U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 06:52 PM

7,481 posts, read 4,472,141 times

Advertisements

You know why so many feel that Christianity is a "safe target"? Because they have already been the recipients of its hypocrisy, ignorance, and hatred. That's why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 07:00 PM

19,463 posts, read 9,779,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
After I re-read the article and the letter of apology (linked in the article) the doctor sent to the parents, I'd have to agree that the doctor handled this situation unprofessionally and badly. She should have let them know the day of the interview that she wouldn't take on their baby as a new patient, if that was her decision. And in her shoes ( as I wouldn't be, I'd never make such a decision), I'm not sure I'd tell them the real reason why, to avoid the inevitable awkwardness, to spare their feelings, whatever.

But regardless of how she felt about the parents' relationship, IMO there's no excuse for the doctor letting them think she'd take on the baby's care, even making an appointment, and then sending in a colleague to see the baby, and leaving the colleague to inform them why she couldn't see the baby? I'd have been piZZed too if I were the parents, though whether or not I've had let this personal insult become fodder for the LGBT community, I'm not sure. IMO it's too personal an issue for it to become viral on the internet, allowing strangers to speculate and pass judgement as they will ( which admittedly, I'm doing too!)

It seemed to me when I read the letter of apology sent by the doctor to the parents, the doctor had conflicts regarding her ability to deal with the parents' relationship, resulting in her waffling back and forth about seeing them. The letter seemed awkward, I guess an apology is better than nothing, but she still comes across badly, IMO, especially as she didn't even seem able to face them after she had decided not to see the baby, or to let them know personally of her decision. I don't know what one does in this situation, IMO the graceful thing to do would be for the doctor to speak to the couple personally, be honest about her prejudices and let them know that overcoming them would be a work in progress- at least I think that's what I'd do if I found myself in that boat.

It's interesting that those who are using this occasion as yet another excuse to bash Christianity and those who believe in its tenets, assume that this doctor is a Christian. And bash away they do, we all know that Christianity is a safe target so they can let loose with impunity. (BTW I'm not Christian, but I can see and I can read) She may be a Christian but it's also quite possible that she isn't. Perhaps she is a Muslim. I suggest that based on her name, and the location of the office- Detroit but it's pretty close to Dearborn, where lots and lots of Muslims are located. Just speculating about that, of course, but you DO know that Islam forbids homosexuality, and depending on where that religion is practiced and by whom, the penalties for engaging in homosexual behavior can be quite severe. What if this doctor's reluctance to become involved in a doctor-parent relationship with a same-sex couple is based on her Muslim beliefs? Would she be soundly condemned by those doing so now, if this were the case? Just throwing out the idea.
Bash? They are bashing Christians by telling others what the doctor did? If you receive bad service at a business do you keep it to yourself or do you let others know that you had bad service? If you were at a diner and the waitress brought your plates and spit in them after she set them on the table in front of you, would you just smile and walk away?

If the doctor has a problem with dealing with the fall out from her actions and possible loss of business due to the way she treated customers, then maybe she should have thought of that BEFORE she agreed to see the couples child, set the appointment, and then was to cowardly to even show up to tell them to their faces why she was dumping them on a different doctor. The doctor wears a cross on her necklace and went to a Catholic college, I'm betting that she is not Muslim as I don't see many Muslims wearing crosses around their necks.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:16 PM

9,179 posts, read 6,373,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Bash? They are bashing Christians by telling others what the doctor did? If you receive bad service at a business do you keep it to yourself or do you let others know that you had bad service? If you were at a diner and the waitress brought your plates and spit in them after she set them on the table in front of you, would you just smile and walk away?

If the doctor has a problem with dealing with the fall out from her actions and possible loss of business due to the way she treated customers, then maybe she should have thought of that BEFORE she agreed to see the couples child, set the appointment, and then was to cowardly to even show up to tell them to their faces why she was dumping them on a different doctor. The doctor wears a cross on her necklace and went to a Catholic college, I'm betting that she is not Muslim as I don't see many Muslims wearing crosses around their necks.

