U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-23-2015, 12:41 PM
 
882 posts, read 938,094 times
Reputation: 1385

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
If s/he can continue to practice that physician may be forced to practice unaffiliated with a clinic or hospital because no one will touch him/her with a 10 foot pole because of reputation/risk of litigation for discrimination. As a practical matter that will hugely increase the administrative cost of running a practice and in all likelihood loose the status of preferred provider because of the lack of administrative resources. This physician could stand on their principals but will pay dearly for the privilege.
One simply needs to look at the bankruptcy of Chick Fil A to see that an intolerant business cannot operate successfully. While what you say could happen, the practice might also get more new business than they can take on from the mostly silent but large groups of people who share her beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2015, 01:02 PM
 
898 posts, read 660,591 times
Reputation: 2810
The problem is, a lot of people may think, "Ok, what else will she do? Just how far will she go?"
What if a 16 year old patient, whose been a patient for years, wants to discuss birth control? Is the doctor going to tell her to pray for abstinence?

Perception is a big thing. If people perceive that their child will be harmed by this doctor's decisions, they will find a doctor at another practice. Right now lots of people are seeing "you broke your oath" and "you discriminated against a 6 day old baby". However right or wrong they are, perception is formed about this doctor and her practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2015, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Kendall County, TX
340 posts, read 536,228 times
Reputation: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
One simply needs to look at the bankruptcy of Chick Fil A to see that an intolerant business cannot operate successfully.
When did Chick-Fil-A file for bankruptsy? I hadn't heard of that before, so I tried to search for it. They appear to actually be doing really well. Source, please...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2015, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Corona del Mar & Coronado, CA
1,585 posts, read 1,130,556 times
Reputation: 1975
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
One simply needs to look at the bankruptcy of Chick Fil A to see that an intolerant business cannot operate successfully.
Hunh..... so when did Chick Fil A declare bankruptcy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2015, 04:33 PM
 
685 posts, read 534,132 times
Reputation: 1003
Guys: There's nothing about Chick Fil A filing bankruptcy. There was a stir So, there is no source for it. That's why we need sources, folks. Here's what may have been misinterpreted: Chick-fil-A's controversy fallout - The Orange County Register First paragraph says enough for me.

If I knew a doctor was praying for me because I am a lesbian would have me hightailing it out of their office. This is ridiculous. But again, it's the lack of law for this type of discrimination that gives the doctor's office the right of refusal. Discrimination is getting worse and Congress and enough states sure has the support it needs to see this happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2015, 04:49 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles County
11,103 posts, read 9,086,341 times
Reputation: 29152
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
But again, it's the lack of law for this type of discrimination that gives the
doctor's office the right of refusal. Discrimination is getting worse and Congress and enough states sure has the support it needs to see this happens.
Maybe it's just me but I'd rather not have a Dr. treat me or my family if they didn't want to. I'd rather the Dr. not be forced to treat me or my family. Unless it's an emergency and this is the only Dr. available of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2015, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Vermont
10,098 posts, read 10,659,800 times
Reputation: 13466
Hey, if that baby wanted to be able to go to the doctor she should have chosen heterosexual parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2015, 05:06 PM
 
685 posts, read 534,132 times
Reputation: 1003
Mr_Geek: I did say I'd leave the office if the physician was going to pray for me. I believe our responses are fairly in synch. The problem with an emergency and a doctor who has a grievance with anything, you could receive the brunt of the blow.

jackmccullough: I'm with you all the way. Thanks for the laugh in a tough thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2015, 07:24 AM
 
5,568 posts, read 4,431,244 times
Reputation: 10913
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Hunh..... so when did Chick Fil A declare bankruptcy?
Think he was trying to make a point. Intolerant businesses CAN be successful, therefor looking for evidence of chick fil a bankruptcy is futile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2015, 10:56 AM
 
174 posts, read 95,014 times
Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Think he was trying to make a point. Intolerant businesses CAN be successful, therefor looking for evidence of chick fil a bankruptcy is futile.
No one has ever shown Chick-Fil-A had done anything intolerant. They hire all kinds of people. Not wanting to provide one single item on health insurance is not intolerant. Only a Bigot would think that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top