U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-22-2015, 08:05 AM
 
Location: Arizona
5,586 posts, read 4,795,200 times
Reputation: 16511

Advertisements

I think if all countries banned travel to the Middle East the Middle Eastern countries would take care of it themselves. Completely pull out of that part of the world, including the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-22-2015, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Cape Cod
9,841 posts, read 7,133,639 times
Reputation: 17990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Yes, they are the new Nazi. The difference is, is that everyone in the entire world knows exactly what they are doing as they are doing it, and yet here we are, seemingly powerless.

I'm trusting that world leaders are secretly working behind the scenes to "take care" of the problem. I don't have to know about it -- just get it done already!


Many people knew what the Nazis were doing and looked the other way out of fear, lack of empathy or simply not knowing what to do. Some people couldn't even fathom that people would exterminate other people as if they were rodents. There were many that denied the holocaust was happening right here in America until our troops marched in and liberated the camps. It was only then that the world could see the evil that Hitler was responsible for.
isis on the other hand is proud of what they are doing and they put it all over the internet to spread their brand of hate and breed fear.
Why isn't there more outrage from the people of the world and its leaders? Then again there has been genocides being committed in Africa today and in the past in Southeast Asia and the world doesn't take too much notice in those spots either.

For some reason I have zero faith in our leaders to "take care" of isis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2015, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Hiding from Antifa?
5,831 posts, read 3,775,937 times
Reputation: 4985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
Good luck herding them into a circle. That's the problem -- this isn't the same as bombing a country into submission. You can't stop a terrorist group by bombing it. There's no legal political entity (like a government) that can offer up a surrender for the entire group -- if 75% of them are ready to give in but 25% want to keep fighting, they'll keep fighting, and they'll bring in more recruits to help them.

The most that can realistically be done is to cut off their funding and access to weapons. We can freeze bank accounts and single out the people who aid and abet. Another thing we can do is turn public opinion against them. Unfortunately, that's kind of hard to do in a part of the world where America and the West are seen as imperialist aggressors -- and often with good reason. This is, in large part, a monster we helped create. You think we'd learn our lesson. The best way to prevent ISIS-type groups from proliferating is to stop creating the situations that give rise to them in the first place.
Then you'd better invent a time machine and go back to the source with a gun to do the deed yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2015, 08:55 AM
Status: "Finally Done With C-D BYE BYE" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,947 posts, read 21,501,470 times
Reputation: 15431
Quote:
Originally Posted by notthewise1 View Post
Something along the lines of what Obama is doing. Use weapons to take out the extremists and words to assuage the moderates.
Ahh, whack a mole... Such a fun game but useless to stop the next one from popping up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2015, 08:57 AM
 
Location: Cape Cod
9,841 posts, read 7,133,639 times
Reputation: 17990
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
ISIS wont be eradicated with air strikes alone. Troops on the ground are needed. Except this time it should not be American ground troops. Time for countries in the region to step up and use their fighters. Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, and others need to quit depending on the American military. Our young men and women have sacrificed enough.

And our so-called NATO ally Italy that ISIS has recently threatened wouldn't even be able to defend itself properly if ISIS is able to carry out it's threat (which I doubt).

Hasn't this been tried before where local troops and police were to handle these types of tribal uprises and what happened was isis overwhelmed them or the troops dropped their weapons and ran. When they ran they left behind all manner of weapons that America had given them. There were even tanks and humvees that the US had left behind when they pulled out.

What is the answer? Do we train and equip a foreign force that due to the unstable nature and history of the region shows a friend today might be a foe tomorrow... or do we go in and do the fighting for them?

I like choice C we should pull out and secure our own country against future terrorist attacks.


The locals will either win or lose. If they lose then isis will take over towns and cities and will eventually settle down enough, probably to demand they be recognised as a new country and that is when we will have them in our cross hairs to bomb them to bits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2015, 09:02 AM
Status: "Finally Done With C-D BYE BYE" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,947 posts, read 21,501,470 times
Reputation: 15431
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
ISIS wont be eradicated with air strikes alone. Troops on the ground are needed. Except this time it should not be American ground troops. Time for countries in the region to step up and use their fighters. Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, and others need to quit depending on the American military. Our young men and women have sacrificed enough.

And our so-called NATO ally Italy that ISIS has recently threatened wouldn't even be able to defend itself properly if ISIS is able to carry out it's threat (which I doubt).
Some are trying to do just that but, our fearless leader refuses to send them what they need to continue on. Things like, oh I don't know... BULLETS.
Yep, send 'em MRE's by the plane load but don't send them anything to actually fight with.

I'm sorry but at this point I agree with Bob Beckel's thoughts that our President sympathizes with Muslims for various reasons and doesn't want to be seen as offending 'em or attempting to stop 'em in any way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2015, 09:04 AM
 
48 posts, read 37,565 times
Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Ahh, whack a mole... Such a fun game but useless to stop the next one from popping up.
Looks like we worry over nothing.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2015, 09:10 AM
Status: "Finally Done With C-D BYE BYE" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,947 posts, read 21,501,470 times
Reputation: 15431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Hasn't this been tried before where local troops and police were to handle these types of tribal uprises and what happened was isis overwhelmed them or the troops dropped their weapons and ran. When they ran they left behind all manner of weapons that America had given them. There were even tanks and humvees that the US had left behind when they pulled out.

What is the answer? Do we train and equip a foreign force that due to the unstable nature and history of the region shows a friend today might be a foe tomorrow... or do we go in and do the fighting for them?

I like choice C we should pull out and secure our own country against future terrorist attacks.


The locals will either win or lose. If they lose then isis will take over towns and cities and will eventually settle down enough, probably to demand they be recognised as a new country and that is when we will have them in our cross hairs to bomb them to bits.
Isolationism won't work in this situation just as it didn't work with the Nazis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2015, 09:12 AM
Status: "Finally Done With C-D BYE BYE" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,947 posts, read 21,501,470 times
Reputation: 15431
Quote:
Originally Posted by notthewise1 View Post
Looks like we worry over nothing.


At what point does this become Obama's problem? How many terms must he be in office before what's going on NOW is laid at HIS feet?
Enough of the OT political, back to the current event where this is posted...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2015, 09:14 AM
 
12,703 posts, read 12,108,167 times
Reputation: 17397
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Isolationism won't work in this situation just as it didn't work with the Nazis.
The US was not at all practicing isolation with regards to the Nazis and Japan. The US was involved in about every way except having direct troops on the ground, and even at that, we still supplied support personnel and even pilots before we "officially" entered the war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top