Obviously I was referring to the negative comments about Christianity and their beliefs about homosexuality in reference to this story.

But just as obviously, its perfectly ok to bash this doctor's personal religious beliefs as long as she's Christian, but not Muslim. Okie dokie then.

And as far as what I'd do about bad customer service I might have received, I'd likely inform those who were likely to be affected by the same thing I went through. Depending on what it was, I'd probably contact the managers of the people involved in that lousy service, possibly the regional headquarters/managers if I didn't get satisfaction, I might file a complaint with the BBB, or a state agency if the service was from a licensed entity.

What I would NOT do is anything to make the story go viral on the internet, for judgement by and entertainment for millions of strangers, to allow my personal and private business become fodder for the agenda of any special interest group.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:13 PM

19,463 posts, read 9,779,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Obviously I was referring to the negative comments about Christianity and their beliefs about homosexuality in reference to this story.

But just as obviously, its perfectly ok to bash this doctor's personal religious beliefs as long as she's Christian, but not Muslim. Okie dokie then.

And as far as what I'd do about bad customer service I might have received, I'd likely inform those who were likely to be affected by the same thing I went through. Depending on what it was, I'd probably contact the managers of the people involved in that lousy service, possibly the regional headquarters/managers if I didn't get satisfaction, I might file a complaint with the BBB, or a state agency if the service was from a licensed entity.

What I would NOT do is anything to make the story go viral on the internet, for judgement by and entertainment for millions of strangers, to allow my personal and private business become fodder for the agenda of any special interest group.
Maybe if you showed an example of a Muslim in this country refusing service based on their beliefs then they would get bashed for those actions too. So far the only examples I have seen are Christians refusing services to homosexuals because of their religious beliefs.

Sorry that you seem to have a problem with the free market at work, but that is the way things work in the digital age. Maybe if the doctor hadn't acting in such a manner her business wouldn't be judged by the population. As for the parents, they can report bed service in any manner they choose.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:23 PM

468 posts, read 433,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
but where does it say to SHUN these people they consider sodomites?? what about the other forms of sin?? are they to be shunned, too?? so anyone who has committed any sort of sin according to interpretations of what is written in the bible is to be shunned?

I'll grant you, my knowledge of the bible is likely far smaller than yours, but I just do not recall any thou shalt nots about this..... unlike the thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, etc. etc.
[SIZE=3]"Do you not know that the unrighteous [/SIZE]
will NOT inherit the Kingdom of God"
Do not be deceived.
Neither fornicators, ...
nor adulterers,
nor homosexuals,
nor sodomites,
nor thieves, ...

God is telling his children what kinds of people are NOT acceptable to hang out with. Do you not try to keep your kid from someone that might lead them into a path that is not one of a character builder but one that can lead them into a bad place....like err jail, for instance.

When you are a Dr. to be a good one, you do build bonds. I get this doctor. I do the same thing. I may like the person who is a degenerate gambler but I will not get close and keep them in my social circle or socialize with the person because it is NOT my values. I will stay professional and will work with people that don't have my values, because it is not mine to judge, BUT I will not give them my social time of the day.
Who is anyone to demand anything of anyone? That I find unacceptable. Nobody has the right to demand anything from anyone. If the person falls short that is between them and God. Let him sort it out. I think these Lesbos are vicious cows for trying to ruin this Doctor just because she is obeying her spiritual leader The Rabbi Yeshua and the God of Abraham/Isaac/Jacob.
And no, sexual deviants cannot in no way be equated to skin color and abuse of people because of it, calling their cause the same as civil rights. Black people are also Gods children and have committed NO SIN in having a dark skin, whereas God told his children that the act of sodomy is NOT acceptable behavior IT IS A SIN in as much as the behavior of gambling is.
Sodomites are so twisted they equated Black skin color with SIN. No wonder Black Pastors are in an uproar.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:42 PM

2,702 posts, read 3,455,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
Catholicism would not support denying medical care to a baby because of the parents (and I highly doubt they would deny care to homosexuals either, the Sisters of Charity has run AIDS hospices for decades), so I'm sure the doctor is not Catholic. She was probably an Evangelical Christian.
Oh please!!!! Catholics have been abusing people and helping the evil for eons....

