Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 06:05 PM

399 posts, read 685,374 times

Advertisements

Just read an article on MSN about a vet that is offended when people tell him "thanks for your service."
Claims it is empty, thoughtless because anyone who wasn't there doesn't understand, etc.

I say- don't be offended by people who didn't share in that experience. He VOLUNTEERED; it was his choice.

It even says within military groups some militants make fun of the phrase with each other.

Cripes! What the h***do they want us to say to them?? Nothing??

Think of the Vietnam vets- I'm sure they would have loved to hear people thank them for their service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 06:09 PM

240 posts, read 252,063 times
The guy's a jerk. Anyone who gets pissed off by someone's thoughtful comment is a jerk.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:17 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,021,618 times
I can see why some people might find it irritating, 'thanks for your service' could come across as throw away, trite or patronizing. Or, who are you to thank me? ... you're not my senior officer and you've got no conception of what it was like. Sometimes silence is ok too.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:25 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
It makes more sense in the context of the article, the title here and a blurb don't explain the complexity of the veteran's feelings, which apparently are shared by many vets per the article. I don't think any of us who haven't been in war can tell them how they "should" feel.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/su...vice.html?_r=0

"So what to say to a vet? Maybe promise to vote next time, Mr. Freedman said, or offer a scholarship or job. Stand up for what’s right, suggested Mr. O’Brien.

Mr. Garth appreciates thanks from someone who makes an effort to invest in the relationship and experience. Or a fellow vet who gets it. Several weeks ago, he visited one of his soul mates from the mud hut firefight, which they refer to as the Battle of the Unmarked Compound. They drank Jameson whiskey in gulps.

“We cried in each other’s arms until we both could tell each other we loved each other,” Mr. Garth said. “We each said, thank you for what you’ve done for me.”

Old 02-21-2015, 07:49 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,124,513 times
I have thanked more Vets than I can count in my career as a Realtor. Every single one of them thanked me and really seemed to appreciate the kudos. Maybe the Vet the OP is talking about finds it abhorrent that people are thanking him for killing other human beings. I could see where a Vet could take it that way... If you think about it, we train soldiers to be perfect killing machines and when they come home from the war how does this new found skill translate to any stateside career?

Old 02-21-2015, 08:43 PM

240 posts, read 252,063 times
People need to get over their stinking sensitivities. This includes any vet who is offended by a simple "thank you". Geeeze!

Old 02-21-2015, 09:11 PM

813 posts, read 1,272,063 times
I was in the Baltimore airport a couple years ago, and vets were coming in on a flight to see the WWII memorial. Each flight had a group of people greeting them with flags, clapping, and lots of hand shaking and saying "thank you" to them for their service. They genuinely seemed to appreciate the praise and respect, and I felt true appreciation for my freedom that people protected well before I was born.

If younger vets are offended, then I hope somewhere down the road they can look back and understand that people saying thank you are not doing it to be offensive. Many of us cannot be in the military, but love our country and appreciate those that CAN serve in the armed forces.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:15 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
I agree with him. It's empty. If you are really thankful and feel the service is meaningful, offer your own and suit up.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:27 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I have two adult kids who are combat veterans and two sons in law who are as well. They have all told me that they feel very awkward when someone tells them "Thank you for your service." They aren't offended, but they said while it's often touching, they really just felt like they were doing their job and didn't really deserve so much adulation or attention.

None of them are ever OFFENDED by a "Thank you" though. I think that's a bit hyper sensitive.

My oldest son has PTSD and he's the one that's the most uncomfortable with the phrase. He has some survivor guilt and feels that he "could have done more" so all that "Thank you" stuff really does make him feel awkward. I can understand that, even though logically it doesn't make much sense.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:30 PM

242 posts, read 412,981 times
He volunteered. It was his choice to serve...for whatever reason. He was paid for his time. We owe him nothing more and he need not be special/above anyone else.

I am happy to ignore him if that is his desire. I would rather remember my grandfather who served proudly and never missed an opportunity to talk about his service with a gleam in his eye.

RIP Grandpa Floyd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events