U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-20-2015, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Caverns measureless to man...
6,704 posts, read 4,163,830 times
Reputation: 14935

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I find it unbelievable the doctor prayed on it and the prayers were answered with "don't treat".

Scary.
Reminds me of a line on "Boardwalk Empire" - "Flip a coin, Mr. Thompson. When it's in the air, you'll know which side you're hoping for."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-20-2015, 11:31 AM
 
7,351 posts, read 4,424,475 times
Reputation: 8296
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I find it unbelievable the doctor prayed on it and the prayers were answered with "don't treat".

Scary.
Me too. I wonder what other imaginary voices this doctor "hears".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2015, 11:32 AM
 
Location: USA
18,535 posts, read 13,674,466 times
Reputation: 12125
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
This couple didn't go to the Doctors church and ask for medical attention, they went to the doctors office. What religious belief says not to treat the child of a "sinner"?

The way things are going anyone will be able to claim anything is a religious belief to do whatever they want.
Then we would be just like just like the Taliban or Islamist. Fortunately this type of behavior is disappearing fast in this country. Not so much in other countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2015, 11:33 AM
 
Location: 500 miles from home
27,237 posts, read 15,024,326 times
Reputation: 20850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Pediatrician refuses to treat baby with lesbian parents and there’s nothing illegal about it - The Washington Post

Where to begin?

First, refusing to provide medical treatment is not religious expression. If someone shows up with an injury caused by their own negligence (say, a car accident while driving intoxicated), they get treatment. Prisons treat incarcerated murderers who are sick. Military physicians treat enemy personnel who are wounded and then captured. It's bigotry, with a religious excuse. Period.

Second, by what logic - even if a physician feels compelled to discriminate against gays - does one then refuse treatment to a helpless baby?

Third, while perfectly legal in Michigan, this act is morally reprehensible - but there's no shortage of people who will be falling all over themselves to excuse the shameful behavior of this physician because for some people, as long as discrimination is done in the name of religion (so long as it's done in the name of a religion they like, that is), it must be rationalized and justified and excused.
I agree that it's morally reprehensible - but I would NOT want my baby's life in the hands of a doctor that hates her parents. It's just not smart.

Doctor's pass on patient's for all kinds of reasons - lots of them are personal.

Bottom line - would not one this db doctor treating me or my kids, straight/gay/ or whatever. Just, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2015, 01:09 PM
 
14,920 posts, read 10,720,839 times
Reputation: 4828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
As the headline says, there is nothing illegal about it. But the headline implies there ought to be. I disagree because this was not an emergency case.
It would have been illegal if the doctor had said "I prayed on it, and I can't treat the child of Jew." Replacing Jew with "homosexual" makes it legal (at least in Michigan).

And then you have the AMA Code of Ethics which states:

"Physicians cannot refuse to care for patients based on race, gender, sexual orientation, or any other criteria that would constitute invidious discrimination (Opinion 9.12, "Patient-Physician Relationship: Respect for Law and Human Rights"), nor can they discriminate against patients with infectious diseases (Opinion 2.23, "HIV Testing")"

The good doctor Roi might soon find herself in a fight to keep her medical license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2015, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Maine
2,349 posts, read 1,580,609 times
Reputation: 4200
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
and I am still waiting for someone to show me where in the bible it says Thou shalt not have anything to do with gays and lesbians......
your awful quick to assume this doctor reads a bible, maybe the doc reads a Koran.



bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2015, 01:17 PM
 
13,007 posts, read 12,434,284 times
Reputation: 37256
Well, the doctor doesn't agree with the parents' "lifestyle." What if the doctor refused to treat the child of a single mother or of unmarried parents? What if the doctor decided to reject a baby as a patient because of its race or because the child was of mixed race and the doctor didn't believe in interracial relationships? Because there are still churches that teach stuff like that.

It's such a slippery slope. It would be good to have a set of standards for when denial of service is allowed. In a more rural area, denial of service for prescriptions or medical treatment could result in the rejected customer having to go hours of driving out of their way. Perhaps it should be on the proprietor to cover the costs of the customer they rejected to find a replacement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2015, 01:18 PM
 
12,043 posts, read 5,592,884 times
Reputation: 13571
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post

The good doctor Roi might soon find herself in a fight to keep her medical license.
That would be just tragic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2015, 01:19 PM
 
Location: John & Ken-ville
13,692 posts, read 15,112,510 times
Reputation: 9486
I'm conservative, but this is simply stupidity.

I wonder if when the doctor is presented with a sick patient she prescribes prayer.

If you can't do your job, find another one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2015, 01:23 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
9,285 posts, read 16,120,780 times
Reputation: 11269
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
your awful quick to assume this doctor reads a bible, maybe the doc reads a Koran.



bill

point taken!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top