They have their own secret service, are the richest religion in the universe, and they helped the Nazis during and after WWII....

And let's not forget the Priests and their young boys......

And they influence politics and VIPs all the time....

Old 02-20-2015, 08:45 PM

2,702 posts, read 3,455,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I don't know what state this situation developed in, but what would the doctor's responsibility be if she accepted this infant into her care and then released the infant into that situation without notifying child protective services? In some states that might bring a review of the doctor's license. I think the Doc was unwilling to take the risk.

If two men brought a 10 year old girl in to be treated for an STD and the Doc did not report the situation, would the Doc be liable? This may vary state to state, but child trafficking is a growing problem in our country and and groups like NAMBLA are gaining approval among understanding progressives. I can see where some pediatricians would be horrified by such things and be unprepared to cope with such situations. Are these topics required in med schools these days?

I don't know the answers to these questions, but these questions would not have arisen half a century ago. How far we have fallen.
WTF have you been smoking?????

Old 02-20-2015, 08:52 PM

9,291 posts, read 16,172,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I don't know what state this situation developed in, but what would the doctor's responsibility be if she accepted this infant into her care and then released the infant into that situation without notifying child protective services? In some states that might bring a review of the doctor's license. I think the Doc was unwilling to take the risk.

If two men brought a 10 year old girl in to be treated for an STD and the Doc did not report the situation, would the Doc be liable? This may vary state to state, but child trafficking is a growing problem in our country and and groups like NAMBLA are gaining approval among understanding progressives. I can see where some pediatricians would be horrified by such things and be unprepared to cope with such situations. Are these topics required in med schools these days?

I don't know the answers to these questions, but these questions would not have arisen half a century ago. How far we have fallen.
OMG... You are equating a couple who carefully interviewed a physician in their quest for one who they felt would provide the best care for their daughter to two potential child molesters showing up in an emergency room?? (like THAT would EVER happen) .... and pray tell, why should the pediatrician alert CPS to this family??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1022 View Post
Treating their kids she will build up a bond, with the Sodomites Maybe she wants to avoid this as the Bible says to shun sodomites. You know what? Judge lest not ye be judged. These sodomites are so self absorbed they think they are entitled to be served and catered to and accepted. No one is. When someone gives you the time of the day you should be honored, if they don't you should leave them their "space" and let God sort it out.
where exactly does the bible explicitly say to shun sodomites??

and what about all if those people, Christians included, who commit the legal definition of sodomy within the confines of their marriage?? are they to be shunned, too??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Book of Nowhere, chapter non-existent, verse invisible.
Petunia, I owe you a bunch more reps.... just as soon as the rep fairy frees my wand again....

Old 02-20-2015, 09:04 PM

898 posts, read 659,078 times
Medical ethics is very complicated and nuanced and goes way above and beyond running a Qwiky-Mart. This isn't a simple matter of the right to refuse service.

I'd love to see someone applying for medical school saying, "I want you to know, that I will try to be a good doctor, but I can't have Sodomites as patients, because God hates homosexuals, and I don't, like, want my practice to burn like Sodom and Gomorrah."

You think that medical student is going to be allowed to eventually practice medicine?

Old 02-20-2015, 09:08 PM

511 posts, read 362,244 times
It's not that he is refusing treatment, this article is disingenous

Treatment played no part in this. This was a well-baby check up.

The Doc has chosen not to have this baby as his patient.

Same thing happened to us, no biggie.

We just found a Pediatrician who accepted our son as his patient

Solved

I don't see a story here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or