Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 04:01 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Nothing wrong with thanking anyone who is doing a good job. I'm all for it.

But I don't know very many truck drivers with PTSD (unless they're former military) - so it's not as likely to climb all over them if I say, "Hey, thanks for keeping America running!" They're not likely to have some sort of survivor guilt or traumatic experiences that my gesture of gratitude might bring to the surface.

They would, however, probably think I was sort of weird.

LOL! They would probably ask what are you smoking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 04:02 PM

436 posts, read 421,072 times
Wellllll so much for this thread...

Old 02-23-2015, 04:07 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
LOL! They would probably ask what are you smoking.
And I'd say, "Some stranger on an internet forum told me I should thank you for keeping America going," and he'd be like, "What a weird woman... give me your tears, gypsy lady..."

Old 02-23-2015, 04:10 PM

309 posts, read 367,239 times
If he is wearing his old uniform or medals on Veterans Day (or other patriotic day), then I feel it's safe to warrant an appreciation of his past service. I hope I'm not wrong.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:22 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go09 View Post
If he is wearing his old uniform or medals on Veterans Day (or other patriotic day), then I feel it's safe to warrant an appreciation of his past service. I hope I'm not wrong.
I think that would be fine - after all, he's intentionally bringing attention to the fact that he's a veteran, and in some circumstances there's nothing wrong with that.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:25 PM

That's one situation I would say was pretty safe to say thank you. If they didn't want the attention, they wouldn't be wearing their uniform.

On the other hand, if it's something like presenting an ID at Sears to get 10% off on tires... that's not really the same sort of situation. There are some cashiers who see the ID and say, "Oh, I have a son who's serving," or something to that effect, but they leave it at that, which is pretty harmless I should think...

Old 02-23-2015, 04:29 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,062,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
I agree with him. It's empty. If you are really thankful and feel the service is meaningful, offer your own and suit up.
This is an idiotic statement......haven't read the numerous pages of responses but your "offer your own and suit up" mantra is ridiculous - It would discount anyone middle aged or elderly (or young children for that matter) from thanking a veteran for his service to the country. It would also leave out anyone disabled, handicapped, etc. from expressing their gratitude.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:51 PM

To look at the other side of this... shouldn't it be a given that we're thankful for veterans? I know we have Mother's Day when we thank our mothers, but do we often, regularly tell them thank you for raising us? We do recognize them on special occasions, but not every time we run into a mother.

As a nation, we SHOULD be thankful that we're being kept safe with a military. (Some posters have expressed different views, fine, but they can express those views without repercussions because of... drumroll... the fact that we're not under a dictatorship... which we probably would be had we not had a military to begin with. But anyway.) So, right. We should be thankful. There were times in the past when people were NOT thankful - i.e. Vietnam. So now we have to point out that, yes, we are.

Genuine question - were any veterans told "thank you" pre-Vietnam? Like, WWII, WWI, and before. I remember reading lots of military themed poetry and prose from those eras, some honoring the service members and some not - but I don't recall if it was a thing. Is it just a U.S. thing in this era? Does it happen in other countries as well? Do civilians thank their military members outside of parades and military appreciation days and such?

Old 02-23-2015, 05:20 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,061,255 times
I don't randomly thank vets or anyone else I see in uniform for their service because I don't know what they did/do while in it and I don't know what kind of person they are. Joining the military doesn't make you Mother Teresa by default.

I know we're conditioned to be grateful that someone went to war instead of us or could possibly have to risk their lives instead of us regardless of anything else, but I have difficulty with that last part - with tunnel vision and things said so blindly so often that they don't even mean anything anymore.

How many people do you see thanking police officers and firefighters for their service? Few if any because that's not a part of our programming. Police officers die all the time in the line of duty trying to protect someone or the community or themselves and have the privilege of being looked down on thanks to fellow officers who abuse their authority.

Firefighters risk their lives to get people out, not for any complicated ideals, but because life is worth saving. They die in fires where there wasn't even anyone to save, they were just trying to keep it from spreading, to make sure that there wouldn't be someone who'd need saving. Hell, forget lives, they'll stand there all night trying to save your darn house.

When I thank someone, it's because I know them, I know their story, and I'm grateful - truly grateful. Not because it's "what you say when you see them". If I'm not inclined to thank everyone who puts themselves in harm's way for me or the idea of me in spite of not knowing anything else about them, I'm not going to single anyone out for the privilege.

For all I know, all they did in the service was rape and murder innocent civilians for fun. Not saying that's pandemic in the military, just saying that sort of thing matters to me - the thought that I could walk up to someone and unwittingly be thanking them for that.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:24 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
"Think of the Vietnam vets- I'm sure they would have loved to hear people thank them for their service."

The first time anybody thanked me was about 40 years after I came back. I was actually affected by it. I simply said, "You're welcome." It happens more often now. That's what I say every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events