending themselves or taking down someone if need be. You might be surprised...
At one point I was what most would call "fat" at 6' 300 lbs and had no problem taking someone down if need be and did so on several occasions.
Granted I couldn't get into a prolonged foot chase but face to face I could certainly hold my own.
Now if I'd been fat and weak (think boss hog type body)? I do agree with you when it comes to some cops I've seen/interacted with and I myself have wondered how they continue to pass any fitness test.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:59 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

This demonstrates the all-to-prevalent lack of respect for authority.
Forget about authority -- we lack respect for other human beings. That's the much larger problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events